Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Well, Richardson was right to get rid of the food tax in the first place in 2005--and right to veto it this time.

Thank God. Everything is already quite high enough, TYVM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Yes, now it's onto punishing cigarette smokers.
Why don't they raise the MVFT? That would be easy money.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
So you are saying that New Mexico doesn't have a food tax? What about the county tax. Like where I am living we have a 9 percent tax. Does that mean I would pay 9 percent on all non food items but no tax on the food items? If so, I'd sure like that.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
It would have raised an additional $68 million for our state. We did get several tax raises, including one that will increase the average state tax liability by about $200 pp ( by taxing itemized federal tax deductions, grrrrr ) , an increase of .125 on the gross receipts tax, increase the cigarette tax by .75 per package ( quit whining, just stop smoking ) , and a few other things.

Frankly, I don't think he did enough to take into account that the economy is not going to boom in the next couple of years.

He's outta here though.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
It would have raised an additional $68 million for our state. We did get several tax raises, including one that will increase the average state tax liability by about $200 pp ( by taxing itemized federal tax deductions, grrrrr ) , an increase of .125 on the gross receipts tax, increase the cigarette tax by .75 per package ( quit whining, just stop smoking ) , and a few other things.

Frankly, I don't think he did enough to take into account that the economy is not going to boom in the next couple of years.

He's outta here though.
But if everyone just stopped smoking, then it would be onto some other mandated government vice: alcohol (just stop drinking) junk food (just stop eating it), or whatever else the government deems unhealthy or inappropriate. And this is from someone who has never puffed on a cigarette in his life.

I think this governor would be better served by following the lead of New Jersey's new governor Christie: enough with the taxes during a recession. It's time to start reducing the size of state, county and municipal government, either through attrition or program reduction. The Medicaid budget in this state is 21% of the entire outlay. That needs to have an axe taken to it, in my opinion. Stop raising taxes on individuals who are successful, and instead reduce the cost of operations, and entitlements. That will never happen though, because truthfully, most people don't want that: they don't think this way. They'd rather have something for nothing. But in the end it really does amount to something, and 70 years of freebies and centralized bureaucracy are really now starting to bite this country in the ass. This is hitting the states, and each state is now handling debt in their own way. Most of the states are trying to raise taxes even more, but I am not so sure there is an appetite for it. In New Mexico, I think there's more tolerance for higher taxes, but we shall see.

Last edited by mike0421; 03-26-2010 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
So you are saying that New Mexico doesn't have a food tax? What about the county tax. Like where I am living we have a 9 percent tax. Does that mean I would pay 9 percent on all non food items but no tax on the food items? If so, I'd sure like that.
NM had a tax on food until 2005. Richardson got rid of it at that time.

It's one of the few things he's done right for this state.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM

366 posts, read 869,370 times
Quote:
Yes food items are not taxed. The county/cities receive rebates from the state government for the revenue they lose because the GRT does not apply to food.

That said it is a GRT (Gross Receipts Tax) not a sales tax, so while food isn't taxed, anything else attributed to a companies profit is (all services provided not just final goods), unless of course you can get a special exemption.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
My state rep vetoed it too (before it ever got to the governor) - thanks Jeff - and thanks Gov. Richardson

Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
yep Debbie, NM doesn't have a food tax except, of course the restaurant tax which I think all states have. Here in AR we down to 3% on food. There is still some places in the country that do not charge tax on necessities or charge very little.

Nita

Old 03-27-2010, 06:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
NM had a tax on food until 2005. Richardson got rid of it at that time.

It's one of the few things he's done right for this state.
Cathy, it is amazing how good minds think alike..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico