Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I would not want to make the commute between Mountainair and Albuq very often. There are only 2-lane roads once you leave IH-40 or IH-25. Housing options in Mountainair are limited and mostly old, makeshift or mobile homes.

I would not commute from Mountainair to ABQ every day but once or twice a week it would be OK. I think the place is just far enough out of town to be able to enjoy a real country life and all it has to offer but still be within an hour of entertainment and shopping. Anyways, my opinion only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM

154 posts, read 346,181 times
Thanks, I forgot about the desire for 3 acres.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
We saw the little-est kids walking around that should have been being watched by their parents! But wait a minute. Could this little New Mexico town be...safe?
Socorro is above the national average for crime, and pretty standard for NM.

It has nothing to do with safety. You don't usually see kids loose anymore because parents are paranoid... yet there is less crime than there was 40 years ago when kids roamed free. So why are parents paranoid? Fear sells I guess.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - Your post is a description of Socorro. I suggest looking for newer houses on the farmland along the Rio Grande. These places apparently have city utilities. Please note that acreage in NM is not green grassland. It is brown seared semi desert until the summer monsoon rains. Then it is spectacular for a couple of weeks.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 201,024 times
I live in Capitan, about 20 miles north of Ruidoso. The scenery and low humidity are awesome. I moved here from the Gulf Coast 11 years ago for the scenery and cool summers. While I still love my scenery and summer weather, I now have to face the lack of quality medical care in most of this state. I can see the day when I will have to move due to the medical issue. I wish now I had chosen somewhere closer to ABQ. Oh, and in the spring the wind blows quite fiercely, filling the air with dirt from White Sands monument to the southwest. It is pretty much awful and I pick spring to leave the state for any reason I can find.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM

21 posts, read 201,024 times
I wouldn't say that land is cheap in New Mexico, at least not where you are going to be anywhere near civilization. Cost of living is not too bad, but not as low cost as the Southeast U.S. Property taxes are reasonable. It is best to choose property that has access to a town water supply and not depend on drilling a water well. Water wells are very expensive and the water is sometimes not fit to drink, if they even find water.
I like Bernalillo but you are not going to get any acreage there. Placitas is more spread out, but more expensive than average. Edgewood is close to ABQ but still has a mountain feel to it, and less expensive than ABQ. Santa Fe and surrounding towns is beautiful but expensive and restrictive. Pecos is close to Santa Fe via I-25 and a little less expensive. Don't go to Las Vegas. They have an issue with crime, more so than the rest of the state.
Most of all, don't expect New Mexico to be like "other states". In many ways it is still backwards. Nothing happens quickly, including the arrival of the repairman you have tracked down. Prepare to wait for whatever you need, if they show up at all. The only "cities" are Las Cruces and ABQ/Rio Rancho. There are not many people in the state outside of those cities. In Lincoln County, businesses close regularly...quoting a lack of regular customers. Sure, summertime brings lots of part time people, but the rest of the year it is brutal business wise.
But Yes, I do Love it Here!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
It's cheap for my wishes anyway. I've been all over the west and NM land is cheap compared to anyplace else I'd consider living... or at least that was the case when I moved here 8 years ago! NM property values have been pretty steady while some others declined.

I like sun, mild climate, low humidity, trees, high altitude... good access, utilities, not too far from a decent town, etc. I think 5 acres for $50-80k or so is reasonable. For instance there are many lots in the pinion and juniper forest east of Albuquerque that fit that description, and are only ~30-45 min from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico