Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 19,022 times

Advertisements

Good morning to all. I am thinking of returning to NM to live permanently. I am wondering how the job outlook/prospects are for full-time employment for over age 55 with a paralegal, legal secretary, administrative assistant working background is. I would rather hear it from those who live in NM instead of government generated reports. Thank you, it is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:03 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
There are plenty of lawyers in NM. Some of them are doing well enough to hire a paralegal/legal secretary, others not as much.

If wherever you're living now hasn't spoiled your taste for living the dream at $3/hr over minimum wage, and you have enough people skills and drive to be a successful paralegal/legal secretary, shouldn't pose too much of a problem to find work.

That said, I'm sure this state is full of unemployed paralegal/legal secretaries.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,979 times
As a dad with a daughter with a JD living in ABQ I can only say your prospects are dim. So dim that she is finally going to sit for the bar for whatever good that will do.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
As a dad with a daughter with a JD living in ABQ I can only say your prospects are dim. So dim that she is finally going to sit for the bar for whatever good that will do.
Why do you say that? My wife has a JD as well as 2 other family members. None of which feel the way you do. I also know several paralegals that have been gainfully employed for many many years.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM

199 posts, read 183,951 times
Quote:
I am also curious about your statement. The job prospects for a law school graduate greatly increase after passing the bar and becoming admitted in the state where the graduate wants to work.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,680 times
Quote:
I'm an attorney who practiced for many years in another state before moving to NM as a pre-retirement move. I work for a state agency here now. Although they may not be glamorous jobs, the public defenders are always hiring, as are CYFD and HSD. Also, there always seem to be ads in the bar journal for various types of firms looking for lawyers -- small criminal and plaintiff firms to insurance defense to boutique employment, land use, etc.

As for the OP, I think there are always opportunities for good, competent, non-insane legal staff -- both in private firms and government. We in the state agencies are in an unofficial, don't-say-it-out-loud hiring freeze at the moment, otherwise, we'd have two paralegal openings just in my agency (vacancies, just waiting for $$ to fill).

Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM

Thanks to all of you for responding, it certainly is appreciated. The job outlook in the legal field as a non-attorney is not as bleak as was thought. I am a hard worker with significant experience in the legal/administrative field and hopefully, will be a short time before being employed in New Mexico.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM

To jakabedy:

Thank you for the info, your honest response is appreciated. It gives some avenues to pursue when relocate back to New Mexico in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I will try all the suggestions that you referred to. Again, thank you. Best success to you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico