Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

Get the Benchmark Atlas, the Forest Service, Bureau Land Mgt. and the State Parks info. Lots & lots of recreational camping.

Last edited by GregW; 06-06-2007 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: speling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get the Benchmark Atlas, the Forest Service, Bureau Land Mgt. and the State Parks info. Lots & lots of recreational camping.
Thanks Greg. We definitely will! I REALLY appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
My kids are in the same age range as yours. We found some really neat places to camp while we lived in New Mexico. If you're interested in venturing out of that area the rest of the state and even southern Colorado have some great places to visit that would keep your child entertained. My kids loved:

City of Rocks - My kids loved this and they had showers. You camp among the rocks
Gila Cliff dwellings- Camping not as great, but the kids liked it anyway.
Three Rivers Petroglyphs site- We camped at the campground at the base of Sierra Blanca. I don't remember showers, but the view was beautiful. My children enjoyed spotting petroglyphs. This is also not that far from the White Sands. My kids totally love it there. Oliver Lee state park was a great place to camp with showers. You are relatively close to the White Sands and Petroglyph sites also.
We didn't camp at Grants, but the kids loved being able to climb in a volcano and walk through the lava tubes. El Morro and Inscription Rock were pretty interesting too.
Great Sand Dunes in southern Colorado - This is a favorite. You have to show up on Thursday morning to get a camp site while people are leaving or you won't get a spot. My kids loved playing in Medino Creek and walking around the dunes. THey also got Junior Ranger Badges there.
Tent Rocks at Cochiti- I wasn't impressed with our campground, but my kids did enjoy walking on the trails.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 27,772 times
There's lots of developed camping sites up in the Jemez near Jemez Springs, but the best of the camping sites are those that aren't completely developed campgrounds. This way you can have some privacy, experience the quiet/serene outdoors, and still remain close to all the activities the Jemez Springs area has to offer.

There are two places that I like in particular:
-At the NM4/126 (La Cueva, NM) intersection, go left (West) on 126. This road is 40 miles long, and goes from this intersection all the way to Cuba, NM. In between NM4 and Cuba there are PLENTY of good camping spots, but especially past the fish hatchery and Fenton Lake. I prefer camping near Seven Springs, or also 23.4 miles down route 126 on the right (TY for GPS'!)
**NOTE: This road is not paved the whole way. It has paved, gravel, and dirt sections

-Near the Jemez Springs Ranger Station there is a turn off (to the west) that is a windy road that leads you through two tunnels cut into rock cliffs. If you follow that road past the tunnels, you will pass a Boy Scout camp. Keep going until the road turns to dirt, and at this point you should be right alongside the river. When there's no runoff the river is easily crossable by 4x4 vehicle to the other side, secluding you from the road, etc, and providing an AWESOME camping experience.

Those are two of my favorite spots up there, but SHHHH...I'd hate to see them turn in to Redondo, Soda Dam, or Jemez Springs campgrounds style.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDFrosty View Post
There's lots of developed camping sites up in the Jemez near Jemez Springs, but the best of the camping sites are those that aren't completely developed campgrounds. This way you can have some privacy, experience the quiet/serene outdoors, and still remain close to all the activities the Jemez Springs area has to offer.

There are two places that I like in particular:
-At the NM4/126 (La Cueva, NM) intersection, go left (West) on 126. This road is 40 miles long, and goes from this intersection all the way to Cuba, NM. In between NM4 and Cuba there are PLENTY of good camping spots, but especially past the fish hatchery and Fenton Lake. I prefer camping near Seven Springs, or also 23.4 miles down route 126 on the right (TY for GPS'!)
**NOTE: This road is not paved the whole way. It has paved, gravel, and dirt sections

-Near the Jemez Springs Ranger Station there is a turn off (to the west) that is a windy road that leads you through two tunnels cut into rock cliffs. If you follow that road past the tunnels, you will pass a Boy Scout camp. Keep going until the road turns to dirt, and at this point you should be right alongside the river. When there's no runoff the river is easily crossable by 4x4 vehicle to the other side, secluding you from the road, etc, and providing an AWESOME camping experience.

Those are two of my favorite spots up there, but SHHHH...I'd hate to see them turn in to Redondo, Soda Dam, or Jemez Springs campgrounds style.
Thanks for sharing Frosty, BUT I hope it doesn't destroy for your kind, generous post. We will definitely print this one out and check it out. We may have to rent the 4x4, as we have a sedan and van. I know boring, but we intend on getting rid of the sedan in a year or so and getting a used 4x4. Off topic, I'd prefer the new 4 door Wrangler, BUT money may dictate differently. My husband wants to get me into the backpack camping sites, but I'm a tad leary. You know I grew up in the country, but somethings I prefer not so rustic. I know "Me bad!" I will probably change that attitude. Love your ideas. I hope not a lot of people do though. Take care and thanks again!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Thanks for sharing Frosty, BUT I hope it doesn't destroy for your kind, generous post. We will definitely print this one out and check it out. We may have to rent the 4x4, as we have a sedan and van. I know boring, but we intend on getting rid of the sedan in a year or so and getting a used 4x4. Off topic, I'd prefer the new 4 door Wrangler, BUT money may dictate differently. My husband wants to get me into the backpack camping sites, but I'm a tad leary. You know I grew up in the country, but somethings I prefer not so rustic. I know "Me bad!" I will probably change that attitude. Love your ideas. I hope not a lot of people do though. Take care and thanks again!!!
HWB....Since you plan to move to the east mountans you'll be close to all the Campgrounds off of NM337 south between Torreon and Mountainair. They are about 45 miles south of Tijeras heading south along the Manzano mountains....

Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
HWB....Since you plan to move to the east mountans you'll be close to all the Campgrounds off of NM337 south between Torreon and Mountainair. They are about 45 miles south of Tijeras heading south along the Manzano mountains....
Are they in the mountains Harry? Is there a river or lakes? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Are they in the mountains Harry? Is there a river or lakes? Just curious. Thanks.
Yes they are up in the Manzano mountains at around 8000 ft. There are about 5 to 6 different ones. Some are named Fourth of July, Red Canyon and New Canyon campgrounds.

A great map to purchase is ''New Mexico Recreational Map'' at ''Page One Bookstore'' at Juan Tabo and Montgomery Blvd's or at the ''Newstand'' on Central Blvd right across from the UNM Bookstore. It shows every Campground, Ghost Town, State Park and Recreation site in the entire state.......

Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 46,591 times
Default Telephone Number for Jemez Springs?

Hello,
Can anyone give me the telephone number of the Manager or Jemez Springs, so I can ask when would be the best time to Tent Camp there, if fishing is allowed, are dogs on leashes allowed, etc.
Thanking you in advance,
HeidiHo

Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 46,591 times
Default Don't reply to my inquiry on Jemez Springs. It's too far away.

My husband and I have a small cabin in Ruidoso, and are looking for a place to Tent Camp (our RV is in Texas, and too damn expensive to drive) within 75 or possibly 100 miles from here, where we could get there on say Monday or Tuesday, to stay away from some of the crowds, and have a good time, keeping our dog on a leash, and possibly catching some fish. Any ideas would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thanking you in advance,
HeidiHo
Please e-mail me all 'Camping' info at mccord11@windstream.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico