Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Hello all,

My wife has about talked me into moving to New Mexico. I told her if we can find employment somewhere in the state and a home we can afford I would consider it.

I realize that what ever an area faces in the way of a natural diaster, a weather condition, or movement within the earth that residence of an area normally may not worry about their form of naturally occuring events, they just prepare for them. For example here in California we have earthquakes but are aware from growing up in the state, how to best be prepaired for them. I know some will say how is that possible, but with an earthquake the majority of home owners are not hurt by the quake but by all the falling household items. You get out of bed and step on a broken glass objects. Another thing is with having a 3 day supply of items ready just in case.

In other parts of the nation Tornadoes may be a problem. I hear about tornado alley from Texas on up into the middle of the nation. On the east coast Hurricanes are a big problem.

What I want to know is what would you the good people of New Mexico consider a natural event that could be life changing. leave it to my uneducated knoweldge of the state, but I seldom hear about New Mexico when a natural disaster occurs.
There has never been greater than a CAT 2 tornado in New Mexico weather history.
Tornado Information Table

Earthquakes are usually small too.

New Mexico

About the only natural disasters that occur in our state is localized flooding.

kare11.com | Twin Cities, MN | New Mexico residents flee flooding

Some businesses reopen in Hatch, N.M., after flooding - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/2006-08-16-nm-flooding_x.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
Here is another link on tornado information:

NM Weather Hazards

And...at the tornado project site, you can input what you want and get a plot:

TornadoHistoryProject.com - Tornado Maps and Database

And then...at the government site, you can input the state, and choose whatever type storm you're interested in, the strength of a tornado, etc:

NCDC Storm Events-Select State (http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwEvent~Storms - broken link)

If you input F3 or greater, you'll see only 4 tornadoes of that intensity that have been documented in New Mexico history. One caveat is that the Fujita scale is a damage scale. It's entirely possible that there have been more F3 (or greater) tornadoes that simply didn't hit anything. All in all though...tornadoes are not a great threat in New Mexico, but one needs to be cognizant of their existence and a bit weather conscious during tornado season...mainly over the eastern counties.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Hello all,

My wife has about talked me into moving to New Mexico. I told her if we can find employment somewhere in the state and a home we can afford I would consider it.

I realize that what ever an area faces in the way of a natural diaster, a weather condition, or movement within the earth that residence of an area normally may not worry about their form of naturally occuring events, they just prepare for them. For example here in California we have earthquakes but are aware from growing up in the state, how to best be prepaired for them. I know some will say how is that possible, but with an earthquake the majority of home owners are not hurt by the quake but by all the falling household items. You get out of bed and step on a broken glass objects. Another thing is with having a 3 day supply of items ready just in case.

In other parts of the nation Tornadoes may be a problem. I hear about tornado alley from Texas on up into the middle of the nation. On the east coast Hurricanes are a big problem.

What I want to know is what would you the good people of New Mexico consider a natural event that could be life changing. leave it to my uneducated knoweldge of the state, but I seldom hear about New Mexico when a natural disaster occurs.
After living in CA, VA, and Texas, then moving to NM, I feel I am a fair judge. Thee are no true natural disasters likely to cause too much concern anywhere in NM except an occassional horrible forest fire. Now, the winds in the spring are a pain in the you know what, but certainly they don't do the damage of tornados, earthquakes, flooding, etc. Anything is possible, highly unlikely would any of the above be in NM.

Nita

Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
Fire potential should be at or near the top of anyone's concern in New Mexico, especially if they live near the interface. Towns positioned like Ruidoso are especially vulnerable.

Tornadoes occur every year, but most are in the eastern plains...and most occur during the daylight hours. Statistically, the greatest dangers are lightning (New Mexico ranks #1 or #2 in deaths per capita...depending on whose stats you use), and flash flooding (New Mexico ranks around 10th in deaths per capita). The main thing to do about those: Be aware of thunderstorm season and how quickly storms can develop...and stay away from arroyos whenever it's raining or even when it's not if it's raining upslope. And...don't drive through water of unknown depth or even fairly shallow water that is flowing.

Being nature and weather-conscious can go a long way toward keeping you and your family safe.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:41 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Thee are no true natural disasters likely to cause too much concern anywhere in NM ...
I'd worry more about a large and very destructive earthquake
in NM than I would in OH - yet with far less area, there have
been more somewhat destructive earthquakes there than here
( that we know of in recorded history ).

I'd also worry more about a large and very destructive earthquake
in Albuquerque than I would in Charleston, SC or Memphis, TN.

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
... Anything is possible, ...
That's why.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Earthquakes

Well there is one earthquake showing today and it is a four pointer. Just click on it through a couple of windows and it will give all the information needed.

If you are viewing this seven days from now, the earthquake will disappear. It happened about an hour ago.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I understand that a highway section by Capitan has been closed due to fires:

NM Fire Info

Anyone know about that fire?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:08 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Anyone know about that fire?
I posted this news item from the Ruidoso paper on Friday in the general chat thread.

FIRES IN LINCOLN COUNTY

Both fires are 100 percent contained according to the reference you cited.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Another thing would be if the Rio Grand Rift were to suddenly get wider due to a magnitude 9.8 earthquake that ripped it 100 feet wider.
And what if the rift was not only wide, but deep?

Currently only about ½ the water taken from the middle Rio Grande valley aquifer is being replenished. If such a massive rift developed, the flow of the Rio Grande could possibly cease at this rift, and go entirely towards replenishing the aquifer [and in the process creating the Great Albuquerque Rift Nat'l Recreation Area].

And poor Texas would have to do with no river water for quite some time. Gosh, I would really feel sorry for them.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:28 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Oh worry, worry, worry,
maybe someday the volcanic dome of Elephant Butte will blow it's top, and reroute the Rio Grande into Arizona of somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico