Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a special dog rescue group in NM as we are faced with having to give up our lab/pitbull mix we adopted a month ago. We will NOT release him back to any shelter or Humane Society. I love him dearly but he came to us with serious issues and now has attacked our kitten. He needs lots of love but also an experienced trainer and be placed in the right home situation and with the right owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
I have dealt with Watermelon Mountain Ranch in Rio Rancho several times over the years. Is is a non-profit organization established in 1996 to create a safe haven for the homeless abandoned and abused pets. They are a rescue and pet placement organization that is made up of volunteers and a small paid staff to care for our animals daily. Watermelon Mountain Ranch is a no-kill facility and animal sanctuary. Their website is at: Watermelon Mountain Ranch New Mexico No Kill Animal Center

Rich

Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
I second Watermelon Mountain Ranch. They have a great couple who works with them and the dogs.

We adopted our dog from there and plan to get any future pets from there.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I would call the shelter you got your dog from. It's illegal to adopt out a dog with that kind of history and if something serious happens and your dog kills or attacks a person, the shelter could be liable and so could the person that took this dog to a shelter and didn't give history of the dog.
The only people I've dealt with here are the ones in Ruidoso at the humane society. They are a good group of caring people.
I don't think I would have brought a dog into the house with a kitten. It's not that your dog attacked your cat because your dog is bad and has behavioral issues. For the most part (and I take it you've not heard this before) but dogs and cats will never be the best of friends unless maybe you get your kitten and puppy the same time and they grow up together.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I would call the shelter you got your dog from. It's illegal to adopt out a dog with that kind of history and if something serious happens and your dog kills or attacks a person, the shelter could be liable and so could the person that took this dog to a shelter and didn't give history of the dog.
Excellent advice. Any dog with 'serious issues' should not be released to the population at large.

Quote:
The only people I've dealt with here are the ones in Ruidoso at the humane society. They are a good group of caring people.
I don't think I would have brought a dog into the house with a kitten. It's not that your dog attacked your cat because your dog is bad and has behavioral issues. For the most part (and I take it you've not heard this before) but dogs and cats will never be the best of friends unless maybe you get your kitten and puppy the same time and they grow up together.
For better or worse, this is perfectly typical behavior for many dogs. Some dogs have very strong prey drives and will never regard cats or any other small furry critter as anything other than snack food. It doesn't mean that they have behavioral 'problems', if anything it simply means that they are acting, well, like dogs.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I have to agree about his temporment> I know how hard this is to face, my heart goes out to you and this little creature (probably not little) but it sounds like he may not be adoptable...

Nita

Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times
Quote:
The problem with the Humane Society where we got this dog is that it seems there's no history on any of the pets brought in--at least no questionnaire has been completed and no info on the kennels. When I asked the one employee why, I was told that people are afraid to devulge info for fear of being arrested! Most people won't say why they're surrendering the dog--or bringing in repeated litters of kittens, for example. Spaying and neutering is unheard of--very backward and uneducated. Having said this, there was a section of the dog kennels reserved for dogs not to be touched and it was occupied almost exclusively (and sadly) by pitbulls.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I hate to even say this because putting your pet to sleep is one of the worst feelings to experience but I would rather do that than take a dog with problems to the humane society for someone else to deal with and maybe that's what some people do.
I don't even know what good it would do to take your dog to a trainer because regardless of how well a dog is trained, dogs are still dogs and will act like dogs.
Have you been to the Dog Forum on here? If not, go there and post or write to one of the mods like 'Sam I am' who is very knowledgeable about dogs.
That's what I did when I was having some dog problems and the people on there are so knowledgable.
The only thing I can tell you is what I've been told by the Humane Society.
The 2 dogs I have now came with a history but that may be only part of the story.
Your dog may not purposely be attacking your cat. He may be playing the way he was taught to play. Most dogs and cats don't get along but it's not your dogs fault. Just being a dog.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM

13 posts, read 35,372 times
I adopted a 11 month old stray, with no training and with a very excitable personality....hound/terrier mix.

My three middle-aged cats were terrified of this tornado in the house.

I put baby gates up to separate the warring factions and after 3 months, they were all used to each other and now the cat who was most terrified lets the dog lick his face. They all sleep together on the back porch.

This solution was certainly a short term hassle and will not work for all situations but might be worth a try if your house is configured to allow for it and let the beasts work it out for themselves.

Good luck and good for you for adopting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico