Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM

279 posts, read 589,633 times

Advertisements

Is NOLA a party city all year round? Or are images of Mardi Gras only more likely during Mardi Gras? In taking two young children to NOLA, I don't want to worry simply walking down the street that they're going to be flashed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
This is a non issue. Unless you're hanging out on a small stretch of Bourbon St late late at night durng Mardi Gras, it is highly unlikely that you will see any nudity. Even during the day, though, its still a more "adult" zone. There are quite a few strip clubs with "tantalizing" ads. If that bothers you, it is easily avoided. There is much more to the French Quarter and the city as a whole than the first few blocks of Bourbon St.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM

279 posts, read 589,633 times
Good to know, thanks! We're not sure if we are bringing the kids or not yet (waiting to see how childcare will pan out), but I wanted to make sure it was avoidable before I went looking at hotels in certain areas.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM

415 posts, read 801,880 times
Most of Mardi Gras is actually very kid-friendly. Most of the parades even have school groups in them!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
Good to know, thanks! We're not sure if we are bringing the kids or not yet (waiting to see how childcare will pan out), but I wanted to make sure it was avoidable before I went looking at hotels in certain areas.
Kids do not belong on Bourbon ST at night. Other than that NOLA has lots of places to take the kids..Audubon Zoo is great, one of my favorite zoos...I believe the aquarium is open again as well..take them on a free ferry ride across the river to Algiers...

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times
I think, while New Orleans is a party city, it is also GREATLY exaggerated! When you think of New Orleans, the thought is Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street. There is SO MUCH more to the city than that shallow part. Don't worry at all. New Orleans' party city reputation, while definitely true, is nothing to worry about.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
This is a non issue. Unless you're hanging out on a small stretch of Bourbon St late late at night durng Mardi Gras, it is highly unlikely that you will see any nudity. Even during the day, though, its still a more "adult" zone. There are quite a few strip clubs with "tantalizing" ads. If that bothers you, it is easily avoided. There is much more to the French Quarter and the city as a whole than the first few blocks of Bourbon St.

I must interject that my husband and I were on Royal Street at 8 am on Sunday morning 2 weeks ago and witnesses a man and woman having sex against a wall. Her skirt was up, his pants were down and believe me we saw everything!

You simply need to be aware of what is going on and redirect your children's attention if necessary.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I must interject that my husband and I were on Royal Street at 8 am on Sunday morning 2 weeks ago and witnesses a man and woman having sex against a wall. Her skirt was up, his pants were down and believe me we saw everything!

You simply need to be aware of what is going on and redirect your children's attention if necessary.
Well I can tell you that was an EXTREME rarity and you were just unlucky. Any city you go to will have a little of that. It's just like any other city. It's just that. The OP should live her life and enjoy her trip and not be worried about nudity!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 AM

54 posts, read 123,067 times
I highly doubt you gonna have such issue unless like others said, you live on Borboun St. I'll be visiting here next year and I'll find out more about here.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
If you have kids with you I would say to avoid Bourbon Street entirely. Don't go there day or night if you are worried about what your children may see. There are several strip clubs that have fairly explicit photo advertisements. As for flashers and people wearing "inappropriate" clothing that is the norm during Mardi Gras, but you will sometimes see it at other times of the year as well.

Royal is a pretty nice street, but it is only one block away from Bourbon and there is a chance there will be some spillover from Bourbon. Once you get down to Chartres and Decatur you should be fine. The rest of the city is pretty much like a normal city and you should not have any worries at all. There are some great parks and attractions for kids (Audubon Park, City Park, the Zoo, the Aquarium, the Insectarium, the WWII musuem, the streetcars, the Museum of Art)

Even Mardi Gras is generally family friendly if you go to actual Mardi Gras parades in the neighborhoods and you avoid the drunken revelers in the Quarter (particularly on bourbon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans