Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 AM

427 posts, read 367,672 times

Advertisements

Will be cruising through the state and wondering how the norms are for the area. I see the speed limit is 75. Is 80 ok? Any danger zones for speed traps? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I am old and had my share of traffic violations years ago. I also saw a lot of car crashes when I drove a wrecker...

I-40 in New Mexico is 373.5 miles. Driving 80 mph instead of 75 mph will save you about 20 minutes. What the heck, why not just do 90 mph if your in such a hurry...

or take a break: Things to See Off Interstate 40 in New Mexico | USA Today

I-40 goes from jam-packed traffic sometimes in Albuquerque to unbelievable scenery in other areas...

Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Interesting question. The speed limit is 75 and I think most drivers stay a few miles under 85 but, being a major east-west route, you will have a lot of amateurs driving u-hauls or pulling trailers and folks with campers dragging their car behind them. Add the hundreds of long-haul trucks and a few busses and it gets to the point where 75 is too fast when all bunched up. There are designated zones around the main cities where the speed limit drops and fines are doubled and enforced. That's the same way with construction zones. Think $$$. The descent through the canyon from Moriarty westward into Albuquerque is nearly 2,000 feet and can be a white-knuckle stretch for some folks so you might see some slower drivers there.

I think there's a classic car museum not far from the Texas border that I stopped at once.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
A good rule of thumb is to slow down to the 65mph speed limit when you enter the "cities" along the route, and then push your luck on the open stretches. It's not foolproof, but almost all cops like to hang out just outside the cities rather than 20 miles from anywhere. By cities I mean Santa Rosa, Tucumcari, places with more than one freeway exit.

I-40 east of Albuquerque for some reason is full of cars from Oklahoma going 20 under the speed limit. It's weird. It's not unusual for traffic to keep you from speeding (or going the speed limit!) on open stretches.

Radar detectors are pretty useless in that hill country as well. Cops have the perfect spots just over the hills staked out; by the time you hear the chirp, you're painted.

Also be aware of wind and its impact on your vehicle and more importantly the moving trucks and big rigs around you. It can occasionally get pretty extreme.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
i would just drive the speed limit if i was u,OP.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:38 PM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I-40 east of Albuquerque for some reason is full of cars from Oklahoma going 20 under the speed limit. It's weird.
Not any weirder than all the cars from New Mexico driving the same speed they do on I-40 going down 68 from Taos to Espanola.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 65,809 times
I used to live in Gallup, NM, and would drive to Albuquerque a couple of times a month for work and such. I have never seen so many deadly accidents in my life as the stretch between Gallup and Grants, and the root cause for most of the accidents was excessive speed for the road conditions. You name it, I saw it. Collisions with deer and dogs; sleepy drivers, especially the truckers; drunks (Gallup was "drunk town USA"); dusty conditions near Grants; ice; wind; etc. I once had to drive to Albuquerque during a winter's day, and counted 14 cars or so in the ditch or median due to icy conditions; every single one was a pickup or SUV (there were no sedans or trucks).

Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM

427 posts, read 367,672 times
I didn't see any cops in NM

Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Are the state troopers on I 40 east of NM in Texas stricter when it comes to speed laws? I would think the NM troopers are pretty laid back like everyone else in the state is.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Are the state troopers on I 40 east of NM in Texas stricter when it comes to speed laws? I would think the NM troopers are pretty laid back like everyone else in the state is.
This is simply anecdata, but blasting through the panhandle at 20 over resulted in a warning in Texas.
I've never gotten warnings in eastern NM, but I have gotten tickets. Plural.

Sadly, with few exceptions (oil and gas being one), traffic tickets _are_ the Eastern NM economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico