Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,119 times

Advertisements

I am moving to New Orleans this fall and looking on the internet at the Muses Apartments at 1780 Baronne Street. I am not familiar with New Orleans so was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether this area is safe or a good place to live? I have a family (2 year old) so would like a place where I don't have to worry too much about crime (other than the usual city stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
not a good neighborhood, dangerous

Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM

77 posts, read 158,852 times
are the apartments in an apartment building or like a community? if it's an apartment complex you should be fine especially if you are on the second floor....

Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 AM

And the walk to the car, carrying groceries, driving in the neighborhood, car jacking ?? please! you can't just live in your apartment. There are safer places in Jefferson Parish, avoid New Orleans altogether if you want lower taxes, cheaper insurance for car and house and greater personal safety. Crime in New Orleans is like the adage about termites, " it is not IF but When you will have a problem" On the other hand I lived there for 68 years and was only held up once at gunpoint, had one auto stolen and had my items stolen from my car three or four times, Lucky I guess.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
not a good neighborhood, dangerous
This is a bit overblown as I doubt you have spend much time in that part of New Orleans in the past 5 years.

The Muses apartment complex is nice and it's not necessarily in a bad neighborhood. It has gated parking and is only 2 blocks from St. Charles Ave. The Young Leadership Council has their headquarters across the street, the boxing gym is across from that, Cafe Reconcile is getting renovated, the Zeitgeist theater is down the street, etc.

The problem is that the neighborhood starts to deteriorate quickly once you get upriver of Jackson Ave. or cross Oretha Castle Haley towards the lake, so you need to pay attention. You're not IN a bad neighborhood, but you're not too far away from one. This place wouldn't be #1 on my list because the neighborhood still isn't quite there yet, but if the price is right....

If you're looking for complexes, the Saulet and 1205 St. Charles are better options if you want to stay in the Lower Garden District area. Where will you be working?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM

77 posts, read 158,852 times
i was just talking about house safety. if there is gated parking that's a big plus since you won't have to carry your groceries to and from your car out in the wide open. If the price is right...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 11,119 times
Thanks everyone for the information. I will be working at Tulane Medical School.

I was not looking to necessarily live in the lower garden district, I just thought the apartments looked decent and the price better than similar apartments (not talking about the area, just how the pictures and amenities look). As long as I am within 10-15 min drive.

We would prefer uptown, but I don't see many places to rent there, so we're really open to any area. The biggest thing we are looking for is relative safety and ability to walk to a park where my toddler could run around a bit. I don't think we would rent for long since we will probably buy within the year once we get a feel for the area.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Look up Dr. Benjamin Lee at Tulane Medical. He saved my life and is a good source for local information. I know he will give you an honest evaluation.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM

100 posts, read 227,008 times
Would like to hear more info on these apartments from anyone who lives there. Feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans