Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 50,998 times

Advertisements

My husband may be accepting a job in Belle Chasse tomorrow. I was looking at Meraux as a possible place to move but was concerned about flooding. Seems that I read somewhere that the area flooded a lot. We found some houses for sale and the market prices were a lot different than other areas. We don't want to move somewhere only to have to move again bc of frequent flooding.

If Meraux is not an option then we plan to look at Slidell or Mandeville.

Is there a good area of Slidell or a place to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
I don't know much about Slidell, but that is probably an hour's commute. Having a big river in the middle of the city can wreak havoc with traffic patterns. I know or have known several people that lived in Belle Chasse, have you considered living there? They have many nice houses in the area that shouldn't be too pricey.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM

As far as Meraux, it is in St. Bernard Parish, where 100% of the properties were damaged in Katrina. It would still be quite a commute unless you can catch the ferry (from Chalmette to Algiers) at the right time. But I would still suggest you look in the area around Belle Chasse itself.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
As with anything, you get what you pay for. Meraux recieved a lot of storm surge due to it's vulnerable location. If you look on a map, the open water of the Gulf is not too far away. It would definetely not be high on my list if I was concerned about hurricanes. Even if you were okay with living there, the commute would require you to depend on the ferrys to cross the river or make a long drive through downtown New Orleans to get to the bridge. The traffic on the bridge in either direction can be a nightmare. Funding for the ferrys is in a precarious place right now with the bridge tolls ending and there's no guarantee that they will be operating in the same capacity next year.

Why not Bell Chasse? It's suburban/semi-rural if that's what you're looking for. A lot of it is along the river which is above sea level. At the very least there are nice Westbank neighborhoods that are much less suceptible to flooding from hurricanes than Meraux. The commute would be MUCH quicker and easier. Algiers Point is a historic neighborhood thats 10+ft above sea level and is much more urban and walkable. New Algiers/Aurora Gardens are also nice. It's more suburban than the Point, but not as rural as Belle Chasse. Look at the area along General Meyer close to the river, its also well above sea level. Old Gretna and McDonoghville are above sea level as well. They are similar to Algiers Point, but should be cheaper. Look at the area between the Expressway and the river from the bridge up to the Harvey Canal.

Slidell and Mandeville should be scratched off the list. A 1 hour commute is VERY optimistic.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Listen to them. Belle Chasse would be a good fit

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM

327 posts, read 603,458 times
Also look at Harvey, Gretna, or Marerro. There's some good neighborhoods there as well. Mandeville would be over an hour commute.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM

19 posts, read 50,998 times
This is the info I needed! I tried looking around Belle Chasse online but couldn't find any rentals for non military.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Belle Chasse or Algiers would be good.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Belle Chasse or Algiers would be good.
Um, no.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferThomas View Post
Um, no.
Why not? They are both safer, and cheaper, than the East Bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans