Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,614 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Nola in June for a job at 69k. Graduating in may. Job will be in Metarie

Not sure whether to live in Metarie or new orleans. Probably definetly want to get an apartment for just starting out. Any suggestions? Also factor in the commute in the mornings.

Also, anyone know any good basketball gyms? Thinking UNO rec center? Anyone used that one before?

Last, i am currently on AT&T in alexandria and it is pretty decent. When I move down I am going to get a new contract. Who is the best in the area for data and no dropped calls?

Thank u

Last edited by jsk020; 02-20-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
At 22, single, making that kind of money, you're going to want to be in New Orleans. There is a decent singles scene and a lot more transplants than the suburbs. You'll be doing a reverse commute to get to work, so it won't be bad at all. You WILL be hanging out in the city a lot, so you might as well live there.

Metairie is a lot of families and the younger people out there probably went to elementary school together, so IMO it's not really the best area for a transplant in your situation.

See:advice for a single 20 something moving to NO

Have you ever been to New Orleans? What kind of housing are you looking for? Apartment complex? Multi Family/Duplex? How important is walkability? Are you yuppie, conservative, bohemian, urban, hunting/fishing type etc.? Do you want decent transit access? What is your budget?

I'm with Verizon at the moment, and am quite pleased.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,614 times
Well, I adjust to people I'm around. I can hang out with multiple types of personalities. Not into hunting/fishing stuff for sure though. I like sports alot and music. Definetly looking for a nice apartment. Probably around the 950-1100 dollar range.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 PM

282 posts, read 438,488 times
Look At areas closer to Causeway and west esplanade. Close to Lakeside mall, fat city (which has bars, clubs), and you are pretty close to west end area which is big on recreation. If you are looking into balling at UNO, that is about 15 mins east of there. I think there are some pretty good apts. around there. Just stay north of west esplanade, and east of causeway. The apts in Fat City are kind of shady.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
Look At areas closer to Causeway and west esplanade. Close to Lakeside mall, fat city (which has bars, clubs), and you are pretty close to west end area which is big on recreation. If you are looking into balling at UNO, that is about 15 mins east of there. I think there are some pretty good apts. around there. Just stay north of west esplanade, and east of causeway. The apts in Fat City are kind of shady.
Nah, no reason to live in Metairie. Not at 22. I'm 29 and the thought of moving to Metairie crosses my mind once in a blue moon, but I make sure to shoo it away. The place is the pits. Boring, outdated suburbia, right next to a great city.

Live in the city. You can get a really good apartment in your price range.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 AM

But the OP is only 15-20 mins from all of that. And its def not boring around that area.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM

310 posts, read 854,905 times
The suburbs really aren't transplant friendly, believe me, I'm living that statement. Fat City might have been fun 20 years ago, but today it's run down. The few bars that remain open are slums. When's the last time you were in Fat City? It's super boring. They're trying to revitalize the area, but, at 22, the OP is definitely better off in the city.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times
I feel like a young transplant wouldnt meet anyone living in metairie. There are many young people there but they are all townies who never left and generaly don't like new people.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM

310 posts, read 854,905 times
Yes, rcp, thank you! New Orleans proper is very friendly to new people. Out in the suburbs, if you didn't go to high school with everyone, you're treated like an outsider. I've had nights where I'm having a blast with people then the subject of where I went to high school comes up. When I say I'm not from the area, everyone mysteriously disappears or I'm suddenly left out of the party. I don't have this problem when I go into the city to party. The suburbs are like a different continent sometimes.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Well, OP, since you have that cushion in your budget with that salary I would go with what the majority says and live in the city. You probably could get something really nice either uptown, or maybe along the lakefront. But at your age, it really depends how much you want to party or have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans