Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 58,351 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to come out of lurkdom and introduce myself and thank everyone for contributing to all the great information on this forum.

I was born and raised in AK and spent about 10 years in OR and WA before moving to the East Coast. I've been in NY for about 10 years and it is more than time to get the heck outta here and get back out west!

After much research it looks like NM, specifically the Ruidoso area is going to be home. I'm flying out this winter (probably Jan/Feb) to get a first hand look at the area and look at land. Assuming my research hasn't led me astray I plan on relocating late summer or fall of next year.

The plan is to get a few, private, wooded acres --hopefully bordering on BLM or Forest Service land and/or good horse trails-- to build a "green" home. I'm currently leaning toward the high-thermal mass rammed earth style of home with really strong passive solar and grey water elements.

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
Sounds great!

New sustainbale construction sounds like a plan to me!

Welcome to the NM forum!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,450 times
If you are not dead-set on Ruidoso, check out the Taos area too. There are good opportunities to buy the kind of land you are talking about. There is also a growing population of green builders there, and many earthships.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,346 times
Welcome to the group. One thing to think about is what population do you want to be around? Also, what services do you want? Make a list of what you are looking for and what you do not want and go from there. I love the area you are looking at, but I am enjoying Timberon much more than a larger area.
Take your time looking, and check out the contractors you are interested in on what they can do for you.
You may want to rent before buying to make sure that "this is the place"
Good luck.
Jane

Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
If you are not dead-set on Ruidoso, check out the Taos area too. There are good opportunities to buy the kind of land you are talking about. There is also a growing population of green builders there, and many earthships.

How do the land prices compare? Weather?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM

775 posts, read 2,589,762 times
Default welcome newcomer

Since you will be in Ruidoso Jan.Feb. BRRRRR those are the coldest months of the winter around the area it will be like a Dr. Zhivago winter wonderland around then and maybe lots of wind and temps close to zero or colder. To Warm up you will have to go to Roswell or Alamogordo. While your in Ruidoso check out the Capitan, Carrizozo, White Oaks, Ancho area to me its a much more peaceful area away from some Forest Fires and most of the Wild Animals that seem to hang around where most of the Food is which is in the Larger Places with lots of fast foods. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Welcome to the group. One thing to think about is what population do you want to be around? Also, what services do you want? Make a list of what you are looking for and what you do not want and go from there. I love the area you are looking at, but I am enjoying Timberon much more than a larger area.
Take your time looking, and check out the contractors you are interested in on what they can do for you.
You may want to rent before buying to make sure that "this is the place"
Good luck.
Jane
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've done the list -- sight unseen Ruidoso seems to fit the bill. Of course until I see it in person I won't know for sure.

As far as size-wise, I want to be within 30 minutes of a decent sized town (e.g. Ruidoso) and within two hours or so of a pretty major city.

One of the reasons that being *too* rural won't work for me is that I need high-speed internet for my work. Satellite internet is progressing, but I just don't think it's quite there yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Since you will be in Ruidoso Jan.Feb. BRRRRR those are the coldest months of the winter around the area it will be like a Dr. Zhivago winter wonderland around then and maybe lots of wind and temps close to zero or colder. To Warm up you will have to go to Roswell or Alamogordo. While your in Ruidoso check out the Capitan, Carrizozo, White Oaks, Ancho area to me its a much more peaceful area away from some Forest Fires and most of the Wild Animals that seem to hang around where most of the Food is which is in the Larger Places with lots of fast foods. pintada kid at webtv.net
Thanks for the welcome!

I was born/raised in a small Alaskan town, so I do know what Real Winter is and I don't mind it as long as I get a Real Summer too! And critters don't bother me too much, again I grew up in rural wildlife-full areas. It's been quite a few years, but I'm sure I can get back into the groove with it. Though snakes (not bring up a sore subject!) will be new to me.

Capitan is definitely an area we're looking at. We need good southern exposure to fully take advantage of passive (and maybe eventually active) solar energy. I've jotted down the other areas you've mentioned too.

I'm hoping that between now and January I can connect with a good real estate agent that can a tour of the area and show a variety of suitable land. Suggestions/recommendations are more than welcome!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,357,297 times
Welcome Rachel to the forum.
When we looked at the Ruidoso area, we used Mary Weaver from Prudential. That's been a couple of years but she's nice and she helped us out alot even though we decided to live in Timberon (which is probably too isolated for you.)
We have internet but it's not as fast as you would need it for your work. Great place to live though.
Ruidoso is a nice area and you'll enjoy it.
Keep in mind, it also has a lot of tourists. Tourists don't bother me but some people don't like to live in a touristy town.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,301 times
Hi SwansDown!

Welcome to the New Mexico forum!

You will get lots of good information here.

I am glad to see you say you will be flying out here in several months to do some in-state research. There is no substitute for seeing the area for yourself and getting a feel for whether you think you like it enough to relocate to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico