Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times

Advertisements

What we need is programs like the WPA and CCC because some of our towns and cities probably still have pipes from the 50s and building roads and Bridges and weatherizing. Maybe the Federal Government could fix the Road from El Paso to Denver the NAFTA highway where that Bus with two people killed and lots of injuries wrecked the other day because of an Unfinished Highway with Barracades. Highway 54 gets lots of traffic from Mexico and its still a 2 lane dangerous highway in the Winter and because of Heavy Semi Traffic. KID TIP... Our Money is better Served Creating Jobs and fixing our Infrastructure and helping the soon to become homeless people and not Giving it Away to the Wealthy Companies who are giving the Money to themselves and not bothering to Create Jobs or lend money out. el pintada kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'd much rather see them remove this tax break and the one for buying a new car, and put the road project funding back in. Creating jobs makes a lot more sense right now that tax breaks with limited scope of use.
Heres to that. The "limited" scope is all about more breaks for the wealthy... or at least people who still have jobs and are not hurting. This whole thing is truly making me sick. Where is our so-called liberal press?

I heard yesterday of the Rep plan to give tax breaks. Let me see... who will benefit the most from this? People who make a lot of money obviously... and businesses that have a lot of profit. Businesses and people that are on the ropes don't care about taxes.

In time of crisis... lets make the rich even richer...?!

Believe it or not there are a lot of people unemployed and in such dire straits that they don't even pay taxes! How is a "tax break" going to help them? Are those people in a market to buy a house? Plus, home sales went up last month as people with money decided that the prices were low enough.

What we need is infrastructure spending, and R&D funding for promising industries (energy for one). The first will create temporary jobs, and the second will hopefully boost our long term prosperity as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Heres to that. The "limited" scope is all about more breaks for the wealthy... or at least people who still have jobs and are not hurting. This whole thing is truly making me sick. Where is our so-called liberal press?

I heard yesterday of the Rep plan to give tax breaks. Let me see... who will benefit the most from this? People who make a lot of money obviously... and businesses that have a lot of profit. Businesses and people that are on the ropes don't care about taxes.

In time of crisis... lets make the rich even richer...?!

Believe it or not there are a lot of people unemployed and in such dire straits that they don't even pay taxes! How is a "tax break" going to help them? Are those people in a market to buy a house? Plus, home sales went up last month as people with money decided that the prices were low enough.

What we need is infrastructure spending, and R&D funding for promising industries (energy for one). The first will create temporary jobs, and the second will hopefully boost our long term prosperity as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Quote:

Why do you think the two are mutually incompatible?

Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Why do you think the two are mutually incompatible?
One will actually provide jobs and economic stimulus and the other merely gives money to people who don't need it. A business will not hire more people or expand if they get a tax break... they will just have higher profit and pass it along to their stockholders. Similarly with people who have already have high incomes and now get to keep more of it.

This is just more of the trickle down BS theory that started with Reagan and Bush 1 and accelerated during the last 8 years. Our middle class has been gutted while the rich have gotten richer. Our standard of living, which used to easily be the highest in the world, is now beaten by a dozen or more countries. We've been sold out. It is time to end this Neocon baloney, and start making this a great country again. To be prosperous it is essential to have a wealthy middle class, and to also be efficient and productive. This means that we need to do make more of the things we use and support more high tech and efficient ways to do it.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
yeah, but a person had better have a credit score of at least 850 to acquire financing!
Quote:
It's not really a done deal yet, but if signed into law this could help a lot of us.

Home-buyers tax cut raises cost of stimulus bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/ap_on_go_co/congress_stimulus - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
One will actually provide jobs and economic stimulus and the other merely gives money to people who don't need it..
I think a lot of people moving here and buying a home would disagree with you
about being "people who don't need it".

As I said earlier; there is no incompatibility between all sorts of true job creating
efforts and this attempt to encourage home purchases. Apples and oranges
aimed at different things.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
yeah, but a person had better have a credit score of at least 850 to acquire financing!
That may very well be true...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of people moving here and buying a home would disagree with you about being "people who don't need it".
Everybody "needs" money... but in reality they don't. This kind of tax credit move will do nothing but prop up an over-valued bubble market. Wouldn't we be better off letting home prices fall to where they belong? Then they really would be cheaper, and we wouldn't get a long term gov loan (debt) to pay off later.

My sympathy is with people who are laid off and in a really bad way. There are lots of them and more every week.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
hey ruff, you and me should feel sorry for the poor people who got suckered into those mortgages they couldn't afford. I agree with you about the propped up property/home values, maybe failure would have been best. but, I also feel that way about the wall street bailout and banks too. exorbitant interest on sub prime home loans, and gouging consumers on credit cards. I'd like to see the tables turned on them for a change, make them suffer like the unemployed and people who can't make the house payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: