Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am possibly relocating with my job to NO and in my opinion if I am going to relocate, I am going to move into the city proper, as opposed to living in Kenner or Metairie and telling people I live in New Orleans (people do that around here). I have found a few places where crime doesnt seem too bad. The place I am looking at is a few blocks from Southern Baptist Hospital, and between Napoleon and Jefferson Aves. I have used CrimeMapping.com. I live in the Baton Rouge metro area, so I am not completely ignorant of crime and there being certain areas of the city to avoid. I also, am aware that the city is not just one big party, nor are there homicides on every street corner. Any advice that you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sparklesbuttons; 08-12-2013 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: wrong street name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklesbuttons View Post
I am going to move into the city proper, as opposed to living in Kenner or Metairie and telling people I live in New Orleans
^^LOVE this^^

You're looking in a good area. You won't be disappointed. Lots of stuff to do all within a mile or so. Between Freret and the River from Napolean up to Tulane/Audubon Park is a choice area with spotty crime along the downriver portion. The closer to the park, the safer it is.

You still may have to worry about minor street flooding depending on where you are. It's only an issue if you have a really low car and happen to park on the streets in one of the trouble spots. If you give us a more specific location, we can tell you if it's prone to flooding in heavy rains.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 65,087 times
I ended up on Freret and love it.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
^^LOVE this^^

You're looking in a good area. You won't be disappointed. Lots of stuff to do all within a mile or so. Between Freret and the River from Napolean up to Tulane/Audubon Park is a choice area with spotty crime along the downriver portion. The closer to the park, the safer it is.

You still may have to worry about minor street flooding depending on where you are. It's only an issue if you have a really low car and happen to park on the streets in one of the trouble spots. If you give us a more specific location, we can tell you if it's prone to flooding in heavy rains.

Awesome!! The place I am looking at is probably literally within spitting distance of the st. Joseph orphan asylum cemetery on Washington ave and s. liberty street. I now realize that it's not in the freret area. I've looked at so many places. I often forget which ones are which.

Last edited by sparklesbuttons; 08-14-2013 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Adding information

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Awesome!! The place I am looking at is probably literally within spitting distance of the st. Joseph orphan asylum cemetery on Washington ave and s. liberty street. I now realize that it's not in the freret area. I've looked at so many places. I often forget which ones are which.
You really, really should steer clear of that area.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
You really, really should steer clear of that area.
Awesome!! Thank you so much!! What about a place on the corner of general Taylor and willow above Milan but next to freret? This is all so daunting!! I looked in the Irish channel and the LGD and it's way out of my price range for the most part. Any suggestions? Uptown would be my ideal place if I get relocated to Kenner.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 AM

21 posts, read 65,087 times
Just as a small piece of advice, go look at the places before you sign anything. A friend of mine did not and it worked out for her (though, the place she's in is overpriced by a few hundred $). But, there was a house in that area I was ready to sign on. The outside looked great, street was clean and well-kept...

The inside had roaches everywhere and things falling apart.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Awesome!! Thank you so much!! What about a place on the corner of general Taylor and willow above Milan but next to freret? This is all so daunting!! I looked in the Irish channel and the LGD and it's way out of my price range for the most part. Any suggestions? Uptown would be my ideal place if I get relocated to Kenner.
Street view is your friend. It shows two trash-strewn lots and two vacant/abandoned houses at that intersection.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM

104 posts, read 476,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Street view is your friend. It shows two trash-strewn lots and two vacant/abandoned houses at that intersection.
well, it it were live view, it would be a little more accurate. some of the street view runs are from many years ago, like Katrina recovery days, when vacant lots were common. nothing beats an in-person visit.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
well, it it were live view, it would be a little more accurate. some of the street view runs are from many years ago, like Katrina recovery days, when vacant lots were common. nothing beats an in-person visit.
True, but the street view crew was hard at work here within the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans