Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 AM

356 posts, read 503,633 times

Advertisements

1Grin, you make an important point in that New Mexico is a land of stark contrasts, not just enchantment. I was always struck by the pockets of profound poverty often associated with rancheria boundaries. Heartbreaking but true, and higher crime rates go hand in hand with poverty. These are weighted into the overall averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
lack of greenery and water.
You made a lot of good points. But a lack of "greenery and water" hasn't hurt other western states. And it's plenty green where I live and in much of NM.

A side benefits to the lack of water are a lack of bugs (mosquitoes), and clear blue skies.

Avg annual precipitation:

44. Colorado 15.97
45. Montana 15.37
46. New Mexico 14.63
47. Arizona 13.61
48. Wyoming 12.97
49. Utah 12.26
50. Nevada 9.54

Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
There are indeed some green places in New Mexico, but I would estimate that 90%+ of the population lives in areas that receive around 10 inches of precipitation or less per year. Most areas that are green simply do not have the economy to support any significant population.

A notable exception would be the riparian strip of the Rio Grande which allows people to live in a fairly lush environment, by interior West standards and work in Albuquerque or the Rio Communities, and I presume something similar exists down by Las Cruces.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are indeed some green places in New Mexico, but I would estimate that 90%+ of the population lives in areas that receive around 10 inches of precipitation or less per year. Most areas that are green simply do not have the economy to support any significant population.
That's true of other western mountain states as well. We can speculate on why that is the case, but it certainly isn't because the greener and wetter areas don't exist.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:07 AM

163 posts, read 171,634 times
I really feel compelled to chime in here. I've been to NM twice now, my fiance has been there many times, and he is simply in love with it. We live in the Norfolk, VA area where you get a huge influx of people living here from all over the country due to the military bases. I've lived here in the "Hampton Roads" area all my life, and the region has become SO overpopulated, crime is WAYY too prevalent, and the traffic is unbearable. We're moving to the La Luz/High Rolls area by the end of this year which is in the Southern portion of the state.

I am hyper-aware of the crime (mostly in ABQ and denser cities), lack of water and jobs in many regions, and the poor educational system. We are more than willing to sacrifice being close to large shopping areas and densely populated areas in exchange for the peace and quiet along with the beautiful landscapes and nature. It's all about perspective. I can certainly see why NM has a "bad reputation", but bear in mind that EVERY state has its downsides. And for us, we're willing to get away from the awful traffic and crime (not just general crime-I am talking murders that have happened here within BLOCKS of our home) in exchange for a long drive just to get groceries and accepting lower paying jobs.

The housing costs in NM where we are looking blow me away. You can get a lot more for your money, and I am fortunate in that I am a freelancer so I can take my work with me. I'll be honest: If I did not have that luxury, I may not consider moving there. But since I am fortunate in that respect, I am more than excited to write as I look out of my window at beautiful mountains rather than a black top parking lot full of cars. Just my two cents.

It really does depend on your outlook, what you want, and what you can sacrifice. I think my biggest concern is availability/proximity to good healthcare. My fiance's children are staying in VA with their mother to finish school, so education isn't a concern personally, however it does still affect everyone in some way. I really pray one day NM can improve its jobs market, education, etc to see some improvement in those regards, but the state as a whole is gorgeous and I've found the people to be very warm and welcoming. (Thus far LOL)

Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
People can be highly influenced by what they see on TV. Breaking Bad did not show ABQ as a very positive place. Maybe there are lingering impressions from that show.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
People can be highly influenced by what they see on TV. Breaking Bad did not show ABQ as a very positive place. Maybe there are lingering impressions from that show.
We had friends visit us from Tucson a few days ago. Their main visit was for the car show. Then some other tourist items. And their last item was visiting some of the Breaking Bad film locations.

I don't think there are lingering impressions from a TV series... Albuquerque Major Chavez stopped the filming of the TV Series Cops in Albuquerque. That did not stop the TV series nor did it decrease crime. The crime situation is more complex than one just issue...

Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
I am fortunate in that I am a freelancer so I can take my work with me....It really does depend on your outlook, what you want, and what you can sacrifice.
When it became possible for many people to work remotely, I expected to see a migration to smaller towns and rural areas of the SW. But the opposite has happened. For some reason people want to cluster in big cities more than ever. Traffic, crime, noise, COL, etc. Maybe social media plays a part? Addictive constant stimulation. Peacefulness, what is that? A walk in the wilderness, how boring! There's nothing going on there.

IMO the healthcare, education, crime levels, and everything are fine. COL is low in most of NM *because" it is adequate but isn't upscale, so be careful what you wish for. I like the slow growth, great climate, and wide open spaces.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM

163 posts, read 171,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
When it became possible for many people to work remotely, I expected to see a migration to smaller towns and rural areas of the SW. But the opposite has happened. For some reason, people want to cluster in big cities more than ever. Traffic, crime, noise, COL, etc. Maybe social media plays a part? Addictive constant stimulation. Peacefulness, what is that? A walk in the wilderness, how boring! There's nothing going on there.

IMO the healthcare, education, crime levels, and everything are fine. COL is low in most of NM *because" it is adequate but isn't upscale, so be careful what you wish for. I like the slow growth, great climate, and wide open spaces.
I agree, I do not understand why you'd WANT to be around a lot of people and crime/traffic/noise but I think some people are just predisposed to enjoy that kind of environment, while others are not. My neighborhood is fairly quiet, but it has its moments, and the minute you drive out of it, you're thrust into traffic and tons of people. I much prefer the solitude and quiet of nature. Most of my friends think I am nuts, but hey! I'll be happy to soak in a little solitude and peace someday

Wide open spaces is our goal...

Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Interesting. Even comparing a locality to itself may be deceiving. As new local leaders are elected, and new law enforcement officials are appointed, priorities often change. New leaders will want to show progress and may be tempted to selectively enforce the laws or manipulate the data. Even the murder rate can be skewed.
True...politics has a role in these numbers. In some places (not necessarily NM) you can watch arrest, prosecution, and conviction numbers increase heading into election year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico