Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM

322 posts, read 547,946 times

Advertisements

I need some guidance from the inside.

We (my family and i) have had a relocation in the works for about a year now. We are putting the finishing touches on our home here in New Jersey to list is as soon as the Spring buying season begins. The plan has always been Albuquerque. My wife grew up there, plenty to do, etc.

Here's where I need your help. My company is willing to pay for relocation if I take a "remote" position, so there's an opportunity to save myself around $15k total relocation costs, not a small number. But I know exactly ZERO about the towns I listed above except the raw data I can pull off of this sight.

So what do you think guys? Any of these towns appealing for a couple of thirtysomethings with 2 kids? Or should we wait it out for ABQ?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,908,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
I need some guidance from the inside.

We (my family and i) have had a relocation in the works for about a year now. We are putting the finishing touches on our home here in New Jersey to list is as soon as the Spring buying season begins. The plan has always been Albuquerque. My wife grew up there, plenty to do, etc.

Here's where I need your help. My company is willing to pay for relocation if I take a "remote" position, so there's an opportunity to save myself around $15k total relocation costs, not a small number. But I know exactly ZERO about the towns I listed above except the raw data I can pull off of this sight.

So what do you think guys? Any of these towns appealing for a couple of thirtysomethings with 2 kids? Or should we wait it out for ABQ?

If I had to choose among these three locations, I'd go for Aztec.

You are close to Colorado and all of the outdoor activities it offers, as well as those in NM. It's small, but it is close to larger Farmington, where you have services, schooling, retail outlets, and housing.

Angel Fire is a relatively expensive tourist/resort area.

Someone else will have to weigh in on Raton, but from what I've read here from others, I'd still go for Aztec.

I know you are very much interested in saving the relo costs, but if you have a choice of these three or ABQ and paying some of the cost yourselves, will it be worth it in the long run?

ABQ is quite a drive from any of the three places you mentioned.

Just my .02.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,768,090 times
I've been to all 3 a number of times & would tend to agree with Cathy. I would choose Aztec, especially for a family-friendly town.

Angel Fire is a isolated ski resort.

Raton is OK, although a bit run down, but it too is a bit isolated, in my opinion.

Aztec is a nice small town, close to Farmington for shopping, and close to lots of outdoor activities around the Durango area: hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc. The Anasazi ruins in the Four Corners area are pretty magnificent. Navajo Lake, Aztec ruins, hey, Aztec even got a best town award many years ago.

But really, I think you need to fly out to Albuquerque & then drive to all three places to have a look.

If you are avid skiers you may love Angel Fire. Or avid golfers. Angel Fire is close to Taos.

Or you might love the old buildings in Raton & enjoy Raton pass area.

Come visit!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks Cathy, that's why I asked. I live in a small town now, so that part doesn't scare me. BUT I'm only 35 minutes out of Philly if I get a city jones y'know?

So my initial reaction was to agree with you about Aztec, what freaked me out is through research on this site I've discovered that Farmington has a crime rate similar (proportionally of course) to Washington DC. To those that have never been to our capital outside of the capital district..2 words..stay away!

But I also recognize that raw data doesn't always paint a complete picture, so here I am at your mercy!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,876,992 times
Quote:
My company is willing to pay for relocation if I take a "remote" position, so there's an opportunity to save myself around $15k total relocation costs, not a small number. But I know exactly ZERO about the towns I listed above except the raw data I can pull off of this sight.

I have been to all three, Raton, Aztec and Angel Fire, but to be honest I am not that familiar with them.

Aztec is just too far away for me and my family.

Angel Fire is a nice, popular ski resort which I just would not want to live in.

Raton is an easier and faster drive on the interstate to Albuquerque or to the parts of Colorado which we travel to.

I would hold out for Albuquerque.

Those relocation expenses may not cover your entire move (I have moved a lot) and depending on how it is paid out it might be counted as taxable income, which might be a shock. Speak with someone who is knowledgable on the subject (Our last move in 1998 and 99, was about $20,000+ which was "Company paid" and it actually cost us about $6,000 out of pocket in taxes)

Rich

fine print, the above is based on my actual experiences, not by a googleologist making your decions while sitting on their buttocks, flapping their jaws...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,908,557 times
Quote:
Thanks Cathy, that's why I asked. I live in a small town now, so that part doesn't scare me. BUT I'm only 35 minutes out of Philly if I get a city jones y'know?

So my initial reaction was to agree with you about Aztec, what freaked me out is through research on this site I've discovered that Farmington has a crime rate similar (proportionally of course) to Washington DC. To those that have never been to our capital outside of the capital district..2 words..stay away!

But I also recognize that raw data doesn't always paint a complete picture, so here I am at your mercy!
You're right about that!

The biggest issue about living in Angel Fire is that it is a resort area (which isn't a bad thing if that is what you want)...and if you are having to drive to ABQ, the road out of AF until you get to I-25 is going to be winding and slow-going in parts! It would not surprise me if it is closed frequently during the winter.

Farmington gets bashed on a regular basis for various reasons.

Crime is a definite factor, but that is true for all of NM. It's a poor state, and there is poverty everywhere, along with all of the good that is here.

So.....it would be well worth a trip here to visit all three areas.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 01-20-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 AM

4,894 posts, read 4,842,039 times
Scroll down a dozen or so threads and read what I wrote about Angel Fire. I'll add that if you have kids, they will spend 1-2 hours on a school bus everyday because there are no schools in Angel Fire (and not many kids).

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,876,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Scroll down a dozen or so threads and read what I wrote about Angel Fire. I'll add that if you have kids, they will spend 1-2 hours on a school bus everyday because there are no schools in Angel Fire (and not many kids).
Threads move....

Here it is with what I consider good comments from jiminnm:
Angel Fire?

Rich

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
1-2 hours? Yeah that dog aint huntin. Where are the schools if not in town? Are there towns in the immediate area to these locations that are commutable?

I'm not a huge fan of resorty type places, even as a tourist myself. It just seems to me that when you spend most of your time trying to impress people with your town, that becomes part of your persona. It's almost cultish..kinda creepy.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,897,847 times
May I ask what you do to have your company pay for part of your relocation to such garden spots of the universe but not to Albuquerque?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico