Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:01 AM

13 posts, read 15,736 times

Advertisements

Since 2005, Six Flags New Orleans have been closed for Hurricane Katrina. and remain closed.

In 2008, Southern Star Amusement Inc supposed to take over Six Flags New Orleans, and not happen.

In 2009, The site supposed to transform into a Nickelodeon theme park, not happen.

In 2011, This site was supposed to turn into Jazzland Outlet Mall, Now, not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:29 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Here's a more recent update on what's going on:

Six Flags redevelopment committee dismisses Jazzland revival proposals, for now | NOLA.com

Things still don't seem very hopeful.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,563 times
The fact is that Jazzland was a failure. Even after Six Flags bought it, the park performed so miserably that after the flood, they chose not to even bother reopening. I say we tear down those old rusty rides and start something new.

...we can't afford to be idealistic over the idea of having an amusement park again.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
The fact is that Jazzland was a failure. Even after Six Flags bought it, the park performed so miserably that after the flood, they chose not to even bother reopening. I say we tear down those old rusty rides and start something new.

...we can't afford to be idealistic over the idea of having an amusement park again.
I wonder how a water park would do? Something like the one in Baton Rouge. Every time I pass by that place in the summer it looks really busy, but it's a long drive from New Orleans. As hot as it gets down here in the summer, you would think something like that could be successful.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM

I don't think another generic shopping mall would do well. Maybe an outdoor mall like you see in Scottsdale Arizona. Or something closer to home, Pier Park in Panama city beach.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I wonder how a water park would do? Something like the one in Baton Rouge. Every time I pass by that place in the summer it looks really busy, but it's a long drive from New Orleans. As hot as it gets down here in the summer, you would think something like that could be successful.
Blue Bayou not far at all. You are about a mile into EBR Parish and 45min away from the spillway.

Still, it baffles me how New Orleans can't keep an amusement park open.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Blue Bayou not far at all. You are about a mile into EBR Parish and 45min away from the spillway.

Still, it baffles me how New Orleans can't keep an amusement park open.
Yeah, it's not that far, but it is far enough away to keep me from buying a season pass. We have a family membership for the zoo and I take my daughter about once a month. I probably wouldn't do that if it was in Baton Rouge.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,846 times
That's way too far of a drive for shopping. There's no reason a Six Flags or something wouldn't make money, that's just something more for tourists to see while they're here.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I don't think another generic shopping mall would do well. Maybe an outdoor mall like you see in Scottsdale Arizona. Or something closer to home, Pier Park in Panama city beach.
In 2009, an open-air concept was proposed for the former site of the Plaza in the East. Nothing's come of it. Lake Forest Plaza redevelopment plan detailed | NOLA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
That's way too far of a drive for shopping. There's no reason a Six Flags or something wouldn't make money, that's just something more for tourists to see while they're here.
You would think so, but it failed miserably before. I don't think it would be the best use of funds to rebuild something that never worked in the first place.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 PM

73 posts, read 129,571 times
I've been told they are making a killing from allowing movies to be filmed there. I wouldn't be too quick to revamp the place if I was making a lot of money on its wrecked condition, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans