Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM

274 posts, read 297,755 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I will be relocating to New Orleans for work later this year. I've visited a couple times, and I love the place!! I feel a little lost trying to find an appropriate neighborhoods to live though.

I'm 27-year old guy, single, and I love the bar scene. I would want to be within walking distance of a few bars, restaurants, coffee shops. The most I'm willing to spend on rent is $1,200, all utilities and other fees included. Preferably less than that though. It doesn't have to be a super safe neighborhood, but I want to be able to sleep comfortably at night without any reasonable fear that my place will get broken into.. I see some listings for under a thousand for 1 bed/bath. Is that reasonable?

I'll be working in one of the downtown office buildings. I currently take transit to and from work and only use my car for shopping and weekend travel. Is that a possibility in NOLA?

I'll be moving from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
You could live downtown if you're willing to pay that and some parking fees.

Uptown nearest St. Charles and Magazine streets which would give you everything you're looking for in your budget and using the St. Charles streetcar to get to work. Carrolton Ave is a good corridor too.
Mid-City offers a similar lifestyle but a little less posh, advantage is the Canal St streetcar is faster and it is more affordable living there.
The Marigny and Bywater are also good choices, pretty close to the CBD and the new streetcar line will be running along St. Claude to N Rampart and then Loyola. It will be complete late summer/fall if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You could live downtown if you're willing to pay that and some parking fees.

Uptown nearest St. Charles and Magazine streets which would give you everything you're looking for in your budget and using the St. Charles streetcar to get to work. Carrolton Ave is a good corridor too.
Mid-City offers a similar lifestyle but a little less posh, advantage is the Canal St streetcar is faster and it is more affordable living there.
The Marigny and Bywater are also good choices, pretty close to the CBD and the new streetcar line will be running along St. Claude to N Rampart and then Loyola. It will be complete late summer/fall if I'm not mistaken.
I agree with most of what you said except that the St. Claude portion of the line is still just proposed, nothing is official yet. The line under construction only runs from Canal to Howard.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I agree with most of what you said except that the St. Claude portion of the line is still just proposed, nothing is official yet. The line under construction only runs from Canal to Howard.
I thought it was at least going along Rampart. That's pretty shabby, I know they want it complete for the Superbowl but it would have been well worth it.
It'll get done, the Elysian Fields line will be the most gut wrenching.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I thought it was at least going along Rampart. That's pretty shabby, I know they want it complete for the Superbowl but it would have been well worth it.
It'll get done, the Elysian Fields line will be the most gut wrenching.
All depends on federal funding.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,840 times
Have you since relocated? I'm a young woman looking to relocate to New Orleans but concerned with the safety and truly trying to find the safest area to live in and don't know where to begin! Any advice?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times
If you live uptown near magazine, the magazine bus line is also pretty frequent and a quick ride to the CBD. Downtown neighborhoods (marigny/bywater) also have quick bus service on the St. Claude line (although it's a lot more grungy street). As said above, mid-city has the frequent and fast canal streetcar. Another good area is the faubourg st. john (with 2 small groceries, a coffee shop and a couple of restaurants and bars in a beautiful area). This area has both the streetcar and the Jackson-Esplanade line which runs from the faubourg st john through the french quarter/cbd then to magazine street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans