Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

I don't know what the yellow tape was about. That is weird, no doubt about it. Nothing good, I'll bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 96,461 times
Tucumcari is a very nice town. My friend and I drove to NM about a year or so ago. We drove old Route 66 where available. Blue Swallow Motel was our choice. Small, spotless nostalgic rooms and the owners were so gracious. Depending on truck size, parking might be tight. I think the rate was $38. for 2. We had a tire problem and went to the tire place nearby and the service was outstanding. In fact many post cards and letters stuck on the bulletin board which stated that if you were ever going to have car trouble in NM, it should be in Tucumcari because of the service!! Since we had time to burn while waiting for the tires, we strolled the street talking to shop owners and eating 1950s food. Although my path took me often through Tucumcari many times, it was the very first time to experience this place. Loved it and never felt safer anywhere.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I think the Blue Swallow has changed owners since I was there. I'm surprised it's that reasonable; I think I paid more than that when I was there several years ago. I agree with you about about Tucumcari; I got good 1950ish vibes from it too.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
We love Tucumcari.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 22,818 times
I got some friends living in Tucumcari right now. (They're old hippies--she makes jewelry and he makes sand candles) They were on their way back to Arizona--in their old 1979 rv and old van(one drove the rv, the other the van) and their van broke down in Tucumcari. They are living there right now and working (she's waitress at a restaurant and he's building someone's house) til they save up some money to go home.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
Did anyone ever find out about the yellow tape at the Tucumcari Truck Terminal? Wonder if it was due to new ownership by Valero? Possibly the pumps needed to be updated. I am curious because I used to live in Tucumcari. Thanks for any info you may have about this.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Default Tucumcari a good place to stop for the night?

As the title suggests, I'll be driving cross country and wondered if Tucumcari is a good place to stop for the night?

Is it safe? Any ideas on where to stay? Anything quaint?

Recommendations on where to eat (I'm gluten free ).

All I need is a simple, safe, quiet hotel or B&B that will take my small dog.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have read that there are any number of old motels in Old Rt 66 in town in addition to the new hotels near the exits. I have no idea of their quality or prices. Check the town website.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
The prices have gone up some in the last few years but yes, motel rooms are plentiful in Tucumcari. As GregW stated, your basic chain motels are off the interstate (2nd exit) but there are several motels along Route 66 (Tucumcari Blvd.) I've stayed in over the last decade, some of those being the Pow Wow Inn, Americana Inn, Blue Swallow Motel, and the Safari Inn. There are lot of motels on the main drag.

Not sure of the prices, I would imagine during the summer they would be in the 35 to 40 dollar range. Last year I stayed at the Americana and paid $30 for a room, I also had a coupon for that price from one of the motel/restaurant coupon books you see at the truck stops.

I'm not sure about gluten free, but the restaurant that always gets my business is Del's Diner. It's not easy running a mom and pop restaurant and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but Del's has been doing business for over a half century. When I go through Tucumcari I always stop there-always.

I'm not sure about pets, as you're checking through the motels web sites, it probably wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. I would think most of the mom and pops are good with dogs, so long as you tell them in advance.

Safe travels!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm not sure about gluten free, but the restaurant that always gets my business is Del's Diner. It's not easy running a mom and pop restaurant and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but Del's has been doing business for over a half century. When I go through Tucumcari I always stop there-always.
Here is Del's menu - http://www.delsrestaurant.com/images...Menu%20web.pdf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico