Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 PM

31 posts, read 36,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Over the last 6 months I've been doing some heavy research around where I want to live next. I am planning to move in April of 2015. I grew up in Pennsylvania, moved to Seattle in 1995, where I lived for 13 years (and loved) until I moved to Buffalo, NY to take a job in academia. For various reasons I decided to leave the job in 2013, in part because I have always wanted to live somewhere warmer and sunnier than anyplace I have lived to date (and I *HATE*) being cold. I just could not see myself here for another 5-10-20 years!

Ultimately, I think San Diego would be the perfect match for me weather wise, and in other respects too, but it is just too expensive. For similar reasons I have also ruled out Austin, TX and Charleston, NC, (I don't want to live way out in the suburbs to be able to afford them) and I'm not so sure I'd really like living full time in Phoenix or Tucson. As of now, and after a visit in October, I decided on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina since it's warmer than Buffalo (milder Winters and long hot Summers), growing economically, affordable, has a nice sized population and the accompanying amenities, and isn't crazy far from the beach (2.5 hours by car), which I love. I was impressed by the region over-all and what it offered. There were also a ton of colleges and universities there, and as an academic that appeals to me, and could be helpful for my consulting business.

However, given my criteria (outlined below), several people in other forums recommended New Orleans too, and I want to see what other people thought:

1.) A short and mild to no Winter (in Buffalo it's cold to very cold November through March, with a decent amount of snow). Hot Summers are fine, and so is humidity.

2.) Affordability; the ability to get a 1-BR apartment (or even a studio or some small space) for $750-$900 a month.

3.) Either good/safe walkable neighborhoods or reliable mass-transit, or both. I have a car, but I really enjoy not using it (and even contemplated getting rid of it, especially if car-sharing is available).

4.) Some associated colleges and universities.

I think I would love N.O. for many reasons -- the culture, the food, the architecture and history -- but would it fit my other criteria? I did visit once, but it was over a decade ago.

THANKS!
Yes I rec comes New Orleans . housing costs is nothing compared to S.D.s prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People do that everywhere there are cars.
There's only 3 cities I've been to where I *hated* getting on the road more. DC, Boston, and NYC... in that order.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
U could not pay me to live there
A former resident

Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 AM

643 posts, read 978,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A former resident
Sleep won't be loss because you don't want to be here....seriously.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Louisiana roads are known to be the worst in the country. New Orleans has an excuse (an excuse and nothing more because they're much worse than Jefferson Parish or St Bernard), because the land sinks here. I thought north Louisiana was bad, but if you're not going the speed limit on even major roads, you can unwittingly hit a hole that tears your car up.

I drive a Versa and I had to detour through the lower 9th one day to avoid the draw bridge and almost fell into the earth and was never heard from again. I probably would've fell all the way to the moon.

People drive scooters here a lot
Are sinkholes also a problem in the region?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are sinkholes also a problem in the region?
Only around areas that have a lot of fracking, definitely not in the metro. Our ground is some of the youngest, softest ground on the planet, it's always sinking because of subsidence, and our streets are rained on more than any major city in the USA. Plus our state government doesn't really care about roads. You'll see a crew putting tar over the same hole that opened up few months ago (Orleans Parish is NOTORIOUS for that more than the other parishes). I call em fix-a-flat road repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A former resident
Well thankfully for the rest of the people that live here, the city is still pretty fun to live in. Although I'm sure it's not as fun without somebody as joyful as you!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:18 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
Default Yes!

YES! And that is exactly what I would like to be able to do . . . walk or use transit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Well the good thing about NOLA is that, unless you're in one of the suburbs (Slidell, Metairie, Kenner, etc), you don't really need a car. The city is very easy to get around by using the streetcar/buses or just walking.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Here's some I found that seem to be within the budget you put in your first post:1 Apartments for Rent in New Orleans, LA - Apartments.com

I'm thinking of finding a job down there this summer (I miss it so much), so I'm doing some apartment-hunting myself.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
Default Cool!

WOW! Thanks! Some of these look workable! I am so excited about the possibility of NOLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Here's some I found that seem to be within the budget you put in your first post:1 Apartments for Rent in New Orleans, LA - Apartments.com

I'm thinking of finding a job down there this summer (I miss it so much), so I'm doing some apartment-hunting myself.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Just got back from a week in nola after an absence of 12 yrs .

FABULOSO!

I think this is the 2nd best city in the US to live after NYC (my native land).
It is the velveteen rabbit of cities and if I did not desire year round warmth (like sofla where I live now) among other things, NOLA is where I'd be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans