Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:27 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. This message board has scores of posts regarding Silver City as an up and coming retirement community and the Californians moving in, but if you check the US Census Bureau website, you will see that Grant County has actually been losing population over the past several years. Anyone care to weigh in on this apparent contradiction? The statistics just don't seem to support the opinions posted here. Are the locals moving out faster than the retirees can move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 10:00 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Are the locals moving out faster than the retirees can move in?
That would be my guess, though I admit it's just a guess.

I suspect that most kids graduate high school, get out of town, and never look back. An influx of retirees probably boosts local population, but when you consider that lots of those newcomers are only going to be around for another 10-20 years, it doesn't do much for a stable population.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 18,539 times
Silver City is at the top of my list for a permanent (rest of my life) residence, and I've been monitoring/researching the area for a couple of years.

As the mining industry continues its clean up and shut down, many of the former employees are moving out of the area in order to work, and are being replaced by retirees and/or "shut down/clean up" employees. Tourism and service jobs for the retirees appear to be the economic base for the future until/unless some types of (hopefully) clean businesses arrive.

Some of the emigrating out former employees retain ownership of their longtime homes, in anticipation of retirement, and there are therefore long term rentals. This also results in new construction for incoming retirees.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
About half of the new homes sales there are for second-home buyers. These part-time residents are not reckoned into the population statistics. So...yes, there is a lot of development and real estate activity as the demographics transition from blue collar worker to retirees, but it isn't having a drastic effect on population numbers. I expect the population numbers will explode once the Baby Boom retirement bubble hits full stride. Bottom line: Silver City is a much more attractive place for those who have already made their money elsewhere than it is for those who are still building their lives.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
Most of those statistics are older too. Many left when they were laid off from the mines years back. Many more retirees are moving in to Silver City as are other people. It is a nice area to live but there hasn't been a large job pool. It seems though the area is really picking up and should more jobs become available, the area will prosper.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 AM

436 posts, read 681,940 times
I like the SC area, but shouldn't older Americans plan for their needs in SC's somewhat isolated rural environs? What about access to quality medical care and transportation needs? Is an outpatient client going to suffice for specialized care? If retirees are headed to SC (older people require more specialized care as they age) - where are they going to go for medical care? I don't believe people would find it acceptable to drive distances back and forth between a larger city and SC on a weekly basis for treatments/checkups. If the largess of retirees are second homers, are they depending upon medical treatment only at their other community? I'm not aware of quality aging/senior programs, or dependable transportation services for the elderly in SC. Of course many seniors believe it's someone else who'll require this care and not their self. As areas grow, things change - but what about the now?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
The statistics are not older. The 2000 census is old, but the estimates are updated regularly by the census bureau. The latest estimate I looked at prior to posting was July 2005.
Yes SC may be a retirement community in the making, but I just don't see the mad rush and retirement boom everyone is alluding to.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:06 AM

An A- rating from Fitch, you can read at
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_n15788714

Also a good article from the epa
www.epa.gov/brownfields/html-doc/asilverc.htm (broken link)

The county is growing and so is the city. It may not be in large numbers again due to the low job pool, there isn't a lot of jobs there but I know every time I go there, it gets more crowded and is growing. I see new homes and new businesses. Again and I have stressed all along, Silver City needs many more businesses, no doubt about it.

Brian_2, you raise a good point. I think Silver City does need more in the medical field if retirees do continue to move to SC. They have basic care covered but not beyond that most go on to Las Cruces and El Paso to really good medical care but the fact that they do have to travel is a valid one and I think Silver City is going to have to address the fact that since they are focusing on retirees, they will need proper medical care.

SC has a lot going for it. Ten parks, two swimming pools, two museums, Billy the Kid sites, an 18 hole golf course, a bowling center, fine arts auditorium and two movie theaters.

Area attractions include Bear Canyon Lake, Lake Roberts, Faywood Hot Springs, Gila Hot Springs, Gila National Forest, Gila Cliff Dwellings, City of Rocks, Bill Evans Lake, Pinos Altos (historic town), the Catwalk, Mogollon Ghost Town and the Trail of the Mountain Spirits to name some. SC needs to market that it is one of the mildest mountain cities in NM. It has a lot to offer but yes it does need to do more.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-10-2006 at 05:33 AM..

Old 09-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Silver City

Also Silvercity.org has a lot of info about medical, population, info on the area, business, weather and more.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 254,624 times
Default Retirement in Silver City?

I've been reading all the chatter for a few months now and I am beginning to think Silver City may be the place for my wife and I. Its got all the good stuff like a good hospital, university, museums, art, etc. Even though I now live in Wyoming (Jackson - don't even start on me) I originally came from SoCal and really enjoyed outdoor gardening. Pictures I see of Silver City look like all sagebrush and junipers. What can I look forward to growing in this area?
I also enjoy woodworking, but would love a school that offered classes on same for adults. Anything like that in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico