Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times

Advertisements

dracul!

Oh I feel exactly like what you said.

My husband and I have told so many people .. this is our LAST GREAT ADVENTURE and we are going to enjoy every single moment of it for as long as it lasts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Great adventures everyone had on getting here.
As for Kent and I , we knew that I could not be where there was much humidity for my health. Flew into ABQ about 12 years ago and started driving. Ended up in Alamogordo and said this is it! Found land, and bought it a month later. We have a place to live, but 8years ago we were up in Timberon and fell in love with it, since then we have bought a cabin up there and enjoy the Sac's so much. And the city data friends we have met are just great! They are a bonus to us.
My problem is that DH still farms in Illinois so we do go back and forth. As long as we can do it we will.
Jane

Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
...hub was carrying a box of old magazines to put in the trash and one fell out. (It was not the one on top). It was a 1980 something Nat'l Geographic, with multiple articles on NM in it!...
I think there's a picture with my great uncle in that issue! If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a shot of RC Gorman with some people in the background, my great uncle included. He was a real native Santa Fe character.

I grew up in Santa Fe and after a fairly wide ranging living tour of the U.S. (Central Colorado, lake side in Michigan, seaside in Connecticut, Northern Virginia and Northwest Arkansas.), I found myself driving back for my 10 year reunion for St. Michael's in Santa Fe. As soon as I hit the state line headed west on 40 I knew I was home. A classic NM sunset filling my windshield, pinon trees dotting the landscape and that feeling that there was still room to grow out here. Packed up and was back in 6 months. Holy schnikes...It's almost time for my 20th! Anyway, my wife, who grew up in the Wilkes-Barre area of Pennsylvania, came out for her internship and fell in love (with the state first... I was later, which puts me behind a list including Chaco Canyon, pinon brittle, farolitos, fresh roasted green chile and road runners, but I can live with that!).

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
I would love to move to nNew Mexico. I have a large ranch in Eastern Oklahoma that probably will not sell but if it does Northern New Mexico here I come. My children seem to love OK and their husbands have decent jobs so I guess I'll just drive to them once or twice a year but to stick around in this heat for eternity just to visit a child once in while is not going to be the case.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
[quote=ziaAirmac;4763884]I think there's a picture with my great uncle in that issue! If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a shot of RC Gorman with some people in the background, my great uncle included. He was a real native Santa Fe character.
QUOTE]

When I find it, I will check and see. If its the one I can scan it or send it to you, if you like.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
A kind offer AlisonL. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, but I do have a copy of it somewhere. I never knew the photo existed, but I was in a doctors office in Arkansas YEARS after the issue had been published and I'm flipping through a magazine to keep my mind off the wait and what the visit would hold. My great uncle had passed by then but there on the pages before me was a picture of him hobnobbing with the Santa Fe elite, happy and alive. It was so jarring it just brought a flood of memories and emotion. I always feel bad for the doctor's office when people take off with their magazines, but that was one magazine I went home with. I think it's actually with my portfolio. Anyway, it's just been funny for me how it pops up from time to time. Thanks again for your kind offer.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,651 times
NM has always had a special place for me in my heart. Partly due to my grandparents and the history we have there but also, it just always felt right. my husband and I moved to WA in 1993 for college and after the first year there - thought that was where we'd stay until the end.

But NM and the southwest has always had a pull for me... It has always felt like that is where I needed to be. I guess it sounds trite but its true. About two years ago we began discussing moving closer to family in TX & NM and thought of Denver - being so far from retirement we need to be where we can get jobs. Visited and said no. Never dreaming DH would consent to NM since he didn't like Denver you can imagine my surprise when he said - "What's wrong with Santa Fe or Alb?". So we started discussing it and then I half-heartedly prayed about it - asking for a 'sign' to let us know it was right to just quit our good jobs here and move to some where the economy isn't quite as strong. Three days later I was laid off from my job. After convincing my husband it was true - my entire team was let go - he was like "Perfect, now we can move." And the rest is history.

There have been bumps that made me think - hmmm.. is this right but everything else has fallen into place so perfectly... house selling in 11 days... quick closing, etc.

I think the original question was Why? Well, its partly due to family. My parents aren't getting younger and they are taking care of my grandparents. Husband's Mom isn't growing younger either. And SUNSHINE! The Seattle gloom was finally getting to us. Honestly - it's beautiful up here but there is a reason for that beauty and it falls from the sky about 10 mos of hte year!

And I think, NM chose us. We too had weird messages in fortune cookies telling us to embark on great adventures, we'd have challenges but succeed so... here we are... almost.

We are currently stuck in Spokane getting our tranny fixed on the truck but will be on the road again next week. Soon to be settling in NM permenantly!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
I have been coming to New Mexico for one thing or another since I was a kid...Ruidoso Downs, Santa Fe, Albuquerque....then later in my young adult years for skiing in the late 1970s.

Then, as we traveled through the northern part of NM later to get to Durango Mountain Resort (known as Purgatory back in the day) and Wolf Creek, ski areas, I knew that I wanted to retire to either southwestern CO or someplace in NM. It has had a pull on me for that long, more than half a lifetime.

So....here I am. My one-year "anniversary" is August 11, this coming Monday....

It has gone by very fast.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 39,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have been coming to New Mexico for one thing or another since I was a kid...Ruidoso Downs, Santa Fe, Albuquerque....then later in my young adult years for skiing in the late 1970s.

Then, as we traveled through the northern part of NM later to get to Durango Mountain Resort (known as Purgatory back in the day) and Wolf Creek, ski areas, I knew that I wanted to retire to either southwestern CO or someplace in NM. It has had a pull on me for that long, more than half a lifetime.

So....here I am. My one-year "anniversary" is August 11, this coming Monday....

It has gone by very fast.

An early congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! I hope that's me in a years time. As I sit here I am writing a resume to send to a business I contacted on the internet regarding my visit in September. I requested a visit at that time and mentioned my husband and I were looking to relocate to the area in the near future. Well, I got a response and they have an opening at the end of August. So I'm dusting off the old resume and giving it a whirl. Enjoy your Monday....... sit and watch one of those beautiful New Mexico sunsets!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningSong View Post
An early congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! I hope that's me in a years time. As I sit here I am writing a resume to send to a business I contacted on the internet regarding my visit in September. I requested a visit at that time and mentioned my husband and I were looking to relocate to the area in the near future. Well, I got a response and they have an opening at the end of August. So I'm dusting off the old resume and giving it a whirl. Enjoy your Monday....... sit and watch one of those beautiful New Mexico sunsets!
Thank you, Evening.....good luck on your new venture, and let us know what happens, OK?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico