Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:02 AM
JnR JnR started this thread

1,709 posts, read 850,968 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Had a chance to visit your beautiful state during the month of May. We stayed mostly in Southern NM as it was still cold in the Northern parts, although we did get up to Ojo Caliente and had a wonderful time. Anyway, we were curious to know if there were any lakes in NM where you could own lakefront property and maybe have your own boat dock. I have tried researching this on the internet and I can't seem to find any lakes that allow for this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
I recently saw some land listed as lakefront property where boating is allowed. This was in southeastern NM and is an extension of the Pecos River. I wished I had paid more attention. I saw a picture and it is clearly high desert flat land but I could never figure where it was. I have been to most places in NM and never saw it and never thought the Pecos could provide that much water. It might be some type of large reservoir which is what Elephant Butte Lake at Truth or Consequences is. You can get lakefront property still there as well as some site built homes. I don't know if they are that close to the edge and I don't think the dock is possible because this is water for drinking and irrigation and is very dependent on our weather. There is also a lake area up around Santa Rosa (east of Albuquerque along I 40. These are areas starting to get scooped up because they are near water. Go on line to the El Paso Times and look under land in the classifieds. You will see ads run for at least the Elephant Butte area and that lake in SE NM is also run now and then. Hope this helps at bit.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think there is an association on Cochiti Lake betwen Albuquerque ans Santa Fe. Search this board for more info.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info, I will look into both of those. We spent some time at Elephant Butte and Conchas Dam, my husband is an avid sailor so we took along our little sailboat atop our RV. The wind blows like crazy at Elephant Butte! He was happy and I was getting sandblasted on shore. LOL Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 PM

71 posts, read 319,495 times
In Carlsbad, there is the pecos river which is dammed so there is good depth to the river and it is actually beautiful all year around. There are riverfront houses which back right on to the river and almost all of them have their own boating docks. The area that can be utilized by a boat is probably about 1 mile long. However, these houses are quite expensive given their association with the river.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Here is a link to some stuff going on at ute lake:
Ute Lake Ranch

Here is a link for Ft. Sumner river ranches: http://www.newmexicolandandranches.net/riverranches.cfm

good luck with your search.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
Hi All,

Had a chance to visit your beautiful state during the month of May. We stayed mostly in Southern NM as it was still cold in the Northern parts, although we did get up to Ojo Caliente and had a wonderful time. Anyway, we were curious to know if there were any lakes in NM where you could own lakefront property and maybe have your own boat dock. I have tried researching this on the internet and I can't seem to find any lakes that allow for this. Thanks!
You might look at Navajo Lake which has the NM side and the Colorado side. There is a link to a website for more info, just google the words Navajo Lake in Colorado property and the website will give you more info.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Elephant Butte has cabins that have beach when the waters up. Lately they've had to hike a good ways to get it though. The droughts are cyclical so it'll fill up again. Kind of a hit or miss proposition.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not to be factious but first you have to find a lake. NM is not known for its extensive lakes. Why would you want a lake in a desert anyway? If you want lakes try Minnesota

Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not to be factious but first you have to find a lake. NM is not known for its extensive lakes. Why would you want a lake in a desert anyway? If you want lakes try Minnesota
Brrrrr! Too much snow for me. I am not too fond of snow or mosquitos, thanks very much. I have heard that the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota. Just kidding. We are looking around at different states, but I must admit to being totally spoiled by California weather all my life. And the weather seemed to be temperate in NM and close enough to CA to zip back if I get homesick.

Thanks to all for your great suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico