Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 11,938 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a single woman with several dogs, recently retired, grown kids. I'm considering moving to New Orleans from the San Francisco Bay Area in California. My reasons are: it looks like my pension may be exempt from tax in Louisiana (or that could be Louisiana pensions only, need to do more research); I've heard New Orleans described as a very friendly city; housing costs are lower than there are here; good medical care is available, and I love the more laid back culture.

I visited only once in 1990 right after Mardi Gras for a couple of weeks. It was beautiful. I know that I should visit in the summer, when it's the hottest and most humid. I plan to rent first to see where I want to live, then buy if I make the decision to go.

Questions:

• Are there any areas of NO that don't flood? Please be kind to me if this is a total newbie question
  • Obviously, crime is a concern in any big city, so I'd welcome suggestions of places to live that might be safer than others.
  • How is traffic congestion? I live in one of the worst traffic areas in the country now, and would hope to be able to escape that.
  • Is NO a senior-friendly place to live, in your opinion?
I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Sherri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smillick View Post
[*]Are there any areas of NO that don't flood? Please be kind to me if this is a total newbie question
While half of the city is actually ABOVE sea level, street flooding from heavy rains can be an issue regardless of elevation. There are very low areas that drain extremely well and some high areas where water will pile up in any decent rainstorm. Street flooding from big rainstorms doesn't happen more than once or twice a year, but can be an issue if you have a car that you park on the street.

If there is a neighborhood that you have your eye on, let us know a specific block and we can let you know if its flood prone.

Quote:
[*]Obviously, crime is a concern in any big city, so I'd welcome suggestions of places to live that might be safer than others.
There are a number of safe areas. It all depends on what kind of neighborhood you're looking for. How much do you want to spend on housing? Do you want to be in walking/biking distance of _____? Do you need to drive everywhere? What kind of neighborhood vibe do you want? Do you want to be close to good transit? Do you need a big yard, small yard or would you rather a condo/apartment?

Quote:
[*]How is traffic congestion? I live in one of the worst traffic areas in the country now, and would hope to be able to escape that.
Traffic in the city is nothing like you'll find in the Bay Area or any other big city. Everything here is close by and the only real traffic issues are on the expressways at rush hour. As long as you stay in the city, you have plenty of roads to choose from and won't have to deal with the commuter rush from the suburbs.

Quote:
[*]Is NO a senior-friendly place to live, in your opinion?
I'm not quite a senior yet, but there are some "younger/hipster" areas, some older "i'm retired/childless but still hip" and more family oriented areas within the city if that's what you mean.

I would mention here that you should have an evacuation plan for hurricane season. Weather it be a personal vehicle or a ride out with a friend, you should plan ahead of time. Evacuations are rare, but it's something to keep in mind.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the quick and complete reply, rburnett!

When it comes to figuring out where flooding would most likely happen, I think what I need to do is look at a flood map. I haven't narrowed down my search to a specific neighborhood or block yet; there are a lot of factors that will eventually drive my decision.

I can spend up to about 500K on housing eventually and would like at least 1,500 square feet but not much bigger than 2000 square feet (too much to clean). House, condo, townhouse, I'm open. I'd love a porch or a balcony where I can sit and drink coffee and watch my neighborhood go by. I have that now and it's a great way to meet my neighbors (I like a friendly neighborhood). My yard could be either big or small; my dogs live in the house and get walked a lot, so other than sunning themselves, a yard isn't a requirement. An eclectic vibe where families, singles, old and young, different cultures live together, a garage to park my car if possible, streets safe enough to bicycle and walk my dogs, and within an easy drive to food markets and medical care...

And thanks for the evacuation plan mention. It's not something I would think of, not having dealt with hurricanes.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what 500k can get you, compared to California.

For instance, this:
7518 Hampson St New Orleans LA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #945604 - Realtor.com®

is in a great neighborhood that didn't flood, and is 1 block from the St. Charles streetcar and just a few blocks from Tulane University.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I would say Garden District, Uptown or The French Quarter are the areas you should look in. You're already aware of the negatives of high humidity and crime problems. Some people can withstand the humidity with ease while others just can't hack it...suggest you stay for a period of time in the summer to test how you deal with it. Crime is a serious problem in New Orleans but like in all cities, you can avoid most of it by taking prudent steps in where you go and when you go there.

My niece lives in Uptown near Tulane in a house my brother restored for her and there's a lot of refurbished houses with that old world character that are beautiful in that area.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanks to all who have responded! I've done more research and have narrowed my choices down to a few neighborhoods, both based on my research and your comments (thanks again). My next step is to arrange to spend several weeks in New Orleans (this summer, hopefully) during the hot period to see how I handle the humidity. I'm also considering Santa Fe, NM as a possible option.

I love the San Francisco Bay Area liberal atmosphere, diversity, excellent medical care and climate but it is killer expensive to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans