Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,689 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family for 1 year for a job in Belen. The house is near Flamingo Ln. and Avenue De La Jolla off of N. Mesa Road. and I was just wondering what kind of area it was. I hear mixed reviews when it comes to Belen, but I have lived in NYC and Gulfport Mississipi so I take what people say with a grain of salt seeing as how both cities have a lot of crime. I would love some pictures of the surrounding area if anyone has any because the only ones I can really find are of the tracks, mountains, ruins, and sky. Nothing that would give me an idea of the neighborhood. I also had someone warn me that because I am caucasion I will be "targeted". Not sure exactly what that means but again growing up in NYC public schools I am pretty used to being the minority so it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't bother the locals. I know the public schools aren't supposed to be top notch but I think that is the case in a lot of US cities, fortunately my kids are young enough that it won't matter because they are not in school yet. I don't want anyone bashing Belen, I just want the truth as well as some pictures if people have them. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 04:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0101 View Post
I also had someone warn me that because I am caucasion I will be "targeted".
Amanda....i've been out there alot and there's nothing fancy about North Belen. Most of the new housing is on the west side of Interstate-25 on the aboved mesa.

I doubt you'll be ''targeted'' as there's a mixture of races and most out there are could care less what your race is. At least thats been my experience out there over the years...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I am not concerned about "fancy" since we will only be there a short time to fix up a few houses that a buddy owns. The pay is good and we get to live in a huge home with lots of land (and horses) rent free for a year. My concern was more that it was a very dangerous place to live in which case it would not be worth the money to put my family in danger. I know the "statistics" and how it is listed as one of the worst US cities for crime but I can't really go by those since the town next to mine is overrun with murders, rapes, and meth addicts but is supposedly safer then Belen.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM

That sounds like a great idea getting free rent and riding horses etc to fix up houses.

I'll be honest in that there is some Gang and Meth issues out in Belen and Los Lunas as Albuquerque has really gone after these types so they have headed south.

But going out there alot as i have for the most part again i have never had any problems out there. It's a small town at about 5,000 population so not alot of the Big City crimes that we see everyday here in ABQ and other city Metros.

They have a twice weekly newspaper thats online and free so you can read whats happening there good and bad as it comes out Wednesday and Saturday so you may want to post the site as a favorate and check it when you want.

For some reason i can't link it up to City-Dats so here's the link for you.

(Valencia County News)
news-bulletin.com

Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Thanks again, any pictures would be great. I am not looking for them to be amazing, just to give me an idea of the neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Go to -- Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

and type in [Belen New Mexico] or [Belen NM] and you'll get lots o' pics.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
I also noticed this pictures of the Manzanos as viewed from the West Mesa in Los Lunas - just North of Belen which shows the bosque and East Mesa.

mountains2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Manzanos are in the neighborhood of 9,600 ft in this view, but to the South, the highest point is 10,098 ft.

You won't find views of the Manzanos (every time) doing a search on "Belen" but neither will you necessarily get anything to do with Belen by searching on "manzano"

Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM

That figures.......Mortimer beat me to it......

Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,781 times
Default Moving to Belen...

I have been living in Belen since 1993. I moved her from Albuquerque my senior year. I have really enjoyed living here. We are ten minutes away from Los Lunas and about 30 minutes away from Albuquerque. I think Belen is better than most small towns as far as health care. We have an urgent care open til 8 pm 7 days a week. We have a large varity of shopping places including Los Lunas (which is really booming).

I work here in Belen. At my place of employment there are a number of people who drive from Los Lunas and even one who drives in from Albuquerque everyday.

If you are looking to rent there are a few apartments here and more to choose from in Los Lunas. There are always houses to rent in both towns also.

I hope you enjoy your year here!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,781 times
Oops, I guess I should have reead all the entries before posting. That sounds like an excellent deal for you and your family.

As far as crime, you have nothing to worry about. We got robbed once about two years ago, but it was my husbands cousin who did it (meth user ). 6 Foot 3 is right, meth has become a bit of a problem. Because of that there has been a small spike in robberies. I really dont think there is a "danger" TO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico