Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM

153 posts, read 541,222 times

Advertisements

A lot of press is out on the Internet regarding the "Shifty Fifty" in Clovis. Some kind of group that skanks up the price of commercial real estate and tells people where to build? Who knows the real dope on these guys and are they anything to reckon with when I locate my business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
I was surprised to see the term "Shifty Fifty" used recently on C-D. I've always heard it called The Committee of Fifty. The Wikipedia article on Clovis states: "Clovis hosts a local organization, the Committee of Fifty, whose stated purpose is to express support for Cannon AFB." I also see that they co-host, along with the Chamber of Commerce, an annual Cannon Appreciation Day.

I don't have any personal knowledge about this group, but I've read some derogatory comments on CD that imply that the committee is up to more than just supporting Cannon.

However, my always positive and jolly attitude about almost everything under the Clovis sun is wearing a little thin these days, since I seem to be practically the only one. So, I'll just sit back and see who wants to give us the real dirt.

Wearily,
~clairz

Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Hang in there Clair as we in Alamo and El Paso get hammered all the time .

I see Sen Bingaman announced monies for Cannon AFB.
Spending Bill Contains Million Bingaman Requested for Cannon AFB

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
A long time friend of mine who lives in Hagerman, just south of Roswell, says the same thing has been going down in Carlsbad, according to his neighbors. That opinion has been noted on C-D Carlsbad threads as well. Hang in there, Clairz. The Clovis- Portales area is good by me. Always has been!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Hang in there Clair as we in Alamo and El Paso get hammered all the time .
LOL. I was about to say.. Hang in there Clair, at least your not El Paso.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM

74 posts, read 268,379 times
If their goal is to keep competition out by limiting new business, they are doing a sorry job. But, they were very instrumental in keeping Cannon & getting it a new mission. I beleive that they are now called "Friends of Cannon". I have also heard that the new Commander has let a lot of wind out of their sail.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Pollyanna here, reporting from Hell (I guess)

Thank you, 6/3, Double H, and Muhnay for your support and kind words. It ain't easy sticking up for Clovis on some days. Kind of like trying to light candles in the darkness, with a stiff prairie wind a-blowing.

I asked a local person, who has every reason to know what’s going on here, about the Committee of Fifty. He said that the committee was formed when Cannon’s glider training school closed following WWII. They convinced Washington that the base should be reopened back then, and once again more recently.

The committee originally consisted of fifty businessmen who donated money to the lobbying effort. The committee has grown to far more than fifty members today—probably hundreds now donate money, time, and services. Their monetary donations are kept private, and the committee is under no obligation to make their membership list public. You can find some information on them by searching “Committee of Fifty” at the local newspaper’s online site at Homepage : Clovis News Journal.

Their mission now is to help Cannon in any way possible, through lobbying efforts, Cannon Appreciation Day, and doing whatever they can to be sure that Cannon remains open.

My source has a theory that some of the younger airmen, reluctant to be based in Clovis, blame the Committee of Fifty for keeping the base open and thus for their assignment here in this less than exciting (for 20-somethings) place. I recently read a post on CD (which subsequently disappeared) by a military wife in Germany who said that her husband was being sent to Clovis and that he hoped to be shipped out to Afghanistan, as that would be preferable to living in Clovis. She also said that she had decided to split up her family rather than to move with her son to the same place that her husband would be stationed, and finished up this curious reasoning by blaming the whole broken family situation on The Shifty Fifty. She signed off: "Thanks a lot!! I hope you hear us crying in your sleep."

Wow. That made me wonder at how brave I must be to live in such a scorned and hellish place. Everything seemed pretty good--nice house, pretty flowers, good friends, happy life--but I must not be seeing what this lady in far-off Germany was seeing...

Back to the Committee of Fifty--these committee members are businessmen, who want their businesses and Clovis to prosper, so are happy to help Clovis to grow and to expand the number of businesses here. Without them, the base would probably be closed and Clovis would be much smaller. And the crying of that lady in Germany wouldn't be interrupting my sleep.

And that's what I have to report from sunny Clovis.

~clairz

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 168,075 times
I have to agree with Clairz. I have family living in the Clovis and Portales that have been there for years. These business owners know that the success of thier business and future businesses depends on Cannon and the growth of Clovis. I have to commend them for working and caring for a town enough to devote their time and money to Clovis. I really believe the rumors and the complaining are done by people that don't have all the facts and don't care enough to research. They would rather sit around and complain. A lot of the compaints come from, as Clairz said, the younger Airman and families that just have a hard time adjusting to the life style of New Mexico.

I hate to think that a woman would break up her family due to not wanting to live somewhere. How sad that is. That does not say much for the kind of person she is. Clovis is better off without her, and so is her husband.

I love Clovis/Portales are and would love to live there. Someday when I retire I will be New Mexico bound.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Clairz.....

I can tell you the comparison between Afghanistan and Clovis since I have been to both places. I spent 6 months last year in Afghanistan and I am moving to Clovis in less than 3 months after I retire from the Navy.

If the person would rather be sent to Afghanistan and Clovis, they can....I say go for it! I enjoy Clovis much better. While Clovis might not have the best things that other places have, they don't have IED's laying on the road, rockets flying overhead, kids wanting water, shoes, clothes, and those same kids being blown up by Russian mines that are all over that country! I much prefer Clovis for obvious reasons.

My feeling about the base being there and those having to be stationed there, it isn't about the base and the local you should be worried about, it should be yourself that should be worried. If your main focus is on nightlife, hitting the town, etc... then you need a refocus. If Clovis is soooooo boring, why not take the opportunity to get a college degree or study for advancement or best yet....throw some money into TSP and begin saving money for your life in or out of the military. If you do that....then when the time comes to be stationed where there is better nightlife, etc... you will have the chance to party like a Rockstar and won't have to worry about education, advancement, etc... and guess what???? If you advance you get paid more!!!!

I might be old fashioned and ready to relax, but I was once a young 18 year old stationed in Hawaii and I got burned out from partying and began to go to college when I transferred to Long Beach at 22. I went to school, etc... and got my life in order and I am benefitting today. I have no bills, and have money saved up. I can afford to move to Clovis and not work except umpiring baseball, football, basketball games, etc.., but I am not going to consider that work!

I am so looking forward to moving back to the slow pace of life in Clovis and best of all, Cannon is still there for me to use my earned benefits and best of all...THEY HAVE A GOLF COURSE!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
Clairz.....

I can tell you the comparison between Afghanistan and Clovis since I have been to both places. I spent 6 months last year in Afghanistan and I am moving to Clovis in less than 3 months after I retire from the Navy.

If the person would rather be sent to Afghanistan and Clovis, they can....I say go for it! I enjoy Clovis much better. While Clovis might not have the best things that other places have, they don't have IED's laying on the road, rockets flying overhead, kids wanting water, shoes, clothes, and those same kids being blown up by Russian mines that are all over that country! I much prefer Clovis for obvious reasons.

My feeling about the base being there and those having to be stationed there, it isn't about the base and the local you should be worried about, it should be yourself that should be worried. If your main focus is on nightlife, hitting the town, etc... then you need a refocus. If Clovis is soooooo boring, why not take the opportunity to get a college degree or study for advancement or best yet....throw some money into TSP and begin saving money for your life in or out of the military. If you do that....then when the time comes to be stationed where there is better nightlife, etc... you will have the chance to party like a Rockstar and won't have to worry about education, advancement, etc... and guess what???? If you advance you get paid more!!!!

I might be old fashioned and ready to relax, but I was once a young 18 year old stationed in Hawaii and I got burned out from partying and began to go to college when I transferred to Long Beach at 22. I went to school, etc... and got my life in order and I am benefitting today. I have no bills, and have money saved up. I can afford to move to Clovis and not work except umpiring baseball, football, basketball games, etc.., but I am not going to consider that work!

I am so looking forward to moving back to the slow pace of life in Clovis and best of all, Cannon is still there for me to use my earned benefits and best of all...THEY HAVE A GOLF COURSE!!!!

Boxkicker, I love your attitude. I've said it before, but I am so glad you are back from Afghanistan, safe and sound, and ready to start a new part of your life.

And remember, Clovis actually has 3 golf courses... Who knew?

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico