Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8qf View Post
It would be a bit difficult to uproot a family already established to go out there. I am an older disabled veteran now and I am moving back. I will be building a house out of sandbags with a stucco finish but I am counting on having some help doing it. As a young man I could do it by myself but at 53 with spinal damage I am physically limited on what I can do. Unless you worked from home via the internet it would be quite a drive everyday to work in town if you can even find work. You can buy 1/4 acre lot's there for $300 to $400 at times and could improve those lot's for annual camping trips though.
Best of luck!

We built the stem wall of our strawbale cottage out of sandbags (used woven rice bags & filled) & it has withstood the test of time of 20+ years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM

62 posts, read 251,935 times
happyjack, in response to your question about food, out here, many of us grow gardens, chickens, pigs, goats, rabbits and so on. So you see it's pretty much self-sustaining here. Feeding the livestock is no real issue either but it is a harder way of life. It's worth the extra work to be free of the chemically process foods. Feel free to check out 2 Peaks Mesa | Carson Estates New Mexico for more information on this area and there are video links to YouTube there as well.

Bongo, thanks for your input, I always like to read what others have done in their building projects.

Poncho_NM, I hope that posting my website is acceptable in this forum since the site is dedicated to the area that this thread is focused on.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Poncho_NM, I hope that posting my website is acceptable in this forum since the site is dedicated to the area that this thread is focused on.
Appears OK to me (So far). Interesting. Some of the video's are worth watching...

Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
Interesting. How would they do gardens in the sagebrush like that without lots of water. Carrying it in doesn't seem possible.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Debbie, there is a community well there just as you turn off of 64 so trucking water in is not that big of a deal now. Also, if you drain your grey water separate from your black water and use environmentally safe soaps your grey water can also be used on your garden. A certain amount of planning and effort are required and the sage brush can be removed with a little effort.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
I like the Ft. Garland area, why do you want to live near Taos? I've been to that area actually I am in your area every year too. Thought about retiring either in the Trinidad, Pagosa or Chama, NM area. I'll be in Taos in a few months in which I drive to Chama from there. Gosh, I run cattle, grow a huge (organic garden) but I have hoses and well water on the property with running creeks and ponds. I am not sure I would be able to do much in that area. I love desert but the water problems would scare me. Even with a community well you still have to drive and haul it.

Do the people all help each other like a commune type because I would think if they pull together as a community you could turn the land into something nice. You do have the views to die for though!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM

I too have land in SLVR unit P, 60 acres. Moderator cut: Your political comments are not needed I have no problem getting water delivered and have 3k gal of storage. I do have livestock but in limited quantities and one horse which is my main transportation out here. The folks here for the most part do help each other whenever possible. I wouldn't exactly call it a commune rather what communities used to be years ago when I was young.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-15-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Feel free to check out 2 Peaks Mesa | Carson Estates New Mexico for more information on this area and there are video links to YouTube there as well.
Thanks for posting that! I especially liked this line: "Last but not least there are a few like myself whom have no mental challenges but have just grown tired of the so called civilized world that has become a bit uncivilized."

Living in "civilization" can certainly be a challenge. That's why so many are on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants just to "cope". I guess it is too much trouble for people to actually considering that there might be something wrong with how they *live*.

Many years back I quit my job, sold all my junk, and took up residence in my Toyota truck. It was as scary as it was exciting... for about 10 minutes... then it was shear bliss. All the things I thought I'd miss and worry about just disappeared. Wow... gives me chills to remember. Peace. 12 years later life and economic circumstances sent me back into "civilization" (sort of), but I always carry some of that time with me.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
Dose anyone have a update on the U.S service man that had cancer. or updat anyone else in the movie
I heard that the US Serviceman who had cancer has passed away..

Old 12-27-2014, 08:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
The entire 1 hour and 6 minute video "Off the grid-Life on the Mesa" is currently on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8j8C9zrA_I

Additional info on the video: Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa (2007) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico