Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Plenty of lots for sale Cathy... why not buy the land and build exactly what you want?
That has crossed my mind, but the idea of having to deal with ANOTHER builder makes me want to tear my hair out.

I've checked lots in Cloudcroft, and by the time I get through with everything, it will run around $450K! That's not even anything fancy.

I haven't yet done that in Ruidoso--but I have no doubt that to get city services on a level lot is going to be very, very $$$.

But....it remains under consideration. For now, I have other places to check out, starting at the end of this week!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
$450k? I think you are dealing with the wrong people. You can be the contractor yourself, and save a lot of money.

I'm figuring on ~$120k to build a 1600 sq ft house including well and septic... but I'll be doing a lot of the work myself and the interior won't be fancy.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
$450k? I think you are dealing with the wrong people. You can be the contractor yourself, and save a lot of money.

I'm figuring on ~$120k to build a 1600 sq ft house including well and septic... but I'll be doing a lot of the work myself and the interior won't be fancy.
YOU could be the contractor, but not I. By the time you get through buying the lot--and doing everything that has to be done to get to the finished product, it could very, very easily run to 400-450K.

No thanks, LOL!! I want no part of it!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
Thanks JordanJP, Rruff, JDTH, Jaxart......
I think not knowing where to look to get better, local information on houses for sale in Ruidoso, is the problem. I was looking at nationwide websites for Remax and Coldwell Banker. We are talking about first leasing a house to see how we like living in the area (Alto, Capitan, etc.). We have a nine-year old black labrador that lives with us. We have leased during husband's Army years as well as our Civil Service years. The climate is great in the Ruidoso area as it is where we live now. Focused on Ruidoso as it has some similarity to the areas of Woodland Park/Green Mountain Falls where we lived in an awesome cabin house looking out on the mountains around Ute Pass. I think CO is too cold for us to retire at. Thanks for the heads up on places I can look for as far as buying. Any inside tracks on long-term leasing of single family dwelling? Thanks much.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
Cathy 4017,
I know what you're talking about as far as not wanting to build! Same here. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. I don't want a fix-it dwelling either. I haven't done that; I do want to have to do it. Those are for the young and energetic; not me.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I also don't want to be covered up with trees and not be able to see out--it just bugs me, LOL!! I enjoy a number of trees, but not the smothering cover I've seen on many properties.
There's all sorts of properties in the Capitan-Nogal-Carrizozo-Lincoln areas that fit your description! I don't think you're as familiar with the area as you should be.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
There's all sorts of properties in the Capitan-Nogal-Carrizozo-Lincoln areas that fit your description! I don't think you're as familiar with the area as you should be.

Those are all 20 or more miles from indoor swimming, Jax.......

You're also looking at wells and septic systems in many of those areas, along with dirt/gravel roads that can turn to mud during the monsoon season.

But thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Cathy 4017,
I know what you're talking about as far as not wanting to build! Same here. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. I don't want a fix-it dwelling either. I haven't done that; I do want to have to do it. Those are for the young and energetic; not me.
LOL, exactly! I have dealt with 2 actual builders and 2 potential builders so far, and I don't really want to add another one to the list if I can help it. But it may very well come to that at some point.

It's just such a PITA--and it's an even WORSE PITA to do it yourself, of which I am simply not capable.

I'm lazy, too!!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
I just have to say; "Houses in the 200k and up range in the Ruidoso area are a dime a dozen!"

Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Any inside tracks on long-term leasing of single family dwelling? Thanks much.
Best place to look:
Ziahousing.com: Search Ruidoso, New Mexico apartments, houses and condos for rent or lease.

Regarding locations, Alto is really attached to the north end of Ruidoso, while Capitan is a separate small town ~12 miles north of Alto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico