Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Geez... I've got to go up to Greeley in a few weeks for work.
Don't let me sell it short for you. There are several nice places in Greeley. About two birthdays ago, I visited there and we actually ended the night at a cowboy bar where my sis had hit it off with several bartenders. People were doin' everything from freaking to rap to square dancing to... yup... country. My sis and I blended right in there, except we don't wear hats and wranglers, and that was only about 20% of the people anyway.

Some bars are just not nice places for those of us who'd like to chat up whomever we please, and my bro-in-law's friends and fam like those bars. A lot of white-owned businesses around there allegedly exploited the Latinas over the past few decades, and so let's just say that presumably privileged, intolerant caucasians with Latina taste are a touchy subject in certain areas. If you find an in or the women obviously approach you, then it's nothing. Alas, I'm just not the kinda guy who could pull off either of those ideal circumstances alone.

Couldn't say if it's like that in Espanola or not. I just presumed from the overall vibe and the communication barriers that it probably isn't much different.

Thus, I could go out alone and not stay on the couch, and I'd find safe bars in Greeley, but probably not much else worth the time and expenditure. I love nightlife, but not alone or with a problematic entourage. Learned those lessons at a young 20s age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Yeah, I can see it not being an actual problem, but I'd still prefer it with the right company to smooth out rough edges.

When I visited my sister in Greeley, CO, going out to the bar with or without my bro-in-law was like night and day. He knew a lot of folks in the area from growing up there and doing construction jobs, and once we found one of his pals I got a free pass to 'untuck my tail' and approach whomever I chose. Maybe the segregation was due to the more rampant exploitation in Colorado, but my bro told me it's best to keep to myself until I've got an in, and without that the nightlife isn't worth much and I might as well couch it. With the way peoples' glances/demeanors very obviously changed from suspicious to jovial when we met up with his friend(s), I wasn't going to test the validity of his advice during the suspicious phase.

One time after i graduated me and some friends took a trip to northern colorado and we were refused service at a local restaurant, at the time mine and my friends skin color was darker than usual.. i dont know if it had anything to do with our race or color but it got me pissed.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 AM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Oh yea well i remember my days at LAHS/EVHS games the students from Los Alamos would throw beans at us, football games mostly..we didnt expect that from that school, since we heard everything was strict and nontolerable..
Who in the world told you everything was "strict and nontolerable," and what is that even supposed to mean? Students at LAHS aren't immune to saying stupid or ignorant things - all teenagers can be pretty careless at times.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "who can tell a more appalling story about Los Alamos or Española" contest. I provided the basketball game example because I wanted to make it clear that the animosity runs both ways. The poster I responded to originally made Los Alamos out to be (in his words) a racist and elitist town, and as somebody who lived there for 17 years, I felt compelled to dispute his opinion. People who read these threads haven't always visited the towns of interest, so I don't want anybody to get the wrong impression.

Quote:
I went to a EVHS/LAHS basketball game last year, and the student sections from both schools were negitive but the thing that aggrivated me was the LAHS students called a basketball player from Espanola a "Trader" while at the line for a free throw, just because he transfered over from pojoaque.. that is something i would have never thought LAHS students would have said..
Fans will find any way possible to taunt their opponents. I've heard much worse than "traitor" before, so maybe that particular player should be counting his lucky stars. The brother I mentioned in my previous post actually took a cheap shot to the ribs from an opponent when the refs weren't paying attention, so when I hear about verbal abuse, it doesn't phase me very much.

Quote:
the rivalry between the two schools has got worse over the years.. well when i was there all hell broke lose.. i'm not sticking up for espanola, im just saying its fair to say both sides of the story
Well, nobody's trying to make it a one-sided discussion, so have at it.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Don't let me sell it short for you. There are several nice places in Greeley. About two birthdays ago, I visited there and we actually ended the night at a cowboy bar where my sis had hit it off with several bartenders. People were doin' everything from freaking to rap to square dancing to... yup... country. My sis and I blended right in there, except we don't wear hats and wranglers, and that was only about 20% of the people anyway.

Some bars are just not nice places for those of us who'd like to chat up whomever we please, and my bro-in-law's friends and fam like those bars. A lot of white-owned businesses around there allegedly exploited the Latinas over the past few decades, and so let's just say that presumably privileged, intolerant caucasians with Latina taste are a touchy subject in certain areas. If you find an in or the women obviously approach you, then it's nothing. Alas, I'm just not the kinda guy who could pull off either of those ideal circumstances alone.

Couldn't say if it's like that in Espanola or not. I just presumed from the overall vibe and the communication barriers that it probably isn't much different.

Thus, I could go out alone and not stay on the couch, and I'd find safe bars in Greeley, but probably not much else worth the time and expenditure. I love nightlife, but not alone or with a problematic entourage. Learned those lessons at a young 20s age.
I'll be working in the field, so no real time to hang out and have fun.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 15,628 times
My husband & I moved to Albuquerque in 1966 and to Espanola in 1972 to work at Los Alamos National Lab. We had a choice of living in Los Alamos or Espanola and chose Espanola even though we're both white & came originally from PA. Los Alamos was way too "white bread" for us. Someone once said it looks like East St. Louis. Our friends' kids who went to high school in Los Alamos were fairly screwed up, but this may not be unique to Los Alamos. We don't have children, but from what I can tell from the children of friends in Espanola, most of the schools are pretty bad, and, again, this may not be unique to Espanola. Our group of friends in Espanola include Indians, Hispanics, Anglos, and gays. Our group of friends in Santa Fe are all white, as are our Los Alamos friends. Our night life takes place mostly in Santa Fe because we enjoy concerts, fine dining, and opera. Housing is much more reasonable in Espanola, as are taxes. The natural beauty of the valley is stunning.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
elsueno ( a rookie poster and new member ) posted:

[four pretty-much identical posts in three forums]

Just so you know, if you post once, the readers here will see it, so you don't need to populate multiple forums with redundant posts.

Your post was interesting and informative, but it's annoying to keep seeing the same thing over and over.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,402 times
Quote:
Well your wrong on the number of liquor licences, there is only 6 threw out the city, and your right not everybody is a bad person from there i mean most of my friends that graduated from espanola went to georgetown and duke, i decided to go to csu, but espanola is a safe city, EVHS is a nationaly ranked high school.. buddy you wont get shot, i will tell all the gang bangers to hide out just so you can pass by

Are crime stats are the same as los alamos btw.. same amount of everything except los alamos had more arson.
btw: espanola doesnt have drug problems, there in the neigboring communities like alcalde and velarde, not even chimayo is bad for drugs.. but of course if you tell someone its "dangerous" people tend to belive becuase the human mind is like a sponge.
I completely...COMPLETELY agree with your comment that the human brain is like a sponge. I just moved to Santa Fe and I start working in Espanola on Monday. Seriously, everyone I have talked to says "don't live out there" or "well good luck with that". Being a naive individual from a remote area with little to no diversity, alcohol OR drug issues, its hard not to believe them...afterall..they do live here!

However..I must say that I am going to wait to judge the area until I've worked there, met the people, learned the history and saw things for myself. I just wanted to point out, as an outsider, that its VERY hard NOT to make a judgement on this area when there are many individuals, regardless of how well they know the area, telling us newbes what to think!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Quote:
I want to know a New Mexicans View on Los Alamos and Española, try not to bash.. but whats your opinion about the cities, and is there a way to get the two neighboring cities to get along?
I wouldn't want to live within 30 miles of a super-collider.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 58,016 times
Have you heard of the band City Child? Tell me about Espanola

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I interviewed for a project at Los Alamos lab some 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the alternative energy project was canceled before I was hired. That was annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico