Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I see every year on the national news about the elderly dying in the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex of high heat and humidity in the summer months so i guess we all have our problems eh........
I have to disagree with you on that: I don't remember many times reading where elderly people in the Dallas area were dieing from heat and humity. Would I want to move back there? No, but not often did people die. This does happen in Chicago from time to time, mostly because they do not have air conditioning the way everyone does in the Dallas area. You can read anything once in awhile but every year? That is really a stretch. NMNita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to disagree with you on that: I don't remember many times reading where elderly people in the Dallas area were dieing from heat and humity. Would I want to move back there? No, but not often did people die. This does happen in Chicago from time to time, mostly because they do not have air conditioning the way everyone does in the Dallas area. You can read anything once in awhile but every year? That is really a stretch. NMNita
Yeah your right as i shouldn't have said every year. But i remember seeing Dan Rather (before Cattie) on the CBS Evening News reporting how the elderly were dying in the Dallas Metroplex do to extremly high temps and humidity and many were found dead in their places with no a/c as the coroner was saying Heat Stroke was the cause. I'm sure for some unknown reason some elderly in Phoenix are without a/c and do die but it didn't make the national news like Dallas so i assume its the ''Sauna'' type conditions of humidity that makes it worse as i personally experience those conditions by living in Hot & Humid Jacksonville, Florida for some years. But i distinctly remember it was in Dallas over those several summers back.

I'm pondering why i used EVERY year as i shouldn't have said that.....

Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 75,488 times
Hi All, I am living in Carrizozo right now and a few days ago the winds were so bad they literally blew the pea pods off the plants in my garden. It's always bad winds in the spring, not so much the rest of the year but that was a first.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,044 times
Default I live in Abq and I break the ice on my outdoor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomom2000 View Post
My mother lives about 1 mile SW of Carrizozo and the wind blows all the time. Some days it's really bad, more than 50 mph, and others it's not so bad, 15-20 mph. She has only a few days a year where there is no wind. The winter is the worst because it gets cold AND windy. She has to break ice in her animal's waterers all winter long. It is also very hot in the summer. It is beautiful, but the wind is the price you will pay.
fish tank in the winters. Quite thick it is, too. I am looking to relocate away from the crime and urban sprawl of Abq. and have been researching Carizozo. It's hard to know what to think, reading the forums.

I wondered if there was much in the way of vegetation, as not many of the houses for sale appear to have much in the way of gardens, but the wind would explain that.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corazones View Post
I am looking to relocate away from the crime and urban sprawl of Abq. and have been researching Carizozo.
The BEST WAY to research it is to visit there. It's only about 2-1/2 hour drive from Albq. The wind does NOT blow continually there, but like almost everywhere in the state, when it does blow, you know it! And vegetation implies watering, and that is a scarce commodity in most of the desert regions of the SW, including 'zozo.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Default Yes, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The BEST WAY to research it is to visit there. It's only about 2-1/2 hour drive from Albq. The wind does NOT blow continually there, but like almost everywhere in the state, when it does blow, you know it! And vegetation implies watering, and that is a scarce commodity in most of the desert regions of the SW, including 'zozo.

The wind is fierce in Abq at times; lots of sand in the house. I do my research Online first and then visit. No need to waste my energy, and gas to go see something that would not do and which would have been apparent had I read about it first. I have been to several places, including Mountainair, and Edgewood. I don't think Edgewood will do for me.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
I do my research Online first and then visit.
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but there is much more to anyplace than just bricks and mortar. It's impossible to appreciate the ambiance of a given place without a visit, IMHO. Relying on data banks and other people's opinions can be misleading - and usually is! again, IMHO. This is especially true of someplace like Carrizozo, where the town itself may be nothing spectacular, but the surrounding countryside certainly is! One need not live "in" 'zozo since there are nearby communities like Nogal, Capitan, Lincoln and Ruidoso that offer viable and very desirable alternatives.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
The wind is fierce in Abq at times; lots of sand in the house. I do my research Online first and then visit.
I'd much prefer Capitan to Carrizozo... prettier, better services and closer to even better services.

You certainly won't be experiencing less wind and dust issues in Carrizozo compared to Albuquerque.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Default You really can't supply the solution unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but there is much more to anyplace than just bricks and mortar. It's impossible to appreciate the ambiance of a given place without a visit, IMHO. Relying on data banks and other people's opinions can be misleading - and usually is! again, IMHO. This is especially true of someplace like Carrizozo, where the town itself may be nothing spectacular, but the surrounding countryside certainly is! One need not live "in" 'zozo since there are nearby communities like Nogal, Capitan, Lincoln and Ruidoso that offer viable and very desirable alternatives.

you understand the problem. Given that I sold my car when I shattered my ankle some time back, and still have not replaced it the only way I can spend 5hrs RT in a car is if I rent one. Which is easily done, but why even bother if I can research Online and read comments - which may be heavily biased, of course - and get an idea before I look?

If anyone is made nervous and anxious by wind [ and I don't say that I am. Just using that as a point of reference] then why even look at a place that is constantly windy? There could be the prettiest town in the world with lovely houses at a good price, but it would still be windy. Research gives you crime data, also.

And there are other factors apart from transportation that would affect my decision. I am not going to rush down to Carizozo if research tells me that Tularosa would be a better fit.

I know where I wouldn't live. I have driven up and down I25 to the border countless times and know the adjacent small towns. I used to ride near Socorro, over a wide area.

And I am also 73 and dread the physical effort of moving, so I have to make it as easy as I can, including weeding out places that I would not want to live in.

I really don't understand the problem about researching before visiting. It makes sense to me, and it' my life, after all. I just remarked that many people commented on the wind.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Thank you rruff [I guess you own dogs?]...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'd much prefer Capitan to Carrizozo... prettier, better services and closer to even better services.

You certainly won't be experiencing less wind and dust issues in Carrizozo compared to Albuquerque.
Capitan is on my list to research also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico