Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 AM

79 posts, read 327,325 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post what a refreshing spring night it is tonight! There is a breeze that smells a little like rain. It is currently 45 degrees at midnight. I also wanted to add that at 11pm, I left my house in Rio Rancho and drove to work. I am a middle aged caucasion woman. I do not fear walking outside my home at 11pm to get into my car. I am a front desk clerk at a call center here in Rio Rancho and I work the grave shift. I often watch our associates walk from the building to their vehicles at all hours of the night and not once have we seen an assault or any crime on our property (I've worked here for 5 years), we are primarily women/mothers that work here at night.
You can read statistics about violent crime, gangs, and drug use, and read some posters here rant about the bad it is in New Mexico, but here is MY true day-to-day experience.
I earn less than $28,000 a year, so I do not necessarily live in a "rich" part of twon.
To those of you considering moving to New Mexico, talk to us here on the board...and ask where we live. When someone cries high crime, this town is awful, blah, blah, blah...make sure you do not live in their area, obviously it is bad. Seek out those of us who enjoy where we live.
onelilredrose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM

15 posts, read 82,707 times
Sounds like a lovely spring night indeed -- thanks for the post

Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,845 times
Unfortunately, crime isn't a crime until it happens, take your normal common sense preccautions and don't let your guard down, take this advice from a crime victim.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
onelilredrose ~

Thanks for the wonderful, positive post!!!!

You made my day! How I look forward to refreshing spring nights (and every other kind of night) in New Mexico.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
True tito. But i think the point shes trynna make is that one person has a bad experience in a town and they say the whole town is terrible. Shes just showing hte other side

Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Don't you love that "smell" of rain here in the high desert? It is so unique...I have only smelled it here and in El Paso...if I ever live somewhere that isn't Albuquerque/Rio Rancho, I will remember that smell until I die.

The great thing about our springs are typically warm, sunny days (albeit the last few days have been an exception in a little chilly in the 50s and cloudier) and cool, refreshing, crisp evenings. Usually over the past month, when I have been out at night for my runs - between 8:30pm - 10pm - it has still been in the low-60s which has been great, however, the last few nights have been cooler for sure, which isn't so bad either.

Spring in this area is hard to beat (when the wind isn't out of control!)...

Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
True tito. But i think the point shes trynna make is that one person has a bad experience in a town and they say the whole town is terrible. Shes just showing hte other side
I wish her well, because she wants to share her enthusiasm with others. However crime is a matter of probabilities, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the odds increase by either being in the wrong place or at the wrong time. Putting oneself as a "bait" to check if what other people are saying is true or not, is courageous but unnecessarily risky.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:10 AM

79 posts, read 327,325 times
Default Still a beautiful night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
I wish her well, because she wants to share her enthusiasm with others. However crime is a matter of probabilities, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the odds increase by either being in the wrong place or at the wrong time. Putting oneself as a "bait" to check if what other people are saying is true or not, is courageous but unnecessarily risky.
I understand your point, and thanks for the concern (I think?); I worked in a jail when I was younger and I know all too well about having to be aware of your surroundings and not letting your guard down. I don't just go walking around at night unaware of my surroundings; that would be just stupid.
BrianH was right, this is just MY experiences in my town/neighborhood. I wanted to relay to readers here that there ARE areas that are not crime ridden to the point that you must stay inside and fear for your life. Even in the middle of a city; you can enjoy the fresh air and quiet surroundings. It really isn't all that bad.
And just for those interested, I came to work again tonigh,t the same as last night, the same as I do every night; and it is a cool 53 degrees out, with that refreshing wet/just rained smell outside! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this season in the desert!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I dont think shes baiting herself. Shes seems like a smart girl who knows what is going on. I would never live in fear of being a victim of crime, knor do walk around with eyes in the back of my head. I am sensible and thats all i need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico