Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:44 PM

151 posts, read 206,003 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all.
So my plan is to move to the NOLA area in the next 3-4 years. I currently live in Central New York. 22 years old and and working full time and starting school back up for my RN degree. I have family that live in Lousiana (St Bernard Parish area and Mandeville) which is mostly my reason for moving. I visit Louisiana at least once a year to see everyone and visit the city. I have been there pre and post Katrina so I know what has happened and what it's like.
I plan to finish college up here and work for a little bit. But my main goal is to move south once I'm set.
I am orginally from the south (lived in Texas for about 2 years when I was born). I've always considered myself a southerner. And I've always been in love with Louisiana.
Just a couple questions:
I do plan on buying a house when I move. I have been looking into housing on NOLA.com and have found a few in St Bernard Parish (Chalmette & Meraux). I know a lot of people look down on the area. Mind telling me why exactly?
Also, what are taxes like in Louisiana? I.E. Cost of living and whatnot.
I plan to work in a healthcare setting seeing as how I'll be getting my RN Degree.

Any input would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
St. Bernard Parish is the butt of many jokes for many different reasons. Firstly many people there speak with the thickest "Yat" accents of any part of the city, and while this dialect makes New Orleans what it is, it also is often identified with a lack of education and little cooth. Is that shallow to judge people like that? Sure it is, but there are enough trashy embarrassing folks who talk like that to keep the stereotype alive. David Duke carried St. Bernard in his bid for governor back in the early 90's, that isn't helping people's perceptions.

I would tell you not to live in "da parish" not because of the population, and by the way I have many friends there who are awesome people. It's more the fact that there are so many chemical plants and refineries emitting noxious fumes, or the fact that it's dangerously below sea level and will probably once again be in very serious trouble if another storm comes its way. If you have a special attachment to St. Bernard then go for it..but it's not the place to move to when looking for a NEW ORLEANS experience.. it would be like moving to a drab chemical plant town in New Jersey and you wanted to live in Manhattan. That's my two cents.. I tried to be fair, I think St. Bernard can be a charming place but that's why its "rep" is such.

It's pretty affordable to live here (minus this insane housing bubble that Uptown New Orleans is enduring..)- the price of gas, real estate and taxes in general for the area are lower than the national average. New Orleans has a 9% sales tax which seems to make Florida people throw a fit because they never pay taxes on food..too bad go back to FLA then! Haha sorry, my random rant..anyway good luck to you and I hope you make it down to the area!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply!
I'm definitely familiar with the accent. Even within my own family I can tell the difference.
As far as getting the "New Orleans Experience" yes I would love that. But it's not my major goal. I'm more looking to be close to family. I mean I would not mind living outside to the parish just not far because I would like to be closer to them.

As far as your little rant (haha) I am use to the higher tax %. It's 8.75 here! And gas isn't any better at $3.29 right now.

Any areas you recommend that are close to the parish?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
You wouldn't be very far if you lived in the Faubourg Maringy.. and it's just steps from the French Quarter.. I can't stress Uptown New Orleans enough though. Check it all out and make your decision accordingly. Were here to help if you have anything else. Good luck

Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
If you need to get to St. Bernard frequently, the Marigny and Bywater area would be the closest, only ~2-3mi to the parish line. However, there is a definate bohemian vibe to the area that may or may not be your thing. Mid City is also reasonably close (~5-6mi) and cheaper than Uptown. St. Bernard is suburban, conservative, SE louisiana blue collar while Mid City is urban, semi-liberal, New Orleans blue collar. I would recommend Mid City or the Bywater if you want true New Orleans vibe at a reasonable price while still close to your family in St. Bernard.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 AM

406 posts, read 624,951 times
Default Great way to sum up the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Bywater area would be the closest, only ~2-3mi to the parish line. However, there is a definate bohemian vibe to the area that may or may not be your thing.
I am no longer lost for words when trying to describe this area. "Bohemian".

Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Okay y'all I'm back with another question.
I was just down for another visit in May. And now I've been actively trying to find a job. Preferrably in a medical facility (but it's not necessary). Any ideas? Anyone know of anywhere hiring? I am a Medical Assistant (non-certified) but have been working for 2 years in the medical field. I've applied to about 9 or 10 positions but it is hard finding a job while you live out of state.
Any suggestions would be great!
On the plus side, I already have a place to live! So I'm one step closer to moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans