Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Alamos New Mexico. I just find it very interesting that I cannot get my vehicle registered at the Los Alamos New Mexico department of motor vehicle when it is raining outside. They have to go outside to inspect the vehicle and they will not do that in the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:24 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
djphb57 reported:

> ... interesting that I cannot get my vehicle registered .... when it is raining > ... inspect the vehicle ... not ... in the rain.

That's more funny than interesting, but that's because it didn't happen to me.

Fortunately, rain doesn't happen much anywhere in NM.

My guess is that at MVD Express, they have modern technology for dealing with precipitation and *can* complete your registration at any time.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Like coats and umbrellas mortimer ? hehe
Took me over a year to get my license from my MVD.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Red face NM Dept. of Motor Vehicles: A place for laughter, a place for tears

When I first moved to New Mexico (to Las Cruces at that point), I was surprised at how empty the stores were on rainy days--I guess that desert people just don't go out when it's wet.

I volunteer at an elementary school here in Clovis and I was surprised that one day after a rainfall the principal made a special announcement over the PA system that there would be outdoor recess in spite of the puddles. I'm used to the schools in New Hampshire where recess was called off only when the wind chill factor got down to 15 degrees.

But back to the topic: Nothing that happens at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles anywhere in New Mexico surprises me any more. Some day when I have some time on my hands I'm going to grab my knitting and go down to the DMV just for the entertainment. It might be fun to watch now that I have all my business done with them, but I wasn't laughing back during the five separate trips my husband and I had to take there just to get the addresses changed on our driver's licenses.

~clairz

Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
I volunteer at an elementary school here in Clovis and I was surprised that one day after a rainfall the principal made a special announcement over the PA system that there would be outdoor recess in spite of the puddles.
Now THAT might be THE FUNNIEST weather-related anecdote as it relates to New Mexico living I have EVER heard!! Just classic. Just priceless!! I have a large gathering at my house for a grill out / get-together tonight, and this story shall be conveyed by me to them there!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

45 posts, read 164,361 times
Default MVD Express in LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

My guess is that at MVD Express, they have modern technology for dealing with precipitation and *can* complete your registration at any time.
I believe we saw a sign at the MVD Express on Lohman in Las Cruces (last October) that also indicated no outdoor vehicle inspections are done when it is raining.

It also initially took several hours to handle two drivers licenses and two vehicle registrations. Both titles and one license had to be redone due to errors! A total of four trips to the office were required before everything was finally completed error free.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphb57 View Post
I live in Los Alamos New Mexico. I just find it very interesting that I cannot get my vehicle registered at the Los Alamos New Mexico department of motor vehicle when it is raining outside. They have to go outside to inspect the vehicle and they will not do that in the rain.
Well I don't know if this applies up in Los Alamos or not but down around Alamogordo the federal laws under the "ADA" apply.
When it rains people go into shock so it is a medical condition and they are not able to do their jobs

Old 05-17-2008, 11:26 AM

104 posts, read 376,415 times
It is New Mexico after all.

I would not be surprised if the vehicle inspector has limited hours like 1-2pm Tuesdays only in Somewhere NM. And don't be late!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:08 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Wink Another concept foreign to New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidwood View Post
It is New Mexico after all.

I would not be surprised if the vehicle inspector has limited hours like 1-2pm Tuesdays only in Somewhere NM. And don't be late!
Umm...What is "late?"

~clairz

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Las Cruces MVD

I was in Las Cruces at the MVD office there to get my CDL and there were some lines but the people there were very Courteous and i was amazed at how i was given a Computer to take the Test and how fast and little time it took. But This was over 20 years ago it could be different now different people more regulations. My BEEf is that we are building roads and they are being torn up by the Big Rigs as fast as they build them because they are trying to make more profits and carrying heavier Loads and Driving Wide Loads in bad Weather because they are not being Checked. A big rig does the damage of 40 000 cars. But we can not continue to Ignore the Danger and the Damage and the Cost to Rebuild. I do feel sorry for these truckers that are paying over 4 dollars a Gallon on Diesel. But a Port of Entry MVD scale in the center of N.M. is very important open 24 hours and it would pay for Rebuilding our Roads and create a few jobs. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico