Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,565 times

Advertisements

Aloha from Hawaii! My husband, three kids and myself will be moving to NO in June and I have no clue about the area! We are very excited but feel very overwhelmed with the idea of finding a house, good schools, etc.

I have two questions. First, would it be insane to visit just before Mardi Gras? We are both available to come visit Jan 23-27th but we are wondering if that would be a really bad time. We need to get a REAL feel for the city...any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, can anyone recommend a good real estate agency, we want to buy a house but we need a realtor with LOTS of information.

Thanks so much!

Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohafromhawaii View Post
Aloha from Hawaii! My husband, three kids and myself will be moving to NO in June and I have no clue about the area! We are very excited but feel very overwhelmed with the idea of finding a house, good schools, etc.

I have two questions. First, would it be insane to visit just before Mardi Gras? We are both available to come visit Jan 23-27th but we are wondering if that would be a really bad time. We need to get a REAL feel for the city...any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, can anyone recommend a good real estate agency, we want to buy a house but we need a realtor with LOTS of information.

Thanks so much!

Aloha!
I don't think it will very bad, but is it possible to wait until Mardi Gras has concluded on Feb 5 ?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM

191 posts, read 698,261 times
When I'm in NO, I stay in an amazing one bedroom apartment that is rented out by the owner who is an amazing woman! Her name is Pat Kahn and the apartment is in 1822 Bougainvillea House Bed & Breakfast. Moderator cut: edit BTW, the apartment I stay in which is separate from the house is the Riverboat Suite.

Good luck on your move!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-06-2008 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: sorry, no realtor advertising or endorsements on CD

Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,422 times
It's a lot more hectic starting the weekend before Mardi Gras, so you should be fine for the 23rd-27th. They usually have more family friendly parades that weekend anyway. There will be more locals, and regional people who want to do Mardi Gras before the real crowds come in.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 25
  • Orleans / Jefferson
  • Oshun - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
  • Atlas - Metairie, 6:30 p.m.
  • Cleopatra - West Bank, 6:30 p.m.
  • Excalibur - Metairie, 7:00 p.m.
  • Pygmalion - Uptown, 7:00 p.m.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26
  • Orleans / Jefferson
  • Pontchartrain - Uptown, 1:00 p.m.
  • Shangri-La - Uptown, 2:00 p.m.
  • Caesar - Metairie, 6:00 p.m.
  • Sparta - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
  • Pegasus - Uptown, 6:45 p.m.
Sorry, can't help much on the housing situation though. Have fun.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of the info! One more question about schools. I have been looking at Newman, Trinity and St. Georges but have missed all of their application deadlines (Jan. 1st). Are these very competitive schools to get in to or do I still have a chance?

Aloha

Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM

54 posts, read 282,526 times
I think you have a chance if you speak to the admissions offices about your situation. The private schools are hurting due to the reduced population.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,334 times
Hi -
We are moving to the area from hawaii as well- are you military?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes, my husband is in the Marine Corps. We actually just visited New Orleans a couple of weeks ago to look at schools and houses so if you have any questions please feel free to email me. Moderator cut: please contact via DM or email if enabled through this board...thanks

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-06-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 10,295 times
Default Schools in New Orleans

The school thing is pretty tricky here. I have my kids in a private school, and its a great school, but on top of high property taxes, you can find yourself paying out of the nose for a private school. Someone mentioned St George's, Trinity, and one other school earlier... All very good. All very expensive too. I've been researching this for months now and there is very little grey area, but St Andrew's on Oak kind of walks the line between the affordable Catholic schools and the pretty expensive (12K - 16K) private schools. For girls, the choices are a little better. For boys, there are two others worth researching, Stuart Hall and Christian Bros. They are closer to the 8K - 10K mark. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans