Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun
Eastern NM ... tornadoes ... almost always just touch down out in the country ...
Of course, if you were to take a map of Eastern NM, mount it
on a wall then put on a blindfold, poking thumbtacks into the
the map in random places, you will almost always poke a hole
in a non-urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
One of the things that is a huge problem, and kind of a direct effect on the fires, would be the pine beetle. It is a huge problem in my state.

I scoot through N.M. every three months to visit friends from Albuquerque to Tucumcari to south of Roswell. Coming in from Farmington on 550, I don't see a lot of pine beetle kill when I cross the divide and come into Cuba. Jaxart, if you're reading here, what's going on in your area regarding the pine beetle problem? it's been a few years since I've been to Ruidoso coming in from Roswell. The last time I was there was coming in from Alamogordo on 70 and going right back.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Our valley on the high road was evacuated in '96 for wildfires. It's always been a concern since we are up against national forest. Luckily, nobody's place burned.

When I taught out on the Navajo reservation, flash floods were the greatest concern with the arroyos running. We could drive to Farmington in the morning & have the arroyos on the pipeline roads running like rivers to cross in the afternoon.

Actually, I can remember the main street in Dixon running like a river from the arroyos feeding into it in the '70s when I lived there.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Jaxart, if you're reading here, what's going on in your area regarding the pine beetle problem?
Ponderosa Pine bark beetles have been a problem for years in my area. They seem to come in waves - not sure why. And they attack "local" areas more often than a regional attack. It seems that ALL conifers have their own brand of bark beetles and in northern NM several years ago there was almost total decimation in some areas of the Piñon pine trees. Lincoln county escaped that plague (knock wood). But many fir and possibly spruce trees have been killed off in elevations in the Lincoln Nat. Forest at which they grow.

Speaking of floods - the tiny trickle of a stream that is known locally as the "Rio Ruidoso" flooded a couple of summer's ago and washed away a few houses, damaged many others and destroyed infrastructure that is still not fully repaired (roads, bridges, sewer lines).

Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I lived in Carlsbad. I think I only heard about one tornado in the time I lived there. Most of the tornadoes and major stormy weather went past the area and then hit Texas near the Texas/NM border. often, the sky would cloud up and it would look like something was going to happen, but all we got was a pretty lightning display. We had more problems when it actually rained. The town had never installed drainage systems so the streets flooded during even normal rains.

We also had some pretty major hailstorms. We had one storm that hailed for over an hour because two storm systems met up overhead.

We also had some major dust storms. We got caught out in one and it felt like we had been sandblasted. The dust devils were pretty wild looking too.

The other naturally occurring weather I can think of is drought, but you'd expect that in a desert.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Thank's all for filling me in. I forgot about the fire danger. Is that something you should be concerned with if you are living in a populated area? I know in California we also have fire problems and for those living in a populated area it is more of the smoke and floating debris than anything else. The concern in a populated area in California normally is not with the fire unless your home is on a hillside. For the majority the fire would not be the problem. Is that similar to New Mexico?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Does the Middle Rio Grande have flooding problems in the Socorro area? The Rio Salado and Rio Puerco do not seem to have any flood control structures and the valley is very flat.

FWIW - Up here in the North East we have had major power failures for the last two winters because of ice or wind storms taking down lots of old trees. We were out of power for 6 days during the ice storm and 3 days a few weeks ago due to the wind storm. Inconvenient, but not a disaster.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - Up here in the North East we have had major power failures for the last two winters because of ice or wind storms taking down lots of old trees.
Where I live the power company is very good about proactively clearing trees from easements on a year around basis. That reduces the problem but of course doesn't eliminate it when very tall trees topple over for whatever reason. Power outages that used to be a frequent problem here now are an infrequent nuisance.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
Does the Middle Rio Grande have flooding problems in the Socorro area?
The elevation of the river next to town is 4,530 ft.
The elevation of the town square is just over 4,600 ft.

I would imagine the irrigated agricultural fields are subject to flooding.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
I seem to remember fairly severe flooding in Alamagordo not so long ago, but those things are relatively few and far between. For the most part, New Mexico ducks any 'regular' disasters. Have always wondered about the rift Mortimer brought up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico