Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 12,243 times

Advertisements

We like imagining retirement in NM and have found the climate of both Silver City and Alamogordo to suit us. Silver City appeals because we like the Gila. Alamogordo because it is closer to everything else. Silver City has a crime rate that worries us, but is supposed to sit on a nice aquifer. Alamogordo has to rely on surface water and is working on a desalination plan, so big worries there, but its crime rate is much better. Any constructive thoughts or corrections would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Why not Las Cruces and have the best of both worlds - half way between Silver City and Alamogordo?

Silver City will be milder in summer, but Alamogordo and Las Cruces are virtually the same in all seasons.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottag0 View Post
supposed to sit on a nice aquifer. Alamogordo has to rely on surface water and is working on a desalination plan, so big worries there

Any constructive thoughts or corrections would be appreciated.
I don't know what that really means... Did you know arsenic, a natural occurring element can occur in New Mexico water? (As well as in other states)

Here is the City of Alamogordo 2014 Water Quality Report: http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/Assets/CO...eport+2014.pdf

There are 13 types of tests conducted. There where 0, zero violations...

The Alamogordo yearly tests going back to 2004 are listed here: Water Quality Report

My thoughts? We have lived in Rio Rancho, New Mexico for 16+ years. I have been to the Alamogordo area in the 60's, 70's and we have visited Silver City, and have met people who lived in Silver City at one time. We have lived in rural areas, which is just not for us. We would prefer Alamogordo over Silver City...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-22-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 07:19 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
We like imagining retirement in NM and have found the climate of both Silver City and Alamogordo to suit us. Silver City appeals because we like the Gila. Alamogordo because it is closer to everything else. Silver City has a crime rate that worries us, but is supposed to sit on a nice aquifer. Alamogordo has to rely on surface water and is working on a desalination plan, so big worries there, but its crime rate is much better. Any constructive thoughts or corrections would be appreciated.

Are you planning to sell millions of gallons of bottled water, farm a big spread, or water a few thousand head of cattle? Or just afraid you will have to buy some water to drink? According to city data's crime stats the overall crime rates are similar between the 2 towns but I'm not sure what you looked at.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:00 PM

Silver City has a significantly higher crime rate than Alamogordo based on the City-City data numbers. Make sure you compare the same years.

Overall Crime Rate for 2012 Alamogordo vs Silver City was 201.0 vs 594.1 and the national average is around 294 - 299.0, however, just the raw numbers can be deceiving.

The charts are at:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Alamog...ew-Mexico.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Silver...ew-Mexico.html

From the FBI for 2012: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._city_2012.xls

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-23-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
I was looking at these maps which show the rate as "high" for both. I never scrolled down to the tables

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

Looks like the overall crime rates are higher in Silver (which surprises me. I don't know why) but the murder rate since 2008 is much higher in Alamo (which also surprises me...not the rate, just that sheer fact that 14 murders have occurred in such a small city in that period).

Why does Silver have such a high crime rate?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Alamogordo has to rely on surface water and is working on a desalination plan, so big worries there...
Here is a reference to a 40 year water plan for Alamogordo last updated in Oct. 2014:

Alamogordo Regional 40 Year Plan

It should be noted that the Big Bear fire in 2008 seriously damaged the surface water supply from Bonito Lake in the Sacramento Mtns. That water supply also feeds Holloman AFB - which is a significant user - along with a number of other entities that have "rights" to Bonito Lake water.

Here is a reference to the Oct. 2014 report:

Alamogordo Desalination Project

There are several really good maps/diagrams of the overall water systems in that report.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I was looking at these maps which show the rate as "high" for both. I never scrolled down to the tables

Looks like the overall crime rates are higher in Silver (which surprises me. I don't know why) but the murder rate since 2008 is much higher in Alamo (which also surprises me...not the rate, just that sheer fact that 14 murders have occurred in such a small city in that period).

Why does Silver have such a high crime rate?
Crime rate and number of crimes are two different issues, which is why crimes in small towns can be misleading. The charts show crime per 100,000 population.

Silver City in 2008 had 1 murder and the crime rate per 100,000 population was 10.1 - Population in 2013 was 10,273. Silver City had a higher crime rate of murders...
Alamogordo in 2008 had 3 murder's and the crime rate per 100,000 population was 8.4 - Population in 2013: 31,368

Some people misread, don't understand, or twist statistics for various reasons. The FBI "Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics: Their Proper Use" pamphlet explains some of the issue, partially shown below. The whole document is at: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...eir-proper-use

Quote:
Pitfalls of Ranking
UCR data are sometimes used to compile rankings of individual jurisdictions and institutions
of higher learning. These incomplete analyses have often created misleading perceptions
which adversely affect geographic entities and their residents. For this reason, the FBI has a
long standing policy against ranking participating law enforcement agencies on the basis of
crime data alone. Despite repeated warnings against these practices, some data users
continue to challenge and misunderstand this position.

Data users should not rank locales because there are many factors that cause the nature
and type of crime to vary from place to place. UCR statistics include only jurisdictional
population figures along with reported crime, clearance, or arrest data. Rankings ignore the
uniqueness of each locale.

Some factors that are known to affect the volume and type of crime occurring from place to place are:
• Population density and degree of urbanization
• Variations in composition of the population, particularly youth concentration
• Stability of the population with respect to residents’ mobility, commuting patterns, and transient factors
• Economic conditions, including median income, poverty level, and job availability

Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Why is the Crime Rate so important to so many people? I have lived in places with high crime rates and have not been bothered mostly because I do not travel into the crime infested areas and when I have to I am well armed. Even in the worst parts of town the likelihood of an assault is quite low.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
I alway thought road rage in smaller NM towns would be pretty non-existant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico