Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times

Advertisements

Hey DaBux -

I sent you a DM as well with more thoughts/info, but as for the drive thing - the drive from LC to the Santa T. border crossing, I guess it depends somewhat on your tolerance for commuting...and to everyone, that is different. If one has never lived in substantially large cities/metros, they would think commuting from Las Cruces would be like coming from the end of the world, which I find kind of silly being familiar with bigger city metros.

Put it this way, you are probably looking at about roughly 40 miles or so - maybe as low as 35 and as high as 50 - depending upon where you'd be coming from in LC and the like - from LC to the crossing in ST. Thus, mileage would be kind of a hassle. The flip side though is that this is largely very, very uncongested, open, high-speed freeway travel. In other words, it is nothing close to being congested, white-knuckle, bumper to bumper 40 miles. It is a free, open, 65-80 mph freeway driving. Weather may come into play a bit during spring during occasional dust storms, but compared to most regions you could live in, this area has some of the least chances for inclement weather to hinder your drive as anywhere.

I think that you'd be crossing at Santa Theresa would be a good thing as others have pointed it. It is sort of on the "correct side" for you if you are coming down from LC, and would probably work easier coming from LC than going into a crossing in El Paso.

As others have pointed out, the ST crossing isn't as backed up / long going over as some of the main ones in EP are.

If you don't mind some time in your car, this would be very doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hey DaBux -

I sent you a DM as well with more thoughts/info, but as for the drive thing - the drive from LC to the Santa T. border crossing, I guess it depends somewhat on your tolerance for commuting...and to everyone, that is different. If one has never lived in substantially large cities/metros, they would think commuting from Las Cruces would be like coming from the end of the world, which I find kind of silly being familiar with bigger city metros.

Put it this way, you are probably looking at about roughly 40 miles or so - maybe as low as 35 and as high as 50 - depending upon where you'd be coming from in LC and the like - from LC to the crossing in ST. Thus, mileage would be kind of a hassle. The flip side though is that this is largely very, very uncongested, open, high-speed freeway travel. In other words, it is nothing close to being congested, white-knuckle, bumper to bumper 40 miles. It is a free, open, 65-80 mph freeway driving. Weather may come into play a bit during spring during occasional dust storms, but compared to most regions you could live in, this area has some of the least chances for inclement weather to hinder your drive as anywhere.

I think that you'd be crossing at Santa Theresa would be a good thing as others have pointed it. It is sort of on the "correct side" for you if you are coming down from LC, and would probably work easier coming from LC than going into a crossing in El Paso.

As others have pointed out, the ST crossing isn't as backed up / long going over as some of the main ones in EP are.

If you don't mind some time in your car, this would be very doable.
That said, EnjoyEP, I think a third lane between the I-10 and I-25 split to exit 8 in El Paso can only be a positive. Too often I've seen someone hurling down the left lane at 80-90 mph between Mesquite and Anthony, only to be obstructed by an eighteen wheel vehicle that suddenly lurches into the left lane to circumvent a slower vehicle. This section of I-10 has increased with regard to volume in the 3 years that I've lived here. However, in contrast to Milwaukee, Chicago et al, I am probably spoiled.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 23,095 times
Default Hmmm

OK Folks, this is serious. Our friend here will be greatly traumatized by his new surrondings so lets give it to him straight. First, I agree that LC would be much better than living in ELP. Second, it is a long drive, but for you broken in big city folk, this drive can be a cake walk. Now, obviously you don't want to cross at the ELP bridges and would most likely want to take the STeresa crossing, that particular crossing is currently experiencing congesation and long waits (45-60 min) due to construction on the ELP crossings. So, if you are living in Santa Teresa, which is kinda suburbia Elpaso, it would be much easier on ya and you could actually make it in time to have dinner with your family. Working in J-Town is cool and the people are great. When you move here try the drive a few times during off peak hours. PS. The Santa Teresa crossing closes at 10 or 11PM

Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 23,095 times
Default Cont'

One more thing, unless you are working in the Mexican desert pulling weeds, I dont think your job site is actually 15 minutes from STeresa. If you are traveling to the Maquilla area in south J-town, you are looking at 30-45 minutes to your site.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:31 PM

203 posts, read 714,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No, I don't work in Juarez. Domino though was good enough to mention that you are working 15 minutes from the Santa Teresa crossing, which to me, is not really Juarez any more. Your place of employment is going to be in the middle of nowhere. Bringing up the city of Juarez isn't relevant where you will be working. Since the Santa Teresa border crossing is at least 10 miles west of any border crossing in El Paso, you are actually in a more favorable position to get back to Cruces than if you were working in Juarez.
Lucky for DaBux his job is in the sticks. Juarez is not a healthy place these days, especially for an American plant manager with a routine route and schedule.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Lucky for DaBux his job is in the sticks. Juarez is not a healthy place these days, especially for an American plant manager with a routine route and schedule.
What I can't figure out exactly is where that job would be only 10-15 min over the ST border, because there is next to nothing on that road (much like the U.S. side) for at least that long, driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico