Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 AM

146 posts, read 440,471 times

Advertisements

We had a wonderful time - spent a little over a week there - and were in no hurry to get back to Iowa! The weather was great - temps were in the 80's. We did experience a little bit of blowing sand, but we were not put off by that at all. At least it isn't blowing snow!!!

Monday, Chiligal and DH met us and we went out to White Sands - I climbed my first dune, and I'm sure it won't be my last.... OMG, you should have seen me!! Out furbaby climbed the dune the steep side... and I think she was a little out of breathe, too! We also toured around Alamo and got the low down on good/bad areas... or should I say areas that flood?! Now, I understand about Boles Acres and Dog Canyon and have crossed those off the list of places to look at.

Tuesday we went and looked at houses... found a perfect one-our dream house-but it doesn't qualify for VA, so we are back to the drawing board. We pretty much decided that we're going to move down there and rent - I want to sell our place up here before buying down there, and DH just wants to get down there! DH likes the Tulie area more than Alamo, but can't explain why.... I think it's the pecan and pistachio orchards, and wineries (tho he doesn't drink). We've lived in an agricultural area for a while now, and it's not a big change for him.

We also have pretty much decided that we'd rather be in town with a private lot (does that statement contradict itself?) than outside of town with acreage that we'll never use... it just doesn't make sense - unless we find our dream house has been plunked down on some acreage! I do love the views out in the country, tho!

Wednesday, we had lunch with Chiligal, Cathy and Songinthewind and DH! What a great time, I loved getting to meet them and look forward to having great friends down there when we move!!! 6foot3 - sorry we didn't get to meet you, but in my book, paybacks are fun, so we'll have to get to meet you later! BTW, did you see a little grey Toyota Corolla drving around town with Iowa plates??!!!

Thursday we went over the hill to Lincoln - I found the fabric shop in Ruidoso (and I will learn how to say it, Chiligal!) and had a blast getting to know the owner! We'll have to do that trip again when it's tourist season and things are open!

Friday we went over to Las Cruses and down to El Paso - I've almost forgotten how to drive in the "big cities" - but I learned quickly! We checked out Fort Bliss and the PX there - wow - that's all I can say! LOL - I wasn't prepared for a store the size of Wal-Mart! The drive back to Alamo didn't take as long, as we came straight up 54.... saw a lot of road kill that looked like wolves, can anyone tell me if they were wolves or were they coyotes??!! They looked pretty big to me.

Saturday we vegged out, I did laundry, and we drove around Alamo more...couldn't get enough of it, and neither one of us really wanted to leave, but we had to get back to Iowa to start packing!

That's the summary - long I know, but the trip was well worth it all... we now know where we want to concentrate our searches, and have a better idea of when we are going down for good, but like I said, I need to get DH to put a date to the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Cindy, it was nice meeting you at the Alamo Grill also. Not the best food but the company was good.
As far as setting a date, pick one, let your husband know and then, do it.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
It was fun meeting y'all for sure! Alamo Grill was not nearly as good as it has been in the past, though!

I forgot to ask...did y'all ever look in La Luz? It is one neat place!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM

I know Cathy. That's strange about the food. Normally, it's a good restaurant to go to but the food we all got not only looked horrible but it tasted bad too. Probably just a bad day for them.
Speaking of restaurants, do not go to the buffet at Inn of the Mountain Gods. Ugh.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I know Cathy. That's strange about the food. Normally, it's a good restaurant to go to but the food we all got not only looked horrible but it tasted bad too. Probably just a bad day for them.
Speaking of restaurants, do not go to the buffet at Inn of the Mountain Gods. Ugh.
The buffet at IOTMG is bad?? OMG!!

We have fewer than ever good places to eat!!!

I guess AG just had a bad day. It is usually just really good.

Have y'all been to Tularosa-Casa de Sueños? I have eaten there more than AG, and have yet to have a bad meal!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Haven't heard of it? Where is it?
I like Peppers Grill so far. We've eaten there twice. Applebees is good too.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard of it? Where is it?
I like Peppers Grill so far. We've eaten there twice. Applebees is good too.
Pepper's Grill (what I have had) is good.

Casa de Sueños is in Tularosa. It's on the south side right before you get to town.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Okay we'll check it out next time we're over that way.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Okay we'll check it out next time we're over that way.
I think you'll like it...the atmosphere is neat, too!

I think my main problem is that I miss Tex-Mex that I don't have to cook myself.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I think you'll like it...the atmosphere is neat, too!

I think my main problem is that I miss Tex-Mex that I don't have to cook myself.
What do you miss Tex-Mex wise? I don't like to eat what is know as Mexican food here, it is nothing like what I grew up with. My hubby's favorite Mexican food place in town is my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico