Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times

Advertisements

After scoping out the New Orleans area for the first time this past weekend (I drove around the city and other areas around it, such as Slidell, Hammond, and Kenner) I decided that a full-blown weekend trip there would be in order.

I' am a big outdoorsy type of guy and I really liked the natural scenery in and aorund the city (i.e. Lake Ponchartrain, the natural swamps / bayous and the gulf coastline).

As for the city itself, I would, of course, like to see the French Quarter but would also like suggestions on other parts of Downtown or anywhere else in the city in terms of historical places, live entertainment, and great food. New Orleans has always been a place that I have wanted to visit, so I really want to enjoy the city to the fullest. I liked how the city seemed to be full of life, even at 2:00 a.m. (which is when I drove through the city proper; everywhere else was earlier). I' am coming to the Big Easy a few weekends from now and can't wait!

Thanks to anyone who provides suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Jean lafitte NAt'l Park is across the river. There are ranger-led tours through the swamps on raised walkways. You can go by yourslef but the ranger will point out things you might miss - like a sneaky alligator or a turtle blending in with the vegetation.

Ride the streetcar up to Audubon Park, walk through it and then take the riverboat back down to Canal St. (or the reverse direction). Sit on the porch of The Columns and have a cocktail (on St. Charles, on streetcar route).

Take a riverboat down to the Chalmette Battlefield, tour the site and the antebellum house, then take the boat back to Canal St.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,291,008 times
Consider seeing the World War II Museum. It is excellent. Take in some music at Preservation Hall. Ride the St Charles Trolley through the Garden District. Get out and walk some if the weather is nice. Walk around the Tulane campus, it is usually pretty in the spring. Walk along the river and watch the ships come in and out. Visit the French Market.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Jean lafitte NAt'l Park is across the river. There are ranger-led tours through the swamps on raised walkways. You can go by yourslef but the ranger will point out things you might miss - like a sneaky alligator or a turtle blending in with the vegetation.

Ride the streetcar up to Audubon Park, walk through it and then take the riverboat back down to Canal St. (or the reverse direction). Sit on the porch of The Columns and have a cocktail (on St. Charles, on streetcar route).

Take a riverboat down to the Chalmette Battlefield, tour the site and the antebellum house, then take the boat back to Canal St.
Yeah, the swamp tours are a definite must! Also, I will most definitely ride the streetcars while I' am there and if the boat rides are reasonbly priced, I will do a couple of them as well.

As for historic sites, and buidlings, I know of the few that obvioulsy everyone knows about (i.e. the French Quarter and the very old Above Ground Cemeteries), but I know that there are more historic sites in the city than that, so suggestions from anyone on any of them would greatly be appreciated! History is something that is one of my top interest and I always like to visit historical districts or sites in any city.

Last but not least, I gotta experience some of the local cuisine. I would like to try out at least three different restaurants while in New Orleans, so suggestions on them will be appreciated and considered as well. From what I have seen, there is so many of them that I don't even know where to begin! lol. I have had cajun and creole style food before, but it wasn't really what you would call REAL New Orleans style cajun/creole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans