Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
So no Italians are racist then? Creoles couldn't possibly have any animosity for people lighter or darker than them? You have some very interesting views and generalizations about New Orleans that I can't say I agree with at all. But what do I know, I've only lived here 25 years. How's Texas?
Yeah, for some who doesn't live here, visits apparently infrequently, the OP has a lot of opinions about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 10:50 PM

233 posts, read 344,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yeah, for some who doesn't live here, visits apparently infrequently, the OP has a lot of opinions about the city.
What are your thoughts on the issue?

Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,135 times
I grew up in New Orleans, and later lived in Houston for 30 yrs. Not until I moved to Houston did I see minorities truly in the middle class with real upward mobility. Then, in NOLA it didn't exist. Sure TX has racism. but offers opportunities. Louisiana outlook does not favor paying taxes to approve the public good

Old 06-08-2021, 04:13 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Seems like no matter where you go, no matter how integrated a city, a school or a neighborhood is, most people seem to naturally self segregate and be with their "own kind" in their private lives. I don't think it's as much racism as it is people wanting to be among those who are most like they are.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:19 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yep, there are some blacks in NOLA that are so racist that they absolutely hate non-black people,...but I'm positive this isn't the type of racism you're talking about.
No they are talking about racism with authority & power backing it up.......

What have black racism ever done to Caucasians???

Old 06-08-2021, 01:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Sicilians and Creoles, of all cities how could racism ever exist
Louisiana Creoles are racially white French....Spanish...Portuguese...Black....Africans .

Old 06-10-2021, 09:51 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
As someone that grew up in New Orleans area, sure the vestiges of slavery and Jim Crow have negatively impacted really the entire south. But I think the economic growth of Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston have more to do with a better business community and the existence of top universities to draw from. Louisiana also had a reputation of corruption which prevented large scale investment and that may end up the biggest factor holding back Louisiana.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Seems like no matter where you go, no matter how integrated a city, a school or a neighborhood is, most people seem to naturally self segregate and be with their "own kind" in their private lives. I don't think it's as much racism as it is people wanting to be among those who are most like they are.
That isn't racism in any shape or form and is off base.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Among nearly 40 city jurisdictions in nation of more than 100k black residents, the average dissimilar index since 1940 in New Orleans (78.7) is the 4th lowest, and the very lowest of those in the South. In other words, on average, New Orleans has been the 4th least segregated of such cities in the nation, and the least segregated of such cities in the South.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo ralent View Post
I grew up in New Orleans, and later lived in Houston for 30 yrs. Not until I moved to Houston did I see minorities truly in the middle class with real upward mobility. Then, in NOLA it didn't exist. Sure TX has racism. but offers opportunities. Louisiana outlook does not favor paying taxes to approve the public good
A few years ago I explored St. Tammany parish while on a road trip to Florida. (I had to have a Café du Monde beignet and coffee without going into the city while passing through both times.)

The storied Northshore is much smaller and less developed than any Houston suburb. Mandeville looked upper middle class, but was very dated. Covington was more rural than the town of Katy, even a couple decades ago.

The only advantage LA has is the Eastern power grid that everyone took note during the February winter storm. Hopefully Houston gets out of ERCOT's grip soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans