Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM

406 posts, read 625,438 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why people commute 2 hours a day (total) to the Northshore? Is it really that much better over their? You are giving up 10 hours every week and 200+ bucks in extra gas money. Not to mention that driving is one of the most dangerous things you can do during the day. Does it really add up??? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 AM

30 posts, read 80,537 times
Perhaps it make sense for those with 2-3 kids.. Otherwise, I was also curious about this phenomenon...
Plus theres always reports of some problems on causeway/ Veterans

Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Well I work with a good many people from the North shore(I live on the west bank), many people live there to be around family. They were born and have many friends there and a strong network. Then again many of my friends moved there after Katrina, guess it had somethan to do with 15 feet of water in there house. Can't really blame anyone moving north of interstate 12, in fact many of them wonder why we would live in a flood plain.

Dollar wise with my flood insurance maxed out, money wise I'd be more than O.K., but it's nuthen I would look forward to.

Anyone that doesn't understand just how vulnerable the New Orleans area is in a Hurricane is naive.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I commuted the opposite way, Metairie to Covington, when I got transferred and didn't want to leave my house of 30 yrs. Anyone working for a bank or insurance company is liable to be transferred and many can't afford to move - or don't want to!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM

406 posts, read 625,438 times
@waitintundra - I wonder why people live out there because there is nothing to do. People constantly drive to the city to enjoy themselves. Why not enjoy where you live at? Work, live and eat in the same area. That's what I love about New Orleans.

@SouthernBelleInUtah - I think a commute against the traffic is feasible. I never tried to go towards Covington during rush hour. What's the average time back or forth?

I'm just curious about the people who are stuck in their car for hours @ a time. Do they ever think about moving closer to their jobs.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
I don't want to over-generalize at all because I know all types of really good people on the Northshore, but there is a definite legion of commuters who are too terrified and xenophobic to ever live (again) on the Southshore. They love the Saints, eat New Orleans food, they have a Yat accent, but decades or years or months ago they simply decided that the last murder that had absolutely no effect on them and didn't happen in their neighborhood was too much for them to stay. This was a long trend for a while, but now it seems like professionals are becoming more attracted to the city and repopulating tougher areas. Before anyone gets offended understand that's only one angle on the bigger picture. Some people just want a slower life closer to the country and are willing to drive long distances but keep their career downtown. Mandeville is pricey but some people are willing to drive from St. Bernard, Kenner, LaPlace, Slidell, St. Charles Parish, etc. because it's cheaper. I couldn't do it. If I ever move across the lake its because I got a job there, otherwise it's work in the city and live there.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
[quote=Abraham Walker;16005661]@waitintundra - I wonder why people live out there because there is nothing to do. People constantly drive to the city to enjoy themselves. Why not enjoy where you live at? Work, live and eat in the same area. That's what I love about New Orleans.

I'm no northshorer by a long shot, tho I work with penty and call them my friends, my northshore friends have practicaly nothing to do with New Orleans except to work, same with a lot of my west bank lafitian friends. Some I know are true party animals, it revolves around the bayou's and rivers that run off lake ponchatrain and malipal(spellin I know) there are camps, bars , restaurants and all kinda parties on the weekends. Most all have boats and 4wheelers.

Check out the Prop Stop one weekend if you don't believe me. Thank French Quarter on the bayou.

Don't ever believe only New Orleans has a social life, this is Louisiana and we party from one shore and bayou to the next, just New Orleans is just the grand daddy of partrying.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM

The NorthShore folks I worked with rarely came to Metairie or N.O. They would go to the Slidell malls if they needed a mall.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
They would go to the Slidell malls if they needed a mall.
Nobody NEEDS a Mall .

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Nobody NEEDS a Mall .
You are not the right gender to understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans