Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,654,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margief60 View Post
I currently live in New York State with all the lakes and green.

I am considering Las Cruces.
Margie....that is a heckofa difference between New York state and Las Cruces so really only you can answer your own question by coming out for a visit then you'll know whether its right or not.

Couple of notes:

You do have large mountain ranges (Mogollon's and Sacramento's) close by with Lakes and Pine Trees for 100's of square miles. Something about the desert that i like is you can atleast CREATE your own Oasis by having trees, plants and gardens etc...at your house that really stick out in the desert where as when i lived in Florida everything is super green and humid and moss growing everywhere etc...so even if you plant gardens, trees etc...it all looks the same which was kinda boring to me buts thats just my take....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,294,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Red River, Chama and Angel Fire stay pretty nice and cool all summer but boy is it cold in the winter!

I was up in Angel Fire this past wensday and had to break out a jacket. The wind had a pretty nasty bite and it's already June.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 54,519 times
Default NM move

Margie, I moved to Taos back in 1990 , not knowing a single person . I drove through NM and immediately fell in love , starting with Gallup . I knew instantly that there was something different with this state .It has a raw beauty that is hard to find ANYWHERE .As far as heat goes , coming from NJ the heat in ABQ averages mid 90 's in the dead of summer . It is also our rainey season so there is always the possibility of a rain storm that will come in the afternoon to cool things down , sometimes also hail . I live in ABQ and do not miss Taos at all . It is much easier to live in ABQ for me . I also enjoy a bit larger population than Taos . Coming here at this time is good as we are experiencing a resurgence of the city and plans for a better future . The only thing you need to know is what you are looking for . NM is diverse and there are many areas that offer other options , within our city or our state . I for one do not miss the green of back home , but I like the open space of seeing dramatic views for many miles . Mountains and valleys that are unpopulated and feel as though they go on for eternity . The ocean is our sky , forever changing .I always love to drive in NM and explore the land , and even though I have been here for 17 years it still seems just like yesterday .Sometimes the land can make you think of a time forgotten , especially the old tiny towns of the mountains and desert . You may have culture shock , or it may also open your eyes to a new way of seeing . Hope this helps you .

Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 31,177 times
Smile Responses

Thank you all for all of the wonderful responses.

If my husband hasn't found a job by mid July we will be heading out your way.

All of your posts have helped tremendously. I so appreciate it. If you guys are indicative of the friendliness of NM, we know we've picked the right spot.

Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 28,563 times
I am from NM and have known a number of people from or who have lived in NYS. I have never been there, so while I cannot speak from direct experience, I can say a couple of general things they or I have noticed:
--Not to be pushy, but you'll have to watch the pushiness. This is not to say that some New Mexicans are not agressive; it's just that people here do not tend to be as blunt/up-front. In many circles it would be considered rude to speak directly or "get to the point" right away.
--You may get light-headed. The air here is thinner. Since I grew up in Albuquerque and visit Santa Fe a lot, I have never really noticed it, until leaving NM for several months (like most others, I re-adjusted quite swiftly).
--Be forewarned if you have agoraphobia or a propensity to develop it. Depending upon where you are, sometimes you can turn nearly 360 degrees and see nothing but land and blue sky.
--You may get allergies in the spring and fall.
--You'll have to develop patience; it doesn't take a foreigner to know that this place is laid-back. It's sometimes mocked as "The Land of Manaña."
--Make sure you have adequate sunscreen and sunglasses. A sunny day here is much more intense than it is in more northern latitudes.
--Domino is right. Temperature and weather here are largely dependent upon altitude. It is not abnormal to see snow in May in the mountains, for instance.

A lot of the towns around NM are charming, but I would probably never be able to live long-term in any of them. Albuquerque is adequately sized and has a lot of ammenities and jobs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico