Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Probably so that no one could opt out of the huge fees they charge for city water...

I know the development you spoke of fairly well... it's Copper Canyon/Ridge. When they were deep drilling the runoff went down the seasonal stream that goes through my property. Hubbard usually gets his way, so I'm not sure how all that went down. I wonder what is going on with the people who already purchased lots and built houses there expecting a golf course?

Do you know where Rainmaker and Outlaw are getting their water? I was informed recently that the Links got all theirs from a pond on the site. I think it's illegal for most people to do that though... use the water that falls on your property.
What fees are typically charged for city water/sewer/trash?

My water this last month (not watering the tiny two section yard) was $68.84 (water/20.72, trash/31.40 and the rest sewer/tax). The trash pickup is the highest I've ever had in TX.

I miss my Farmington bills--relatively cheap by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Do you know where Rainmaker and Outlaw are getting their water? I was informed recently that the Links got all theirs from a pond on the site. I think it's illegal for most people to do that though... use the water that falls on your property.
I know that Rainmakers bought the water company already in place before the golf course ever announced its construction. The water company and water rights served the Sun Valley area. I know they drilled additionial wells since golf course construction first started. They made a great show of "water conservation" measures in the media. How it actually works now, I couldn't say. But that grass on their course is the greenest you'll find on any of the areas 8 or so full-sized golf courses.

I know very little about The Outlaw. It has stayed under the radar from what I have observed. It went into bankruptcy with the recent real estate bust and was taken over by the much older Alto Country Club.

The Links has a sweetheart deal with the village, which owns the land and the water rights that the previously mentioned owner of the Ruidoso Downs race track "leased" for construction of the golf course he funded. He and others also fund the large resort hotel on the city's property adjacent the city owned and operated convention center. Water from the golf course comes from several city owned wells and the city "presumably" sells the water to the gold course. But there was a big stir about ten or so years ago when it was discovered the golf course operator owed the city a huge sum in unpaid lease monies, and that suit was settled for pennies on the dollar. Since then there has been little made public and one can only wonder???

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What fees are typically charged for city water/sewer/trash?
Don't have the bill handy but it's been between $110 and $130 lately. My wife pays it and I don't recall the breakdown, but I do know it is quite easy to get over the base water amount and have to pay per gallon fees on top. That's just with two of us and no outside watering.

Found a bill... $116 last month.

$32 water (3630 gal)
$16 sewer
$37 wastewater (?)
$13 garbage
$12 yard waste
plus tax

Last edited by rruff; 12-02-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I know very little about The Outlaw. It has stayed under the radar from what I have observed. It went into bankruptcy with the recent real estate bust and was taken over by the much older Alto Country Club.
Outlaw is doing great now. I ride through there sometimes, and every month it seems like a another half dozen mansions are being put up. They have no trouble selling those 1-2 acre lots for $100k.

It is a little annoying that all these golf courses are able to maintain beautiful lawns, while we aren't allowed to water *anything* outside, and pay >$100/mo just to flush toilets and take showers. There are a lot of shenanigans in this town, and not just about water.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Don't have the bill handy but it's been between $110 and $130 lately. My wife pays it and I don't recall the breakdown, but I do know it is quite easy to get over the base water amount and have to pay per gallon fees on top. That's just with two of us and no outside watering.

Found a bill... $116 last month.

$32 water (3630 gal)
$16 sewer
$37 wastewater (?)
$13 garbage
$12 yard waste
plus tax
Thanks, I appreciate it a lot!

Everything seems logical to me except for two items--your ? wastewater and yard waste. What little yard waste I have goes into the dumpster. I'm going to assume that those two items are tacked on whether you like it or not....!

I am beginning to realize just how spoiled rotten I got in Farmington.

City-owned electric co-op, no nonsense crap about having to choose a provider. Water, electric, sewer and trash were all on the same bill, and typically ran about $110/month for ALL of that.

All services available and installed in a reasonable timeframe, and done RIGHT the first time. I was never stood up, and if a serviceperson was going to be late--or couldn't make it the same day, I was called to set up another appointment.

Alamogordo was horrible about nearly all services, and while jobs were mostly done ok, getting stood up was common.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
I live alone, but still water outdoors in warm weather but here is my bill for last month when I did no outdoor watering. Understand that Ruidoso Village has a base rate that applies to 3,000 gals. of water per month. You pay for it whether or not you use that much. Go over 3,000 and you pay more. Sewer and waste water fees go up proportionate to the amount of water used.

My last bill:
Water - 1840 gals. = $28.56
Sewer = 15.97
Wastewater = 37.12 (this is to pay off the expense of upgrading the treatment plant).
Garbage = 13.20 fixed rate
Yard Waste = 4.00 fixed fee
Misc Water Fee = 0.06 (Haven't a clue!)
Taxes - 4.95

Total = $103.86

Last edited by joqua; 12-02-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm going to assume that those two items are tacked on whether you like it or not....!
Oh you bet...

I haven't produced much yard waste at all, but this includes thinning and tree cutting waste which is something we periodically have to do here. You just dump it out next to the road and they pick it up.

I have no idea why "waste water" isn't just in the sewer bill since it all flows down the same pipe. Maybe they charge that even to people who have a septic?

At any rate as high as the fees are, I'd still rather pay that than have a well (even if it was legal) and an aerobic septic system, since these would be more hassle and probably just as expensive.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:58 PM

Looks like the only thing cheaper for you is the "water" charge and the "yard waste". Sewer and waste water aren't based on the amount you use, apparently. Weird that "yard waste" is less... any idea why?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Oh you bet...

I haven't produced much yard waste at all, but this includes thinning and tree cutting waste which is something we periodically have to do here. You just dump it out next to the road and they pick it up.

I have no idea why "waste water" isn't just in the sewer bill since it all flows down the same pipe. Maybe they charge that even to people who have a septic?

At any rate as high as the fees are, I'd still rather pay that than have a well (even if it was legal) and an aerobic septic system, since these would be more hassle and probably just as expensive.
I wanted city water/sewer for exactly the same reasons.

Wells can and do go dry, water quality can change over time--and I know that there are always issues with septic. I just don't want to mess with them.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
... water quality can change over time...
Water quality is pretty consistent here... awful!

Did you hear about the Ruidoso water department filtering the water before it was EPA tested? This was a couple years ago. I was in the habit of drinking the tap water, but no more after I got two bouts of giardia like symptoms and then found out our water wasn't fit to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico