Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times

Advertisements

No poll, just a thread to discuss the Governor's race this year. The primary is coming up soon, early voting to start May 19 (in Bernalillo County), with primary election day on June 5.

There are four candidates from the Democratic Party: Jeff Apodaca, Joe Cervantes, Peter DeBenedettis, and Michelle Lujan Grisham. One Republican candidate: Steve Pearce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 07:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
Whoever is for legalization is good. Which are?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
From https://ballotpedia.org/New_Mexico_g...election,_2018

Candidates

See also: Statistics on gubernatorial candidates, 2018

Governor
Primary candidates

See also: New Mexico gubernatorial election, 2018 (June 5 Democratic primary)

Democratic Party Democrats

Jeff Apodaca[3]
Joseph Cervantes - New Mexico State Senator[4]
Michelle Lujan Grisham - U.S. Representative[5]

Withdrew

Peter DeBenedittis[6][7]

See also: New Mexico gubernatorial election, 2018 (June 5 Republican primary)

Republican Party Republicans

Steve Pearce - U.S. Representative [8]

Independent Independents

Withdrew

Christopher Michael Roybal[9]

Lieutenant governor
Primary candidates

Democratic Party Democrats

Billy Garrett - Doña Ana County Commissioner[10]
Rick Miera - Former New Mexico State Representative[11]
Howie Morales - State Sen[12]

Withdrawn

Jeff Carr - Former Public Education Commissioner[11][13]
Javier Gonzales - Santa Fe Mayor[14][15]
David McTeigue[11]
Michael Padilla - New Mexico State Senator[16][17]

Republican Party Republicans

Michelle Garcia Holmes[18]

Withdrawn

Kelly Zunie - Former Cabinet Secretary [19]

Old 04-28-2018, 09:30 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
From Albuquerque Journal, Mar. 16, 2018:

Two of the three Democrats seeking the party's gubernatorial nomination are in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana.

U.S. Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who outpaced her rivals at last weekend's pre primary convention, said Thursday that she supports the concept but wants an analysis to be conducted on how other legal cannabis states have handled children's safety and impaired driving issues before such a law is enacted.

"I am committed to working with the Legislature to move towards legalizing recreational cannabis in a way that improves public safety, boosts state revenues and allows for New Mexico businesses to grow into this new market," Lujan Grisham said.

Jeff Apodaca, a former Albuquerque media executive, vowed he would work with legislators during the 2019 session to legalize cannabis for adult use and expand the state's medical marijuana program.

"New Mexico has suffered from foot dragging for too long — we need big ideas if we want to stop being last in everything," Apodaca said Thursday. "I'm proposing major change to leave behind old cannabis laws and legalize it to create new jobs and industries."

For his part, state Sen. Joseph Cervantes of Las Cruces has sponsored legislative proposals to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use, but said he'd be wary of full-fledged legalization.

"The states which have just legalized marijuana don't have New Mexico's drug, DWI and crime problems, and as governor these have to be among my first priorities," Cervantes said in a statement.

The lone Republican running for governor, U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, has also opposed legalizing marijuana.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Judging by the slate of candidates, a good number of people I know are going to have a lot fewer reasons to visit Antonito and Trinidad come 2019.

Potheads are too incapacitated to drive, or drive 15mph under the speed limit. That's a win against our DWI problem.

Our drug problems and crime problems (pretty much the same problems) would also let up if self-medicating individuals didn't have as much trouble locating (or affording) alternatives to alcohol, antidepressants, and opioids.

I don't use, I've never used, but I can read, and I can count.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Judging by the slate of candidates, a good number of people I know are going to have a lot fewer reasons to visit Antonito and Trinidad come 2019.

Potheads are too incapacitated to drive, or drive 15mph under the speed limit. That's a win against our DWI problem.

Our drug problems and crime problems (pretty much the same problems) would also let up if self-medicating individuals didn't have as much trouble locating (or affording) alternatives to alcohol, antidepressants, and opioids.

I don't use, I've never used, but I can read, and I can count.
Well,It's obvious you are turning a BLIND EYE to medical benefits of Cannabis. BTW your turn "Potheads" isn't accurate by normal usage. Sure there are some who abuse it, traffic it, taint it with toxic chemicals, and the majority who do.. rather partake to "Chill OUT"..

Personally, due to my age ..never utilized it.. however, won't deny trying it. It wasn't my cup of tea! That doesn't mean, I haven't seen positive affects either..

Working in Trauma/ER's dealing with side affects of DRUG usage.. Never ever , in over 2.5 decades did I ever see anyone aggressive or threatening... unless those few who did..had tainted/altenative additives/+ other drugs onboard ( Meth/Speed) the list was endless! Gateway drug was a misnomer attached to Marijuana .. because the item's you attribute and blame on Cannabis is misplaced!

So, IF someone does Cannabis then mixes with Alcohol, + pills + unknown mixtures... WHY is all blamed on Cannabis? It's because some abuse it.. not unlike alcohol or other prescribes drugs to cause direct affects! Drug companies along with Physicians who prescribe them also are part of the problem!

Lets face it, drug/substance abuse by the few are somehow blinding and allowing folks like yourself to blame something so beneficial ( Cannabis) and dirty it UP all due to ignorance! No Government will ever be able to legislate humans ( Citizen's) to act responsibility .. THAT goes also for " GUN Possession" !

Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 AM

Wow. Someone needs to switch to the Indica.
(to the non-420-speaking crowd, Indica is the mellowing-out, "in di couch", varietar of the doob)

Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Election will take place on November 6, 2018. It appears Steve Pearce and Michelle Lujan Grisham are the choices for New Mexico Governor.

Pearce will be my choice, has the experience and Grisham appears to be trying, but is lacking. That's just my opinion...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 AM

"Has the experience" always struck me as a "if you can't say anything nice" bromide.

I don't get the perception of different experience anyway. Grisham's won three consecutive house races, and Pearce four (plus three nonconsecutive). Both of those add up to zero experience being governor or even leader of much of anything. Also, there's a groundswell of "throw the bums out" from all sides, and our last two presidents had even less impressive political track records heading into the White House, so experience is a double-edged sword.

Capt. Pearce has run for senate twice and lost. I voted for him in his '08 bid in the primary because Heather Wilson would've had a chance to beat Bingaman, and Pearce had no chance. It was spoiler votes like this that made the difference.

It's a pretty clear choice- birther, climate change denier, and anti-pot-legalizer, or the opposite of all that. Kinda refreshing that at least this race, this time, isn't like choosing between the less evil of two evil clones.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
I'll be voting for Pearce, mostly because of Lujan Grisham's position on illegal immigration and immigration policy generally. Until the Democrats back away from their support for de facto open borders, I'll mostly be voting Republican. Lujan Grisham's frequent grandstanding on the issue the radical fringe has been a big turnoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico