Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:54 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,137,505 times

Advertisements

"Southwest" has to be directly below " midwest, So that would put it Alababa, Louisiana and Texas.

If this isn't where you think of that as southwest what states to you consider " midwest" and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
"Southwestern" is a term that includes many overlapping regions. One thing I think anybody would agree with is New Mexico is "southwestern" to the core-- the "southwestern" most state in the southwest. Beyond NM, what is or isn't included can be up for interpretation.

Here's a rough mental map that I drew:

Opinions?
I have always thought that Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California were associated with the Great Southwest.
After doing some googling, I see that the southern part of Colorado and part of Arkansas could be included by definition, and possibly even Oklahoma.

I moved to New Mexico because I wanted to visit some of the archaeological sites, ghost towns, and historic sites, as well as partake in some southwestern delicacies it has to offer.

I have driven the mountains, canyons, valleys, and even river beds to look for the unusual. My next planned trip is to Aden Crater. After viewing the Butte, in Elephant Butte, Aden Crater should be a real treat for me.
http://www.geo.utep.edu/loca/Volcanos/ADEN.HTML
I've also been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings, and am awestruck by some of the natural beauty the state of New Mexico has to offer. The best part? It's right in my own back yard, and I do not have to hop a jetliner to go see it all, or plan a lenghty vacation either.

This state has much to offer for everyone.

After viewing and experiencing Aden Crater, I'd like to check out the lava beds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jornada_del_Muerto

Would anyone believe me if I told them I know where there is petrified reptile dung? or, how about a fish fossil, a large one!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,908 times
Petrified dung, dinosaur, reptile, etc. are usually called coprolites, pretty common in the west..errr, southwest..intermountain west, pacific southwest.. whatever
Fish fossils, less so.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Petrified dung, dinosaur, reptile, etc. are usually called coprolites, pretty common in the west..errr, southwest..intermountain west, pacific southwest.. whatever
Fish fossils, less so.
Yes, I know, but, I like to put things in simpler terms.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,941 times
dueling maps of the great southwest:
Southwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,472,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Colorado is a split between Southwestern, mainly in its Southeastern section (Trinidad, La Junta) with much of the rest being intermountain like Utah or Idaho. I wouldn't consider it Midwestern, except in its Easternmost areas near the Nebraska border.

Yes.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Yes, I know, but, I like to put things in simpler terms.
A friend of mine bought a large quantity of small ones, boxed them and sold em as Dino-Poop. He made a lot of money, but I prefer coprolite.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I don't agree with your map whatsoever. You cannot tell me that the entire state of AZ is not part of the Southwest. We are not part of So Cal.

from the boards, people in PHX sure love to think they are part of So.Cal and many others from other states seem to think so too, I dont though, but i will admit, the PHX area does seem to get lumped in more with CA than with NM.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I have always thought that Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California were associated with the Great Southwest.
After doing some googling, I see that the southern part of Colorado and part of Arkansas could be included by definition, and possibly even Oklahoma.

I moved to New Mexico because I wanted to visit some of the archaeological sites, ghost towns, and historic sites, as well as partake in some southwestern delicacies it has to offer.

I have driven the mountains, canyons, valleys, and even river beds to look for the unusual. My next planned trip is to Aden Crater. After viewing the Butte, in Elephant Butte, Aden Crater should be a real treat for me.
ADEN
I've also been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings, and am awestruck by some of the natural beauty the state of New Mexico has to offer. The best part? It's right in my own back yard, and I do not have to hop a jetliner to go see it all, or plan a lenghty vacation either.

This state has much to offer for everyone.

After viewing and experiencing Aden Crater, I'd like to check out the lava beds.
Jornada del Muerto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would anyone believe me if I told them I know where there is petrified reptile dung? or, how about a fish fossil, a large one!

I dont think Texas has much in common with the Southwest other than El Paso, I dont find Lubbock,Amarillo,Dallas,Austin,Houston,Marshall to be Southwestern at all, or most of Eastern NM.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,319,651 times
Totally agree with you, desert sun. My perspective is someone who has lived in Denver, Phoenix, LA, and now Reno... travelled all throughout the southwest my whole life. My definition of the various regions of the southwest in my mental map above is primarily cultural, not necessarily climate or geography, although the two often coincide.

Texas (with the exception of El Paso and extreme west Texas), Oklahoma, Arkansas... not southwestern, or western at all. Those are straight up southern states. Maybe the "western South," to use an expression from one of my favorite posters, TexReb, but the South nonetheless. Anyone who claims those states are part of the same region as New Mexico has obviously never spent a lot of time in both to know the difference. At one point in time in American history, those states were considered "the southwest," just as Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota were once considered the "northwest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico