Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Posole is one of those recipes (like Texas chili or green chile stew) that I have made for years, and I'm always tinkering with it.

I have used everything from completely dried posole to frozen, semi-fresh..and *gasp!* canned hominy. Ditto changing the seasoning...and using everything from fresh red chile pods out of the garden, dried pods, powder, frozen red chile puree...et al.

It is easy to find frozen posole here, so I have used that for the last 2-3 massive potfulls. I had a package of ABQ Tortilla Company's frozen posole in the freezer, so I made it this morning according to the directions. It gave an 8-qt stockpot a run for its money, and made enough for Coxey's army.

I am finding that I prefer my original recipe with canned hominy and pure fresh red chile powder! It's not even the convenience....I like the canned hominy and more clear broth better than I do the starchiness of the frozen posole (and yes, it cooked correctly, popped and all that).

And I'm usually more for the from-scratch stuff, but not in this case!

So how do you like yours? I'm going back to my original recipe, though this is very, very good!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 11-11-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IIRC - Canned vegetables are picked later and riper than "fresh" vegetables that are shipped cross country. That may be why the frozen tastes better. Do you have a recipe you would share?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
Yes, we need recipes. I saw some dried blue corn posole at Smith's last night.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
I've long been confused by the use of the term "pozole" on packages of what otherwise would be called "hominy." As quoted from a Wikipedia article, below, "pozole" refers to the soup or stew made from the "nixtamalized corn" used as the main ingredient:

Quote:
Pozole (from Spanish pozole, from Nahuatl potzolli; variant spellings: posole, pozolé, pozolli) is a traditional pre-Columbian soup or stew from Mexico. Also: pozole (a stew of hominy and pork, chicken, or other meat)

The primary nutritional benefits of nixtamalization arise from the alkaline processing involved. These conditions convert corn's bound niacin to free niacin, making it available for absorption into the body. Alkalinity also reduces the amount of the protein zein available to the body, which, though this reduces the overall amount of protein, improves the balance among essential amino acids.
Secondary benefits can arise from the grain's absorption of minerals from the alkali used or from the vessels used in preparation. These effects can increase calcium (by 750%, with 85% available for absorption), iron, copper and zinc.
Lastly, nixtamalization significantly reduces (by 90-94%) mycotoxins produced by Fusarium verticillioides and Fusarium proliferatum, molds that commonly infect maize and the toxins of which are putative carcinogens.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...n-recipes.html

The recipe I'm going back to is in this thread. It's been my favorite for a very long time.

I also made the Ceremonial salsa this summer, and it was really, really good!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Never had it, never made it. Will have to try it one day soon.

I really need to take one of you grocery shopping with me. I see so many different things that I've never seen before. No idea what they are or how to prepare them.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Never had it, never made it. Will have to try it one day soon.

I really need to take one of you grocery shopping with me. I see so many different things that I've never seen before. No idea what they are or how to prepare them.
There is an easy, standard recipe on the package of frozen posole (Albuquerque Tortilla Company)...you'll need pork (or beef), red chile puree (I used Bueno Foods, 2 14-oz containers), garlic, onions...and Mexican oregano.

You can use Greek/Mediterranean oregano instead of Mexican, but it will change the flavor quite a bit. It's easy to find the Mexican, though.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I make mine with frozen posole,red chile, large chunks of pork,oregano,garlic,salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime, and eat with a tortilla or sopapilla.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:15 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I make mine with frozen posole,red chile, large chunks of pork,oregano,garlic,salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime, and eat with a tortilla or sopapilla.
My mom always throws in a pig's trotter while cooking for added flavor. Yum!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Thanks for the link to the recipe thread. We need to make that current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico