Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times

Advertisements

Even in the white Uptown culture, transplants can't break in. Everybody knows everyone else since pre-K, has a lot of history in common, and just don't see the need to "new" friends - even at 50 y/o. A gross generalization to be sure, but much truth still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM

138 posts, read 355,173 times
Is this on a social level as well or mostly work/organizational?

One of the issues I've run into here in Hawai'i (at least the location I'm at) is the guy here for 15 years is still the newbie vs Southern California where there are a lot of relocatees so people are a little more relaxed on socializing.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
I find this thread interesting as I have spend a good deal of time in NO working on film shoots. In my industry, there is definite attitude from local talent when those of us from CA come in to do various tasks on film shoots. Sometimes people are welcoming/networking to get themselves to CA, but more often they want to dictate "how things are done here." This is not uncommon in my industry, so I didn't attribute it to local mores. But I will say that as a person of color, I enjoy going to NO vs. other adjacent locations. I do feel I am treated more equitably.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
Is this on a social level as well or mostly work/organizational?

One of the issues I've run into here in Hawai'i (at least the location I'm at) is the guy here for 15 years is still the newbie vs Southern California where there are a lot of relocatees so people are a little more relaxed on socializing.
I was in Hawaii for about a year on a project for DoD and I will say that the attitude is comparable. I doubt that if I settled here and married into a family "from" here I would be treated as a native would be. In Hawaii, I didn't experience the same kinds of blatant issues at work that I do here, but I also worked for the military at that time and things were a lot more structured.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM

501 posts, read 801,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I definitely get that at work.

I don't know "who's who" but in the last 2 yrs I have heard lots of surnames thrown about like I am supposed to know-- "That person is a (last name). You know how that goes." I confess that this is utterly foreign to me. Like I say, I work for the fed and move quite a bit. I worked for DoD for many years. I am very used to transience and change. It would seem that there are some really entrenched behaviors and relationships that almost seem like a throw back from 150 years ago. That is still pretty amazing to me.

I always say New Orleans is its own country.
That is a very true observation, on the other hand I am beginning to feel the same way about trying to break in the fed gov't in any entry level clerical position (minus military as I am beyond the accepted maximum age for active duty). I don't know what I am doing wrong with that one. So in one respect you are fortunate to have employment and the ability to transfer to greener pastures.

Last edited by scorpioqueen; 07-19-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
That is a very true observation, on the other hand I am beginning to feel the same way about trying to break in the fed gov't in any entry level clerical position (minus military as I am beyond the accepted maximum age for active duty). I don't know what I am doing wrong with that one. So in one respect you are fortunate to have employment and the ability to transfer to greener pastures.

Its very difficult right now-- probably the most difficult its been in 20 years. Everyone who has been on active duty since September 11 2001 has preference over non vets. That is a HUGE pool. For every entry to mid level position there are literally 300-500 applicants at least a third of those are vets. And most agencies are cutting positions/going under freezes due to sequestration. DoD is furloughing their civilian workforce. My advice is to put your efforts into getting a job as a contractor and try again in 3 to five years. Seriously. It sucks right now. The only place you will even get consideration is in DC. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 19,875 times
Though its nice to hear that I am not crazy, it really makes me upset that this city seems to welcome outsiders so readily as visitors but long term residents resist transplants with every fiber of their being. I have never been anywhere that I felt both so connected and so repelled at the same time. Its like being in love of the unrequited variety!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,847 times
This is part of the reason I left NOLA. I loved the city, hated the attitude of some of my coworkers - who didn't want to know me because I was an "outsider". So, I left, and have been doing much better with my career since then.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,223 times
Look that's stupid they have so many people in metairie and kenner looking for jobs that need them and your going to move the hole company out of here just fire those who are not working hard enough or cut their hours back they will get the message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperta23 View Post
Look that's stupid they have so many people in metairie and kenner looking for jobs that need them and your going to move the hole company out of here just fire those who are not working hard enough or cut their hours back they will get the message
What's a hole company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans