Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times

Advertisements

So I am a long time City-Data member and excited to visit New Orleans for the first time in my life next month! Bringing my kiddos...

But chatting with my father recently (who has been to New Orleans many times - but MANY years ago) he cautioned me as to whether it was a good idea to bring kids. Kind of giving me pause... I do generally respect my father's advice.

But I did my research online.. we are staying on Prytania St. near St. Charles. on "Family Gras" weekend. I thought we'd have fun seeing the parades not far from where we are staying, but we'll also be there during a couple weekdays.

I was thinking visiting the French Quarter on a weekday and doing a Ghost Tour on a weeknight (my kids are older and like spooky stories) Otherwise just doing the parades and some family attractions not near the FQ.

I mean, I figure it's a *city* right? People live there, and people have kids. Not sure I understand dad's concerns. He's not usually alarmist about things and he made it sound like people are bawdy drunkards on the street at all times. Should we skip the ghost tour and the FQ entirely? It would seem silly to miss it...

Just looking for some insights from locals... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I think your father is worried about the way people at the parades might behave, especially when they have a few drinks in them. During Mardi Gras, especially in the French Quarter, it gets kind of wild at times and more adult fun, than kid's sort of fun. Things may get out of hand, more than what you want your kids to be exposed to, but the wild side mainly comes after dark and in some areas only. St. Charles is a pretty nice area - I think that is in the Garden District, if I remember. The Garden District is more sedate (no less fun) than the French Quarter - beautiful homes there. If it is during Mardi Gras, you should probably take the French Quarter Ghost Tour in the daytime and I hope it includes the Lalaurie House - that is a scary place with a horrifying story. Try taking the kids out to see the plantations on an all day tour - some will take you to the well-known ones like Nottoway, Houmas, St. Francisville (spelling might be wrong on the last one). During Mardi Gras, if the kids are with you then avoiding the French Quarter at night would be a good idea. Have FUN!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Reread your post and I forgot to tell you that I am not a local, but I visited New Orleans before and had a great time. You have to try the beignets, too!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
You'll have a great time. Your ideas all sound good. Take the Canal St. streetcar to the end, and walk through the cemeteries.
Take the St Charles Ave streetcar to the end and back and stop for some great Mexican at Superior Grille. Try a roast beef poboy at Masperos on Decatur @ Toulouse.
The kids will have fun just seeing what's around them.
One final bit of advice, make sure everyone uses the bathroom before leaving your hotel. Sometimes it may be a challenge to find an available restroom while exploring the city.
Enjoy.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 AM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
I was surprised to find after experiencing Mardi Gras last year, that the parades are actually quite family friendly. Especially during the day. The FQ gets wild...but it is usually pretty wild.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
I'm in New Orleans often, but always leave kids at home. It's not because of fear of anything, it's more about depriving yourself AND the children of the full experience. Neither of you will get the full effect of this city until they are of drinking age. You will both miss out on great bars, on music shows that start at 12:00 on Frenchman street and even places that don't allow kids just because there's a video poker machine in the place. You will miss out on 100% of night life.

That said if there is no choice in babysitting, it's better to go than not. You can still do and see a lot during the day.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
So I am a long time City-Data member and excited to visit New Orleans for the first time in my life next month! Bringing my kiddos...

But chatting with my father recently (who has been to New Orleans many times - but MANY years ago) he cautioned me as to whether it was a good idea to bring kids. Kind of giving me pause... I do generally respect my father's advice.

But I did my research online.. we are staying on Prytania St. near St. Charles. on "Family Gras" weekend. I thought we'd have fun seeing the parades not far from where we are staying, but we'll also be there during a couple weekdays.

I was thinking visiting the French Quarter on a weekday and doing a Ghost Tour on a weeknight (my kids are older and like spooky stories) Otherwise just doing the parades and some family attractions not near the FQ.

I mean, I figure it's a *city* right? People live there, and people have kids. Not sure I understand dad's concerns. He's not usually alarmist about things and he made it sound like people are bawdy drunkards on the street at all times. Should we skip the ghost tour and the FQ entirely? It would seem silly to miss it...

Just looking for some insights from locals... Thanks!
I wouldn't hesitate to bring your kids.

Family Gras is an event held outside of New Orleans in Metaire.

St. Charles Ave. and Prytania St. run parallel to each other. The most family friendly place to catch a parade in the city is on Napolean Ave. Although, that first weekend is much tamer than the second, so anywhere along St. Charles is a good bet. The neighborhoods are nicer further uptown.

Just FYI, during the parades, public transit might not be available depending on where you are.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM

291 posts, read 377,972 times
People don't think of New Orleans as a place for kids, but I took all 3 of mine recently (15,12&3) and it is actually a very cool place for kids.

There is the zoo & aquarium, Mardi Gras World, Carriage tours,Cafe Du Monde & Morning Call (in Metairie) for beignets,French Quarter, Jackson Square for the art & street performers,Parades,Cemetary tours,City Park-this place is fantastic with a carousel & other rides as well as Storyland. I even took them to the French Quarter on a Friday night.I did not feel unsafe at all- I just did not wonder off out of the mainstream and used common sense. It was a great cultural experience for them. They are still talking about it.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,279 times
My 6 years old loves the aquarium, the butterfly garden ( they added hummingbirds recently ) the Zoo especially in summer when he could plays in the water park and his top on the list is the WWII museum. We are impress with the WWII museum with the IMAX such a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans