Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Still room up here on the front range. Some services are even more than slightly better.
I guess I'm glad that most people enjoy the "things" that dense clustering provides, and are willing to put up with the negatives.

Leaves more space for the rest of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:21 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I first went to NM in 2012, love at first sight upon leaving Sunport. It felt like nothing I had ever experienced. The vast endless horizons and ROOM. I lived in NYC and Hong Kong and Seattle ( which is now SF north). Tired of the rat race and now get to live starting in October a city that has enough big city amenites and not that big to make it a pita.

Last edited by 87112; 07-12-2017 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Well, some pretty thoughtful posts here about pros and cons of NM. But how about if we call it a "challenged" reputation, instead of a "bad" one.
:-)

Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
I constantly see pages where people say that New Mexico sucks and do not move there. I know crime in ABQ is quite high and Santa Fe is pretty expensive to live in but what about Las Cruces or smaller places like Taos or Tularosa. I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there. I actually love the adobe buildings (at least in pictures) and think it would be a cool place to live.
New Mexico is an extreme change for most people. If you moved here because you wanted a change (scenery, weather, culture, pace, etc.), then you probably love it here. If you moved here because you were forced to (employer, family, etc.), then you may hate it because it is so much different than what you are accustomed to. It is definitely not for everyone.

New Mexico is one of the few states where non-Hispanic whites are a minority. It is also a very poor state with very few opportunities. If you came here to escape the rat race, then none of that matters to you, but there will still be an adjustment period. It may take a year or two before you get truly comfortable with your new surroundings.

Las Cruces is growing. That said, there is an abundance of vacant land around here to build on so real estate prices are still affordable. We get a lot of retirees here from all over the US and Canada. Generally speaking, people seem to be happy here. Our families loves to visit in the fall and winter.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
We moved to NM well over 5 years ago now, and do not regret it for a minute.
The summers are very hot-----there is a beauty and mystique to New Mexico.
I love the diversity, the tolerance, and the you respect me and I will respect you attitude that is prevalent here.

Crime varies-----be careful and don't display anything in your car, and keep it locked.

We love it here, and are very glad to call NM our new hope----reputation out the window for us.
Would you mind saying what state (or general region) you moved from? I ask because I am from the East and always wonder about a culture shock moving to NM. But a lot about the state sounds good to me. Especially the many sunny days.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Still room up here on the front range. Some services are even more than slightly better. if you are curious about things, head over to the Colorado forum and we will help you out.
I already got chased away from there a few times. Just like with all the jobs I have had, I can't really afford to move some place, then retreat back a bunch of times.

Or just get myself an RV or trailer since owning a home is above my mentality.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:58 PM

472 posts, read 348,027 times
I love New Mexico! I'm a teacher and try to spend as much time in the summer there as possible. I just wish Raton would get some more jobs and more places built! Bring the old resort back, bring in more businesses there!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
According to the local radio station (KOAT/Albuquerque), NEW MEXICO RANKS 2ND in the nation for violent crime.
And Albuquerque RANKS 5th in the nation as being the most violent city.
The ABC Journal (leading newspaper in the state), concurs with these statistics as well as Federal Crime Statistical reporting agencies.
Just these two documented statistics should be reason enough for the OP to figure out why NM and Albuquerque have such lousy reputations.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 AM

356 posts, read 503,296 times
Lots of ways to juggle those metrics:

https://wallethub.com/edu/safest-sta...-live-in/4566/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

ABQ is 74th out of 100 on this list:

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Gallup makes this list:

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/

You know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
According to the local radio station (KOAT/Albuquerque), NEW MEXICO RANKS 2ND in the nation for violent crime.
And Albuquerque RANKS 5th in the nation as being the most violent city.
The ABC Journal (leading newspaper in the state), concurs with these statistics as well as Federal Crime Statistical reporting agencies.
Just these two documented statistics should be reason enough for the OP to figure out why NM and Albuquerque have such lousy reputations.
When a hiker gets mauled by a Grizz do they count it as a violent crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico