Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 23,041 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to the west coast -- either PNW, CA, or SW. We're living in MA right now, and we're really frustrated by the rude people here and how difficult it is to make friends or become a part of a community. We're both Spanish speakers and will be starting a family soon. We want to raise our kids bilingual, and we'd like to raise them to be kind, friendly people with a lot of access to nature.

I'm a teacher, so I can usually find a job in most locales. My husband is a computer software/electric engineer. Any recommendations for areas to look at in NM with good opportunities for his area?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingcat23 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to the west coast -- either PNW, CA, or SW. We're living in MA right now, and we're really frustrated by the rude people here and how difficult it is to make friends or become a part of a community. We're both Spanish speakers and will be starting a family soon. We want to raise our kids bilingual, and we'd like to raise them to be kind, friendly people with a lot of access to nature.

I'm a teacher, so I can usually find a job in most locales. My husband is a computer software/electric engineer. Any recommendations for areas to look at in NM with good opportunities for his area?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
In my experience software engineer jobs are scarce in NM, even less in non-govt sector. Cannot attest to electrical engineer jobs. In addition, getting into a position may entail more than just a nice resume. Again, in my experience, there is a quite a bit of "buddy buddy" going on in NM (got to know someone to get in). Just my personal experience.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks for your response, "LordyLordy." Your comment confirms what we had suspected. Maybe our best plan will be to actually live in the PNW and visit New Mexico when we need to dry out. I appreciate your kind and honest response.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
I think you're in for a shock. If you really want to work go where the jobs are go to Texas. I recently met a Volvo salesman here in CT who said more Volvos are sold in TX than anywhere else in the US.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response, "LordyLordy." Your comment confirms what we had suspected. Maybe our best plan will be to actually live in the PNW and visit New Mexico when we need to dry out. I appreciate your kind and honest response.
Please understand that what I wrote are my opinions and experiences, others may have a completely different view. I have tried to get a job for 5 years in the same field in NM, my resume is stellar, I have worked for some pretty cool employers all over the country and did some pretty cool stuff but in all of 5 years I got one interview over the phone in NM. One! And believe me I tried, I was willing to take a pay cut, everything...

In any case, here is a thought: I now work from home (in the same field) and I can live anywhere I can get high speed internet. This is how we intend to move to NM or SW Texas. Maybe your husband can do the same.

Anyways, my two cents.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
I'd take Lordy's suggestion and look into online work or starting his own business, if that would be acceptable to your husband. Some people are well suited to doing their own thing and others not. For me it is way better than having a real job.

Also about living in the PNW vs the SW, they are extremely different as far as climate goes. NM is the sunniest state in the winter while the PNW is the least sunny. I couldn't abide living up there unless it was Ashland or Bend OR.

Are you prefer to live in a large urban area or something smaller?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Thanks for your responses, LordyLordy and rruff. We have talked about the idea of moving to NM and my husband working remotely from home. I think, though, that we're not quite ready for that. We really want more community. If we had a strong community, then I think it would be a more pleasant option to work from home. We're thinking about the PNW... but taking a sunny vacation to NM. Maybe that would be the perfect solution for now. Thanks again for your responses!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, LordyLordy and rruff. We have talked about the idea of moving to NM and my husband working remotely from home. I think, though, that we're not quite ready for that. We really want more community. If we had a strong community, then I think it would be a more pleasant option to work from home. We're thinking about the PNW... but taking a sunny vacation to NM. Maybe that would be the perfect solution for now. Thanks again for your responses!
Only you know what's best for you!

My wife and I are the opposite, we don't like to be around people. However, when we do, we like to be around good people, not criminals and no-goods. There are parts of every state that are like that, you just have to find them. Biggest obstacle to finding your place of heaven is, in my opinion, too much choice! So many pretty places out there, it would be a full time job just to explore them!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
There are 7 pages of 'software engineer' jobs listed on the state Department of Workforce Solutions web site http://jobs.state.nm.us/

Most are federal contractors but it looks like maybe a few aren't.

THere are 9 pages for 'electrical engineer'

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
I think, though, that we're not quite ready for that. We really want more community. If we had a strong community, then I think it would be a more pleasant option to work from home.
Could you unpack that a little more, because I don't understand what you mean? Working at home on your own schedule makes it easy to be a part of the community where you *live*. Unless you are referring to the workplace as the community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico